• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sexual Assault Charges Dropped Against Voice Actor Illich Guardiola

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
And that's the problem with a majority of this really - so much, if not all of it, is hear say. Someone once had a friend who's brother's next door neighbor went to a con and random voice actor A didn't answer a question in a way they found satisfactory, so they go online and start spreading vicious rumors about them, without there being a whole lot of proof one way or the other.

Well for one, the interview where he basically attacked the original Silent Hill voice actors kind of made him look pretentious, if not arrogant.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Marital rape. It is a thing. Marriage =/= consent.

LIES! This sad episode was never about "sexual intercourse forced by a spouse on the other spouse, against that person's will". Get your facts straight.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
MisterLuck wrote:
Seeing as there is no proof. I'll continue to believe you're a stalker. Creepy stalker...

And I'll continue to believe you're a troll. Creepy troll...
EvilTaxi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Can confirm on Vic. Great to attendees, but I've had less than great experiences.

Was staff at con and dealt indirectly with him. The one who did deal directly with him reported to me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
@ Mister Luck - oh wow, you got me. I didn't recognize Mary Kay Latourneau's far less wellknown name. Yeah, she clearly has mental issues. Again, I don't care how your child spouse feels about you, if there is a large age difference between the two of you, you are creepy.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I mean, its not just Mary Kay Letourneau. There's also Pamela Smart (Suzanne Maretto in the Nicole Kidman film To Die For), who seduced her student to murder her husband. She now sits in jail and he walks free.
MisterLuck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Mister Luck - oh wow, you got me. I didn't recognize Mary Kay Latourneau's far less wellknown name. Yeah, she clearly has mental issues. Again, I don't care how your child spouse feels about you, if there is a large age difference between the two of you, you are creepy.
??? You're very incoherent. But I feel the sensation of an insult in which case. I have better things to do other than to talk to a foolish child. Also it's spelled Mary Katherine Schmitz and she was well known.

Last edited by MisterLuck on Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote
This isn't the way that English dub voice talent should be mentioned in the news. Shame on you, Illich.
animefanworried

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Deleted the post.

I accidentally quoted my own post and re-posted it, so I'm erasing this one as best I can.

I can't seem to find the delete button, so if a mod wants to delete this post, go right ahead.

Last edited by animefanworried on Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
RommieSG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I have Illich's autograph on my Cromartie High School artbox, which I won in a contest on the old AnimeOnDVD forum.

Now I kinda want to trade it in for someone else's autograph, but I know I can never get another Cromartie High School set.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
CatSword wrote:
I can ninety-eight percent guarantee it's all BS.

Vic is great when he's in front of people at a panel or an autograph session.

He's not so great when he's in a restaurant. I've seen him act completely inappropriately at a Cheesecake Factory restaurant right across the street from the Seattle Convention Center during SakuraCon in 2013. The man had a complete breakdown, yelling and screaming into his phone.

So, yes, I can believe the stories about Vic. He's not the saint many think he is.

I think you're bullsh*tting, but if in the unlikeliness that you're not, do you even know what he was yelling about? He yelled into his phone and that automatically makes him unstable?

How do you know the person on the other end wasn't being a pr*ck to him? How do you know something went wrong with his bank statement? What if the neighbour's kids broke his windows?

Even if he was in a public place, how do you know something didn't happen on the other end of that phone call that was upsetting enough to cause him to yell? The fact that you failed to give us further insight on the incident that supposedly happened at the cheesecake factory means you don't know and all you're saying is 'he yelled = nervous breakdown", no context.

I'd rather not jump on the bad wagon like all the Christian Bale rant pansies who bitched about him yelling at some guy on the set of Terminator Salvation as if the guy he yelled at was completely innocent despite being no video showing what happened let alone the audio not having been recorded from the very beginning of the meltdown. Claims like yours, with no backing is just what I'd expect from TMZ.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:00 pm Reply with quote
His rep is tarnished.
animefanworried

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
What the hell could they have in common mentally or emotionally?

Using that logic, we might as well say someone stupid marrying someone intelligent is creepy (Mentally different). Or that it'd be creepy for someone who has suffered emotional scaring to marry someone who is balanced (Emotional differences). Or that people who are in different social class or work in different environments (Leading to social and mental differences) shouldn't get married.

They're both consent, and they knew what they were doing; lets leave it at that. Yeah, she might be making a huge mistake, but adults make mistakes in relationships all the time and no one dramatizes about that.

Edit: I erased the previous post because I accidentally re-posted it while editing.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:20 pm Reply with quote
:/ I just believe that if you're an adult (especially at his age) you shouldn't think of a child in a sexual manor. She was even his student. That and her age should have been more than enough reason to keep those thoughts away.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:

The phone call lasted for 10 minutes. 10 minutes of cussing, screaming and protesting. In a crowded family restaurant in the middle of the day during Easter weekend. Young children were in the waiting room, listening to this man say inappropriate things. This wasn't just "Change my schedule, bye!". It was 10 minutes of him screaming and saying the same thing. Mature, rational adults do not have a 10 minute screamfest in public places.

Hmm..you know, if several other people all report that Vic is a jerk, I'd be more inclined to believe that. Unlike TMZ, who actually makes a profit from reporting sensational stories, what do people such as myself have to gain? I'm not affiliated with the anime industry and I could care less about the dubs, nor could I care if you like him and want to support his career. It doesn't matter to me. What I stated was that I saw him be an arse in public, and that leads me to believe he's not the saint many think that he is.

Must be horrible when a person you admire so much turns out to be a jerk when they're not in front of an audience. That's sort of the downside of attending conventions; Some of your favorite guests turn out to be jerks in real life. I can name a couple of convention guests who are not so nice people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10