• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Osaka Police Sweeps 70 Stores for "Harmful" Shōjo Mags

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:39 am Reply with quote
Yes, to an extent, though I should take but some of what I said as it's not limited to homosexuals only. It happens so much over here compared to over there. Granted I've seen it over there, but the number of times just doesn't compare to over here, and with people caressing each other in the nature that it is, give me a break.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:13 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
Huh? Hugging and kissing are extreme in the US?
Not the acts themselves but the extent to which some people take it. For example, it's fairly normal to give someone a hug. You wrap your arms lightly around the person and squeeze a bit, then release after a few seconds.

Some , however, like to grab people and practically smother them with their bodies while squeezing so hard that they have trouble breathing.

Same thing with kissing. Most people don't make out in public, but some people do and it's a little annoying. (Seeing people practically sharing a pair of jeans between them because their hanging all over each other is a tad disconcerting. Not mention slightly disgusting.)

Somehow, I get the impression that anime and manga are about to go through a dark time of censorship and repression. (That will make some people around here giddy with joy, right up until their favorite series takes a hit.) These sorts of crackdowns always start with the "worst" offenders then gradually work their way down until people finally revolt after it's gotten to a completely intolerable level.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:27 pm Reply with quote
The only shojo manga-ka that I think could be seen as "harmful' is Mayu Shinjo (Kaikan Phrase). Almost all her one-shots go like this: horny, attractive boy forces girl to have sex with him, girl starts to fall in love with boy. Quality writing, I tell ya. Confused
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
testorschoice wrote:
Huh? Hugging and kissing are extreme in the US?
Not the acts themselves but the extent to which some people take it. For example, it's fairly normal to give someone a hug. You wrap your arms lightly around the person and squeeze a bit, then release after a few seconds.

Some , however, like to grab people and practically smother them with their bodies while squeezing so hard that they have trouble breathing.

Same thing with kissing. Most people don't make out in public, but some people do and it's a little annoying. (Seeing people practically sharing a pair of jeans between them because their hanging all over each other is a tad disconcerting. Not mention slightly disgusting.)

Somehow, I get the impression that anime and manga are about to go through a dark time of censorship and repression. (That will make some people around here giddy with joy, right up until their favorite series takes a hit.) These sorts of crackdowns always start with the "worst" offenders then gradually work their way down until people finally revolt after it's gotten to a completely intolerable level.

Yeah, becuase homosexuals invented making out. Rolling Eyes

And the Japanese are very prejudiced. It's a male dominated society with huge emphasis on marrying people off, so anything that goes against that is assumed to be a myth.
mokitty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:42 pm Reply with quote
It's amusing to me that this is apparently an issue now in Japan when it hasn't even hit the proverbial fan here yet. About half a year ago, I cancelled my subscription to Shojo Beat because I found it was replacing a lot of my favourite titles and the new manga, as well as the articles in between, seemed to be skewing toward an increasingly younger audience, despite the "Older Teen" rating on the cover. However, I maintained my tankoubon subs for my favourites.

I had always disliked Absolute Boyfriend since it seemed a "thinly veiled sex fantasy", as mufurc said, and thought it was kind of out of place in a "teenage" magazine. But I've been somewhat bewildered and amused lately at picking up my copies of Nana -- Shojo Beat's apparent flagship title -- all shrinkwrapped and plastered with parental advisories, while it's still being run in this magazine that looks even more pink and flourescent and tween/early-teenish every time I enter the store.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:51 pm Reply with quote
DELETED.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm sensing a great change in the anime/manga industry. Hopefully this change won't ruin it for all of us.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I find it strange how shôjo is critised for the sex, yet when you look at senien manga has extreme violence and sex. There's a manga I found on this site called "Bondage Faeries", I wonder who's the target audience? Absolute Boyfriend isn't nothing compared to some manga out there. Yû Watase's work is pretty safe compared to Basilisk and Beserk. There may be some Shôjo magazines out there that are 18+, but why only go after those when seinen is just as bad, if not worse.

As for hugging and kissing, I don't mind because it's not like their "making babies" for the world to see.
mokitty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:11 pm Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
I find it strange how shôjo is critised for the sex, yet when you look at senien manga has extreme violence and sex. There's a manga I found on this site called "Bondage Faeries", I wonder who's the target audience? Absolute Boyfriend isn't nothing compared to some manga out there. Yû Watase's work is pretty safe compared to Basilisk and Beserk. There may be some Shôjo magazines out there that are 18+, but why only go after those when seinen is just as bad, if not worse.

Because those others aren't being serialized domestically in a magazine that's billed as being for 16 year olds while presenting itself in a manner that suggests it's for people even younger. Smile

edit: I should amend that to say, "That's why I find it a little strange here in North America." I have no idea what's going through the heads of the Japanese dudes except that maybe, from what I understand, shoujo tends to skew to the younger crowd there too while as I understand it, seinen, and things like Basilisk and Beserk are targeted to a upper-highschool/college male crowd.

Last edited by mokitty on Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
I guess there's no such thing in shounen mags, though the article also mentions that there's already a rule not to sell particularly racy shounen comics to boys under 18.

There is such a thing as shōnen magazines—indeed, there is a magazine literally called Shōnen Magazine. Smile

The law cited by the article doesn't make a distinction between boys and girls. The term "seishōnen" is used in legal terms generically for youths of both genders, despite being based on the word "shōnen."

Quote:
Also, the article doesn't refer to "shoujo manga" but rather "manga targeted at girls," which also includes boy's love publications (BL is technically not "shoujo manga").

"Manga targeted at girls" is the literal definition of shōjo manga.
jay saenz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, well... i agree with the japanese police... i ve read some BL or Yaoi mangas and they are as perverted or even more perverted than any regular Hentai aimed to men... i mean that thing of having older men raping male children or teenagers (even in fiction) for the pleassure of a group of lonely or emotionaly disturbed women is as wrong as any lolicon hentai... i think that some titles just crossed the line.

I wont debate the right of people to read hardcore yaoi, it would be hypocrite of myself to do that if i enjoy other forms of hentai... but i think that this kind of material should be kept out of the reach of children or minors... some people will go further and think that this kind of material should be banned for good, specially when they deal with something as delicate as sex with children, a terrible crime all over the world, even in Japan.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
More towards the term of yaoi, but there's hetero in there also.

Citation needed. I didn't find any source stating this wave of sweeping by Osakan police has targeted on yaoi titles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
linlinchan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
It seems to me that this sweep would be more largely focused on the recent wave of shoujo manga running in magazines sold to elementary and middle school girls which have surprisingly explicit (hetero) sexual content, more than yaoi. The article noted titles easily obtained by children, and while yaoi is certainly more available there than here, it's somewhat of a specialty item when compared to the phonebook weeklies and monthlies, and what comes out of them.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
linlinchan wrote:
It seems to me that this sweep would be more largely focused on the recent wave of shoujo manga running in magazines sold to elementary and middle school girls which have surprisingly explicit (hetero) sexual content, more than yaoi. The article noted titles easily obtained by children, and while yaoi is certainly more available there than here, it's somewhat of a specialty item when compared to the phonebook weeklies and monthlies, and what comes out of them.

Agreed. This is more likely a reply from the local government to PTA's poll last month.

EDIT: Stupid BBCode that can't take an URL with apostrophes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:32 pm Reply with quote
CloverKuroba wrote:
The only shojo manga-ka that I think could be seen as "harmful' is Mayu Shinjo (Kaikan Phrase). Almost all her one-shots go like this: horny, attractive boy forces girl to have sex with him, girl starts to fall in love with boy. Quality writing, I tell ya. Confused

I've read a few of her stories (or parts of them, at least) and when I read this article, her name was the first thing to pop into my head.

mistress_reebi wrote:

Because seinen titles are, as far as I know, clearly aimed at adults. The magazines the sweep seems to be targeting are ones aimed at younger audiences.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4