• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Death Note: Way beyond good (spoilers!!)

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KyoKun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:08 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one here who was actually glad to see spoiler[L die]? (Probably not, but still...)

Everyone I talk to loves L so much, I thought him to be extremely aggravating. I actually liked the series a lot better in the latter portion of the Manga. Mello is amazing, in my opinion. At first I was extremely disappointed in his spoiler[subtle death] , to me it was basically spoiler['Oh well Mello is dead, heh okay cool, bye.' ]

spoiler[But at the end when they revealed Mello's death had a purpose that contributed to Light's down fall, it made me much happier. It was almost like Mello became valiant,] I'm such a quark.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:21 pm Reply with quote
KyoKun wrote:
Am I the only one here who was actually glad to see spoiler[L die]? (Probably not, but still...)

Well, I can say that I was glad to see spoiler[Light win, because whoever would have been the winner of that little game was going to live, the loser would definetly die. I was more hoping Light would have won against Near, I don't know what happened there though.]
KyoKun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
[quote="fighterholic"]
KyoKun wrote:

Well, I can say that I was glad to see spoiler[Light win, because whoever would have been the winner of that little game was going to live, the loser would definetly die. I was more hoping Light would have won against Near, I don't know what happened there though.][/quote

Actually, I should of stated that I was routing for Light. But it just made me happy that Mello played an important role in it, it gave his character more of a purpose so to speak.
Antimonitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Just finished reading Volume 12 and I'm a bit torn on what I think of the ending and the series.

Pros

spoiler[- I really like that Light was, more than anything, brought down by his own pride. He could have won easily if he'd taken the Shinigami eyes but he wanted to live long enough to be exalted in his "new world" (and he didn't seem to think that Ryuk probably wouldn't let him have his full lifespan anyways). He probably could have won easily if he'd publicly come out as Kira in the later volumes; since he already had so much of the world on his side, Near and Mello would have been insignificant...but his pride wouldn't let him do that without first defeating his opponents and (by extension) L.]
- spoiler[Ryuk's involvement]; he was my favorite character in the series and good to see him actually take some action.
- Liked that the series was from Light's perspective, focused more on the "villain".
- spoiler[Light's death scene was well-drawn and well-written.]

Cons

- spoiler[Even under that much stress, I can't believe Light couldn't have thought of a more subtle way to write Near's name on the fragment of paper in his watch. Couldn't have been that to difficult to stand with his back turned and hands clasped in front of him, slowly open the watch and write 9 letters...rather than just whipping it out and trying to scrawl quickly.]
- The last half of Volume 12 was really good, but not even close to good enough to justify the series meandering for the last 4.5 volumes. The story dragged, previously important characters just faded into the scenery (Ryuk, Misa), it got repetitive and was a chore to read. I think the series would have been better with only 1.5 - 2 volumes post-spoiler[time-skip]. Great first half (also had more action to break up the exposition), solid ending, latter half was awful.
- Don't think I'll bother with the anime series. Even the early volumes didn't seem like they'd lend themselves that well to animation but I really can't see sitting through however many episodes of Light vs Near to get to the ending again.
Treetastic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:39 am Reply with quote
KyoKun wrote:

Everyone I talk to loves L so much, I thought him to be extremely aggravating. I actually liked the series a lot better in the latter portion of the Manga. Mello is amazing, in my opinion. At first I was extremely disappointed in his spoiler[subtle death] , to me it was basically spoiler['Oh well Mello is dead, heh okay cool, bye.' ]

spoiler[But at the end when they revealed Mello's death had a purpose that contributed to Light's down fall, it made me much happier. It was almost like Mello became valiant,] I'm such a quark.

At first I was upset that spoiler[L died], because I didn't feel like Near was spoiler[an adequate replacement. ] But by the end, where spoiler[Near and Mello started to work together, they really were better than L. I have to agree about Mello's death. It really made him a much better character, looking back, that he could have done what he did.] L was really starting to grate on me by volume 5; I don't think he got enough character development around there IMHO. But he was somewhat realistic (that was what sold him as a character, at least to me).
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:54 am Reply with quote
Okay, I know I'm late, but I finished the final volume last night and have to say this was a great piece of writing. All the plot twists were certainly top-notch mystery material and worthy of a Masterpiece rating. I was especially pleased with the ending spoiler[ with Ryuuk killing Light, because I personally couldn't stand his ideals and was glad to see Kira gone from this world.]

I just don't like the idea of a single entity deciding who lives or dies. Granted, the legal systems around the world can be screwed up and too lenient at times when rapists and murders only get a handful of years until parole, but I believe in karma, and that people will always get their comeuppance in the end spoiler[ just like Kira did].

My favorite character is L, and as much as some people disparage him, I still enjoyed his rather dark, yet quirky personality. On top of that, he had a knack for sticking his nose in to ruffle things up pretty well. It was a little grating at first to see his persistence, but I'd take him over Kira based on ideals alone. spoiler[ The fact that Light was still able to kill him didn't cause me to lose interest in the series afterwards, though I can't say I liked Near/Mello as much either.]

The second half did seem to draw out a little towards the end with all of the dialogue of explaining how things came to fruition, but I'm glad the series only lasted 12 volumes. I don't know if I'd be able to take another arc and an nth Kira with all of the sleuthing, planning, and discovering required to make it seem entertaining.

All in all, though, after reading the series with a little bit of the anime voices incorporated into my head, I thoroughly enjoyed it. And hearing that were a few differences in the anime that might not go so well with me, in particular the way they presented the ending, I might just stick with the manga and wait for some really cheap box set of the anime someday. But until then, this manga is definitely worth the investment. You can get them for $5.71 per volume at Deep Discount.
ultrapostman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I finished Death Note last week, and I have to say that it was a great series worthy of the Masterpiece rating, but only just. I'm one of those, " After spoiler[L dies] the series started to decline" people. It's not that I'm a huge fan of L, but I just don't think that Near and Mello were as good as he was. It's true when Near said spoiler[that together they could surpass L] but that's just it; they barely work together at all until volume 12! The only time I can think of is when spoiler[Mello led Mogi to the SPK's building, and maybe when the two of them exchanged information]. It focused heavily on Mello when he was introduced, but he slowly started fading into the backround after spoiler[he lost the Death Note]. Then it started to focus on Near more, until Mello was nowhere to be seen (did he even appear in volume 11 at all?). Personally, that was my only problem with Death Note, but I think it was a significant one.

[EDIT: Fixed your spoiler tags. -TK]
Lunarose

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Okay. Misa lifespan clarification!

Techinically, her eye trade wasn't that stupid. No? spoiler[When Jealous saved Misa, I'm pretty sure the rest of his lifespan was given to her, adding an almost abnormal amount of years to her life. So when she did the eye deal twice, it wouldn't have been that bad.] That's pretty much my theory for her. I don't think she's stupid at all, she's just surrounded by people like Light, Near, L, etc.

Oh, and Matsuda deserves his own fanclub. That's all.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quote
Whatever happened to her lifespan, it was made pretty obvious that spoiler[she made it four times shorter than what she had it to be before she became involved with Kira/Light. It could not have been very long, even if she had years added onto her lifespan, because she committed suicide not long after Light died.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12