• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - A-Mazinger Stories

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:29 am Reply with quote
snake-eyes wrote:
Mike Toole, That was an Awesome article. I watched Tranzor Z when I was younger. I Love that Discotek is bringing the Entire Series to the US. While Great Mazinger hasn't been anounced, Shin Mazinger is another Must Buy. Grendizer, Gaiking, Getter Robo G, Danguard Ace are my Favorite Super Robot Series. Now I am a fan of Mazinger. I am glad to see articles like this, as I never tire of Super Robot Anime.

I could say the same. Smile

Thanks for the article, Mike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:23 am Reply with quote
Tranzor Z was 1 of the 1st anime I ever saw and that was over 20 years ago.
Bamble

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:35 am Reply with quote
Another great article on classic and classic-themed anime!

Mike Toole wrote:
Dynamic got to work mapping out Dai-Mazinger, an OVA redux of the original featuring emerging star animators like Toshihiro Hirano and Masami Obari. But Toei stepped in and put the show on ice, pointing out that they had the rights Mazinger Z in animation form. Dai-Mazinger went back on the shelf

As a point of trivia, although Dai-Mazinger was ultimately a no go (and more's the shame as a bubble-era Mazinger OVA would potentially have been rather good), the 1987 Demon of Steel (Hagane no Oni) OVA rose from the ashes of this aborted project. Oddly unlicensed by any Western company given that it was a single action-packed production typical of the era, Demon of Steel as finished doesn't particularly betray any obvious influence from Mazinger, although I personally enjoyed it for what it was anyway.

Going back to an OVA that was actually produced, I thought the original Mazinkaiser series was superb. It was released at kind of a funny time, being both a relatively early anamorphic widescreen OVA series, as well as being one of the last major OVA series to be cel-animated, and on a clearly healthy budget no less. Naturally, the animation looks magnificent to this day.

The digi-paint General of Darkness special doesn't look quite as good by comparison, and is a bit too grimdark for my taste with all the character deaths. It still would have been nice to have it licensed like the series, but I guess it was released just a little too late to make the radar of any R1 anime companies just before the big contraction.

The Tranzor Z dub was a bit odd in some respects. Yes, there's a decent dose of bowdlerizing, but not quite as much as might be expected for the era. In later episodes, most of the footage edited out wasn't violence-related, but was concerned with Boss and his antics. Among others, they did skip out the episode mentioned where Mazinger flies with the aid of Aphrodite A's (especially oversized for the occasion) breast missiles!

It would have been nice if Discotek could have included the dubs for the thirteen episodes dubbed in Hawaii, as they were unedited (and actually included among them the infamous breast missile flying episode mentioned above), but since several of the dubbed episodes were not consecutive, it's understandable why they skipped them.
SantaBla

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:37 am Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:

As a point of trivia, although Dai-Mazinger was ultimately a no go (and more's the shame as a bubble-era Mazinger OVA would potentially have been rather good), the 1987 Demon of Steel (Hagane no Oni) OVA rose from the ashes of this aborted project. Oddly unlicensed by any Western company given that it was a single action-packed production typical of the era, Demon of Steel as finished doesn't particularly betray any obvious influence from Mazinger, although I personally enjoyed it for what it was anyway.

I always thought that Dai-Mazinger was turned into Dangaioh.

However, the name Demon of Steel is essentially what Mazinger is all about. I'll have to check it out.
Darkshader

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I watched mazinger when I was 3 or 4 yrs old while growing up in asia. Still my favorite all time super robot is voltes v, followed by daimos, then 3rd place goes to mazinger z.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2