• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Parasyte -the maxim- (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:25 am Reply with quote
Well, Kanna wins the spoiler[Darwin Award] for this series so far.

Last edited by Kruszer on Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Character A to Character B: "Don't do this one thing."

Character B does that one thing.

I am always annoyed at that kind of scripting as well. This case was particularly egregious because it seems that Shinichi failed to say "Don't do this or you will DIE IMMEDIATELY. Did you know how all those students and faculty died and did you know my mother died that way? That will be you."

If she ignored a warning like that then she is either a baby in an alligator pit unable to comprehend, or she is actively suicidal and determined to do herself in anyway. What difference is it whether she is Door A or Door B. How would you like to give a girl like that driving lessons?
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
Yeah, spoiler[her death is suppose to be really tragic, but considering she did exactly what he told her would kill her, I really can't feel sad at it. Sure it's a hard sell, but considering there's already rumor going around (and there school was targeted twice) and she suddenly has ESP, it's really shouldn't be that hard to accept it.]

Though Shinichi would have had a much easier time convince Migi if he pointed out that her parasite sensing ability could have come in handy to them for when he's sleeping. Also Shinichi could have told her to seek out the government help, since there already talking about a way to detect them (and it's public knowledge), having a human capable of detecting them would be both believable and invaluable, so they'd have protected her and save countless human. Don't worry Shinichi, parasite taking over your brain is a damn good thing in my book, can only help you Wink

Anyway, easily the best new series this year, with Migi being the best new character.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I never really liked Kana because of her pushy personality, she seemed like a person who always gets her way, mainly through bossing other people (guys) around. She started to develop and trying to get things by actually doing things herself, but at the expense of other people's (Murano) feelings.

So not too sad spoiler[to see her go, she sort of brought it onto herself. She was too stuck up in believing that she will convince Shinichi into falling in love with her and her 'superpower', sort of forgetting about all the victims of parasytes.]

Looking forward to the development of this.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13:

Good episode overall with the aftermath of spoiler[Kana's death. There's a lot of things going through Shinchi's mind right now and I don't blame him for trying to hide his feelings. Nonetheless, they were discovered by another person who has been keeping tabs on them so....that's another problem as well.]

Speaking of problems, spoiler[his relationship with Murano is taking a sour turn again? Wow.] Expecting new OP song soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Shinichi came to the organized parasites attention.
So Reiko had her baby... that's gonna be a weird family situation..
Shinichi being followed and filmed.
It was a weird situation when that camera guy got discovered.
He saw Migi and that's not good.
Wonder what kind of consequences that will have.
Izumi's relationship with Satomi is getting worse again.]
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
My absolute favorite part from the episode was when Reiko spoiler[comes home to the nanny and notices her baby crying, then calmly walks over to the baby and whispers "quiet!" and the baby instantly stops crying. (The sub used "quiet," but I am not sure if the Japanese word was sleep?)] Anyway, that was just hilarious. And she spoiler[turns to the frightened nanny and says "I have it well trained."] This show just has such great characters in it. I love both her and Migi.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
And she spoiler[turns to the frightened nanny and says "I have it well trained."] This show just has such great characters in it. I love both her and Migi.

There are parents in real life that are like that.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Izumi seems to have figured out his increasing lack of emotional stress when faced with situations involving the death of people close to him. His predicament with spoiler[the private investigator] looks like it's up for a long drawn-out struggle both with the spoiler[Parasyte group ] and his own demons.

Tamiya Reiko certainly has the art of raising babies down to the fine art of spoiler[breaking animals in ]. For those who don't understand Japanese, 黙れ is the command form for "to silence". In English, the blunt way to say it is "shut up".

The most dangerous thing Izumi faces isn't the threat of public exposure, but the spoiler[shadowy machinations of Reiko and her group by the looks of things.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 13

The most frustrating part is the lack of understanding or forgetting about one the most important parts of a human's abilities, communication and how little things can impact how people treat each other.

Rather than just spoiler[killing the investigator, the best course of action would have been catching, interrogating, and intimidation]. They needed to find out how much spoiler[he knew, why he was following him, and what evidence he had, just killing him could be even worse if he was known to be following Shinichi]. Rather than lie in saying nothing is wrong or nothing happened, it would in fact be much better to come up with at least a good fake reason than no reason at all, denial built onto itself only breeds suspicion. And lastly it is that an unchanged human can indeed be helpful in helping Shinichi blend in better since other humans are noticing something is wrong, Migi should be convinced of this.

Although I did just recently finish the first two seasons of The Walking Dead game, so I have had communication on my mind, and made me feel emotionally drained.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 14:

Good episode overall. spoiler[Really liked the buildup and the way Migi intimidated those guys. And not only that, Uda returns which is quite refreshing after all the drama that went on. I thought that was refreshing tbh. Shinichi's mental state isn't going too well though and it doesn't help with Murano's relationship with him recently. Semi-clifhanger.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Izumi sure is changing... feels like he's slowly losing his humanity.
The more he clings to humanity, the more he loses it.
That nosy guy sure was persistent.
It was nice to watch Migi put him in his place.
Tamura pulled a fast one over Shinichi again..
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
50/50 on whether the detective keeps his word.

spoiler[ Parasytes listening in on biological ethics? What has the world come to? ]

spoiler[ Tamura laughs naturally, but she has to work on that facial expression. It still looks somewhat forced even though she got enough practice in her own flat. ]

spoiler[ Hole in the chest? A metaphorical way of putting it but it doesn't look like Izumi is going to see it filled any time soon. ]

Next week's trailer looks interesting. It seems the pace is going to pick up.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Ryoko's character's development seems predictable, but in the execution is very enjoyable, all the scenes with her baby I was expecting them to be tiresome but they are even funny. Now THAT'S the way you should wear your children.

Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
^
That image had me burst out laughing when I saw it in the episode. God I love this show.

For me, the Parasytes are one of the best villains of all time - although I'm not sure they can properly be classed as villains. They have their own internally consistent logic and if you shrug off your humancentricism, you have to acknowledge that they have a legitimate point of view. I love how they and their attitudes are evolving. "We realize it's not safe for us to just go around killing humans." Indeed.

And just as Shinichi is changing, so is Migi. Earlier, he would spoiler[have killed that "PI" without hesitation, regardless of how Shinichi felt about it. I don't believe it is just pure calculation on his part not to kill the PI ... I think he is starting to be contaminated by Shinichi's humanity.]

A truly fascinating show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 26