• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Creator Kishimoto Talks End of the Series, International Fans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm gonna start from chapter 1 and read it all again.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I just finished the manga less than a week ago and I'm already missing it!! I feel the ending was very good by comparison to the last few years of the war arc. I still think part 1 is the best, followed by shippuden up to the end of the Pain arc, the remainder leading up to the finale I pretend doesn't exists, and the finale is great!

I'm very glad that part 3 is happening, hopefully it'll resemble part 1 more than shippuden in it's overall style (Im totally down to see genin going on missions with their sensei with all humor in between)
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I am shocked so many people were pulling for NaruSakura. She seems to be the most hated character by a mile, so I don't know why you pair her with the main character. On the flipside, Hinata seems to be the most liked female character, as even admitted by the anime staff, and her consistently being the highest ranked female in the character polls despite being in like 5 chapters.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was a fantastic ending, and true to the spirit of the series. The epilogue was a little sappy, it was the ultimate happy ending for as many characters as possible (except Neiji), but I like happy endings.

Quote:
Edit: An alternative way to phrase my venting would be...
It's one thing to complain to the service provider or goods producer if you're a paying customer. But if you're freeloading, shut the **** up.

To be fair, I always read the scanlations on Thursdays. . . and I have a US Jump subscription and reread them on Mondays (or skim when they aren't great). Not everyone who reads scans is a freeloader.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I am shocked so many people were pulling for NaruSakura. She seems to be the most hated character by a mile, so I don't know why you pair her with the main character. On the flipside, Hinata seems to be the most liked female character, as even admitted by the anime staff, and her consistently being the highest ranked female in the character polls despite being in like 5 chapters.

I ship her with Naruto because I like the lead male and females together. As far as why as Hinata is more popular in the polls (besides the fact she has big boobs), I suppose it's the difference in personalities and perhaps the archaic yamato nadeshiko has something to do with it.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:33 am Reply with quote
I don't think the "bad guy" won, so much as Naruto convinced him to be a "good guy" again. It was trite and predictable, but I think it was still a fairly satisfying ending for a shonen manga. As for Sakura; it's not like she was ever written very well, so it's not unexpected that her ending was somewhat disappointing.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:21 am Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:
But today there were server load issues since everybody wanted to check out the finale; I don't think people were able to login until 2-2:30 EST.

While your point still stands, I was able to start reading Viz's Shonen Jump starting at about 10:15 AM Pacific, or 1:15 PM Eastern. When I clicked on the link at abut 10:12, I got a blank Shonen Jump layout with a bunch of loading, then after three minutes, it loaded this week's issue.

Ohoni wrote:
I thought it was a fantastic ending, and true to the spirit of the series. The epilogue was a little sappy, it was the ultimate happy ending for as many characters as possible (except Neiji), but I like happy endings.

Don't forget Tenten.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:25 am Reply with quote
I have to agree, I did not like the ending as well. It was like everything in Part 2 didn't matter at all. And it seems it was all rushed to introduce Part 3, which is more like Dragonball GT.

I dislike Naruto becoming a neglectful and angry father, instead of being a happy family and a beloved Hokage. Hinata obviously wasn't a good mother to the boy since he's lashing out for attention. Ino x Sai? Chouji x Karui? (that came out of the blue) and Kiba with the Uchiha Cat Girl? Wha? And what ever happened to Gaara and Matsuri?

Then there is Sasuke ending up with Sakura, I find this just wrong given all he done 99.5% of the series was nothing but degrade her with insults and four murder attempts, and even in the fight with Kagura, telling Naruto to drop her into the lava. But he magically is redeemed with a simple "Sorry"? Then he ends up with her, only to become a dead beat father? All while she's a housewife and not a respected doctor?

I hate to say it, but the Sakura haters were right that she really was a horrible character and in the end, her development meant nothing. It bothers me is that this sets a bad example for teenagers. Call me a hater all you want, but this ending is bad.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:

This ending is not bad because of shipping. It's bad because of bad writing, lots of plotholes (Where's Orochimaru? Probably in the same place Zuko's mom is) and an ending where the villain wins. That is why it's a bad ending. Oh, and don't forget the lead being a horrible father (which is just jarring for a character that's both an orphan and is capable of making clones of himself that are extensions of himself. He can literally be in two places at once!) to set up the needless spinoff.

Yeah, they didn't really resolve Orochimaru, but by that point he was a sideshow and semi-reformed, so presumably he either mellowed and never caused any more trouble, or they put him down.

And no, the villain didn't win. Madara and Kaguya both die. If you mean Sasuke, he was never the villain, he was a rival and secondary antagonist. He was misguided but ultimately well intentioned, and by abandoning his ambitions he resolved the primary conflict surrounding him. Naruto won.

Also, I don't think Naruto is a horrible father, Bolt's just a spoiled son. Remember that Konohamaru was the same way. You guys are being extremely judgmental of his parenting skills, are any of you parents yourselves?

As for Sakura, the heart wants what the heart wants. She got her man. Also, I forget, but did Sasuke ever actually attempt to kill her, or just repeatedly try to scare her off?

Quote:

Don't forget Tenten.

In a world at peace, her ultimate happy ending isn't possible. Wink Still, she didn't seem too bad off.

I also highly doubt he intends to do a long term "next generation" story, I think he just wanted to give the fans a well resolved future. It's possible some other writer will pick it up or he'll do another one-shot or mini, but I think he wants to do something completely different.

Quote:
Ino x Sai? Chouji x Karui? (that came out of the blue) and Kiba with the Uchiha Cat Girl? Wha? And what ever happened to Gaara and Matsuri?

I like that all the relationships aren't just clear-cut pairings. They lead what fifteen years or so of life after the end of the series? How many people meet their soulmate by 16? We don't know what adventures Chouji and Karui had before hooking up, but apparently they worked out. With Kiba, it looks like he's not married, probably just flirting. As for Matsuri? Who knows, she's a relatively minor character. Maybe they got married, maybe she was never heard from again.

Quote:

Then there is Sasuke ending up with Sakura, I find this just wrong given all he done 99.5% of the series was nothing but degrade her with insults and four murder attempts, and even in the fight with Kagura, telling Naruto to drop her into the lava. But he magically is redeemed with a simple "Sorry"? Then he ends up with her, only to become a dead beat father? All while she's a housewife and not a respected doctor?

She was vital to their defeating Kaguya and saving their lives in the end. Is she "just a housewife," in the end, or is she "just a housewife" like Izumi Curtis. All we know from her appearance is that she has a daughter and that she was cleaning up the place, that gives no information that says she doesn't also have a job. We also don't know that Sasuke isn't around relatively often, or what he might be doing, I doubt he just wandered off for no reason.

When is the movie set? I think it's in between the last two chapters right? So maybe it explores some of this stuff with more room to do so.
_Darkblondie_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:07 am Reply with quote
it was a great finale for the Naruto. Since I didn't care about pairings that much it would be OK for me either way but still I am glad for NaruHina ending. People are just overreacting. (this is a battle manga not love manga) I wonder if same thing happen to Toriyama when he decided Goku x Chichi and Vegeta x Bulma back then lol

I enjoyed Part 1 and Part 2 (till the end of Pain invasion arc) and I agree the 4th great ninja war took so long and it wasn't as great as we expected.. but the final showdown between Naruto and Sasuke was amazing and then we saw Naruto as Hokage! this was the best possible ending for this manga...
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:09 am Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:
can we even really call it part 2 anymore? honestly this "part 2 we keep talking about encompassed more than 85% of the entire story.

27 out of the total 72 volumes are Part 1.

Part 1: 37.5%
Part 2: 62.5%

Approximately the same ratio of the difference between Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. (Part 1: 38%, Part 2: 62%)
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:02 am Reply with quote
Given his relatively young age, expect Kishimoto-san to take a one-year break before starting a new manga series. Given the success of Naruto, he deserves it.
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
He's FORTY? He looks like he's in his twenties. I'll have what he's having...

I think most of the pairings at the end were just him having fun. He wanted us to fill in the blanks with whatever stories we wanted to. He's provided fodder for fan fiction for years.

I thought it interesting that in the end he gave Hinata and Sakura the mates that they wanted.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
He's FORTY? He looks like he's in his twenties. I'll have what he's having...

I think most of the pairings at the end were just him having fun. He wanted us to fill in the blanks with whatever stories we wanted to. He's provided fodder for fan fiction for years.

I thought it interesting that in the end he gave Hinata and Sakura the mates that they wanted.

As the series progressed, Sakura was torn between an emo ninja and the hero. Like I said earlier, since he gave 2/3 of the main Naruto hetero shippings endings, I find it would be appropriate that NaruSaku gets an ending.

Another reason why NaruSaku shippers are angry is that all that development our couple had over the years seems like it went down the drain.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
So it's finally over. So this film coming out is supposed to tie into the final act? I've been seeing the ads all over the place so I was curious if it was really coming to an end.

I'm curious to know what's in the works for post Naruto.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5