• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Momo Kyun Sword

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minamikaze

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Tellergrim wrote:
I'm not apologizing for my views, and not liking certain trends that have become commonplace is not a sign I have a "strong distaste for this genre." Just because a trend is pervasive doesn't mean I have to like it;

Sorry, one point of clarification. The sign I saw as evidence of a strong distaste for this genre, was not that you were shocked by what are commonplace scenes: that was what I saw as a sign that you were not familiar with recent shows of this genre.

This is what I said about why I thought you had a strong distaste for the genre:

minamikaze wrote:

However, your list [of 3 shows from 2002 and earlier], and your previous [strongly negative] comments about "Ikki Tousen" and "MMH", would seem to suggest that there has not been a single fan-service anime made in the last 12 years that you have liked.

Whether that means you've seen many and disliked them all, or just generally avoided the genre, in either case, it would appear that your assignment to review a fan service genre show, was not an ideal match.

Either circumstance would seem to indicate a strong distaste for this genre.

To clear up my apparent misapprehension, would you be willing to say how many fan service or just plain ecchi shows you have watched in the last 3 or 4 years and whether or not you disliked them all? A list, even a partial one for the last year or two, if at all possible, would be ideal.

Last edited by minamikaze on Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:20 pm Reply with quote
minamikaze wrote:

To clear up my apparent misapprehension, could you say how many fan service or just plain ecchi shows have you watched in the last 3 or 4 years and whether or not you disliked them all? A list, if at all possible, would be ideal.

He doesn't owe you a list of his fanservice bona-fides so you can judge whether or not he's fit to review this show. It seems like you're setting up some kind of litmus test here so you can pass judgement and maybe be even more condescending than you have been, and it comes across as more than a little crappy.

You don't like his reviews, we get it. Miles was assigned this show because nobody else wanted to review it. He came in, explained his stance, said what he meant. That should be enough for you. If it isn't, you don't get to put him through a series of tests to see if he meets your standards.

Yeesh.
minamikaze

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

He doesn't owe you a list of his fanservice bona-fides so you can judge whether or not he's fit to review this show. It seems like you're setting up some kind of litmus test here so you can pass judgement and maybe be even more condescending than you have been, and it comes across as more than a little crappy.

You don't like his reviews, we get it. Miles was assigned this show because nobody else wanted to review it. He came in, explained his stance, said what he meant. That should be enough for you. If it isn't, you don't get to put him through a series of tests to see if he meets your standards.

Yeesh.

Sorry, you are right, asking for a list was obnoxious, although I would not have gone through it as you suggested, I was inadvisedly, just trying to confirm what I had just clarified. The clarification itself was already more than needed to be said.

Thank you for explaining the reason why he was assigned to review the show. I'll stop here.
Seraphic Moogle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:56 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:
and watching shows in other genres that you actually enjoy.

It is a safe bet that he will just get another mediocre show, even if said show is in his "preference" range.

If our "new" reviewer hasn't seen it yet, a decent ecchi style comedy he should catch is No Game No Life just to clear the idea of "what does a GOOD (modern) ecchi comedy look like" (yes, NGNL does cover a number of territories, but it certainly has its foot in ecchi comedy for a number of its gags).

I find that fan service terribly exploitative and downright degrading regarding Steph's character. I don't think that's an overly good example when the show makes it a habit to mock the most normal female character on the show. To be clear I have seen enough ecchi and fan servicey shows to judge this also.

Regarding the review, I found it a bit rough on the show and depicting some bias, but hopefully that can be less visible next time. the mark probably isn't wrong though as the show is quite boring compared to Rail Wars and other fan service shows this season.
Rensie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:04 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Miles was assigned this show because nobody else wanted to review it. He came in, explained his stance, said what he meant. That should be enough for you. If it isn't, you don't get to put him through a series of tests to see if he meets your standards.Yeesh.

I see, maybe you whould hire someone more competent or into these shows to make these reviews? Is this so hard? Force someone to review a show that he dislike to begin it is pretty pointless and stupid.

Animenano.com, there are tons of good reviewers here of any show, at least you have a honest opinion from someone not biased and without prejudice.
Yen50414

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Good thing I watched it before I saw this on ANN. It's not that big a deal but these reviews needs to stop posting screenshots that spoils the episode. They're not big enough spoilers to make a big deal out of but sometimes they take the excitement out of the unknown. If these are going to continue they should just stick with putting the show's title screen as the thumbnail.
Tellergrim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
The image has been changed to a less spoiler-y one. I apologize for the mistake.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
"...and is mostly concerned with tying up the plot's loose ends."

The plot is so big and bouncy, it is hard to tie it up.

An average fanservice anime. spoiler[Glad that everyone lives except the fat oni and Onihime's dad. The ending is happy but underwhelming.I wanted to see Momo and Onihime acting like sweet sisters to each other.] Nonetheless, I did enjoy the show. Love the lewdness and bounciness.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, the past five pages of odd discussion. I found the review viable and found the opinion on the fan service swift and effective. Everything needs balance which Momo Kyun Sword lacked in many areas.
Julliant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I was considering watching this show for lulz, spoiler[but then I saw some screencaps of the hot girl with glasses getting killed.]

I'm not into ecchi (though I've watched a few, giving them barely passing ratings usually), so that's enough reason to pass over this Laughing
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Julliant wrote:
I was considering watching this show for lulz, spoiler[but then I saw some screencaps of the hot girl with glasses getting killed.]

it's ok, spoiler[she didn't die]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5