• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yūsaku Shibata's Yoakemono Manga Ends in Shonen Jump

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Unless this was mean to be a brief series, it sounds like it wasn't doing well.
Jajanken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god are you serious? I thought this manga finished like 3 years ago...
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I've always wondered how some manga series get judged and then cancelled. Don't know if it is the case with this series, but if it's actually one that has been cancelled, how'd they decide this? Polls or surveys?

I ask because its first collected volume isn't out until December, so it isn't based on sales...?
Ushio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
I've always wondered how some manga series get judged and then cancelled. Don't know if it is the case with this series, but if it's actually one that has been cancelled, how'd they decide this? Polls or surveys?

I ask because its first collected volume isn't out until December, so it isn't based on sales...?

This site (http://weeklyjump.livejournal.com/) has the rankings and any new series that gets in bottom 5 is at risk (unless it sells 200,000 plus copy's a volume).
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

This site (http://weeklyjump.livejournal.com/) has the rankings and any new series that gets in bottom 5 is at risk (unless it sells 200,000 plus copy's a volume).

Those aren't actually rankings - they're the table of contents of each week's Jump. I believe the general belief is that, minus color page placement, they tend to reflect how well the series did on surveys 8 weeks previously? (It's been a while since I've followed it regularly, take that number with a grain of salt - especially since I don't think it was ever actually confirmed.)
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

Read Bakuman. It explains everything you'll ever need to know about Shonen Jump.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
WSJ issues come with polling postcards, so readers can fill them out and mail them in. There's debate over how reflective the table of contents are with the internal rankings and how far in the past they go, but the main takeaway agreed on is that being a bottom dweller for a long period of time is a very bad sign.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
One way of looking at is that has enough material to make a few OVA episodes without filler.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
^Which will never happen because it was clearly axed due to impopularity. More people need to read Bakuman to understand why series get killed so quickly in the wild jungle of WSJ.

Kind of a shame since I really like historical manga/anime and the art looks decent
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Jajanken wrote:
Oh my gosh are you serious? I thought this manga finished like 3 years ago...

This manga didn't even exist three years ago...

The Table of Contents, like others have said is pretty much the ranking for the series. That's why series near the bottom tend to go pretty quickly. They put the series people want to read in the front of the magazine, and the less popular stuff goes in the back.

Sporting Salt will probably be next. It had its first rank in this issue, and the only series it did better than was Yoakemono, who had its final chapter...
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:23 am Reply with quote
Jajanken wrote:

Are you perhaps thinking of a different series?
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:57 am Reply with quote
Jajanken wrote:

You didn't read the whole article, did you? This manga started back in July. It only lasted about 4 months.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:39 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

Read Bakuman. It explains everything you'll ever need to know about Shonen Jump.

It is on my 'to read' list. I'm tempted buy that box set, but with Christmas coming soon, I won't have the funds to spend $100+ on something just for me. Hopefully I'll be getting that one soon!

Also, thanks to those that answered my question. So they do use surveys to kill off series. I just would've thought they'd first see how a manga volume goes before doing that, but I guess they've been using surveys for awhile...so they should be a good reflection of what people will buy.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:43 am Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
Sporting Salt will probably be next. It had its first rank in this issue, and the only series it did better than was Yoakemono, who had its final chapter...

Yoakemono wasn't included in the ranking because final chapters are never included in the ranking. Sporting Salt got the last place.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Also, thanks to those that answered my question. So they do use surveys to kill off series. I just would've thought they'd first see how a manga volume goes before doing that, but I guess they've been using surveys for awhile...so they should be a good reflection of what people will buy.

You've got the gist, but to expand a bit further...
A series doesn't necessarily have to sell well to survive. Gag series that poll well but sell relatively poorly typically hang around, for example.
The rule of thumb question is basically, 'is this series making money for Shueisha?' High volume sales are self explanatory. High merchandise revenue also works (Gintama). High survey results? It means the series is pulling in/keeping readers for the magazine. The magazine itself makes some cash through subscriptions/sales, naturally. And it's also an advertisement vehicle. Not only for the volumes themselves, but ads in general. WSJ's circulation is somewhere between 2.5 and 3 million; the ad space has some value.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2