• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell Arise English Dub Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:13 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Reading the complaints that Arise doesn't have the Stand Alone Complex dub cast makes me want to dip my head into a bucket of sulfuric acid. Arise isn't Stand Alone Complex. It's a different incarnation of GitS. And therefore there is no actual reason to have the same English dub cast when even the Japanese cast is different. It would have been nice, sure, but if you're refusing to buy this solely on that reason, you're being unreasonable. Give it a chance.

The English dub sounds like it'll at least be decent and this OVA is good besides that. I'll probably be picking it up and watch in both languages.

Wow.... Shocked Never thought I'd say this in a million years, but well said. Well said, indeed. I don't see a problem with the cast. I didn't even know the Japanese version had a different cast, but knowing this now, why can't Funimation do the same? Why can't they try something different and give other actors a chance? Or maybe some of the original cast were given a chance to reprise these characters, and for whatever reason, didn't want to. Who knows?
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:36 am Reply with quote
Greg Aubry wrote:
Maxwell's Motoko reminds me a bit of Karen Thompson's dub performance for Re-L Mayer at the beginning of Ergo Proxy. Not bad; it's appropriate to the character. Like many here, I was hoping for at least Epcar returning to voice Batou, but I'll get over it.

I actually like the new character designs quite a bit. They don't really deviate a lot from how the cast looks in the other anime adaptations; they're just a little fresher and cleaner looking.

The strongest part of Arise for me is the sound design. The mix has a lot of air and empty space in it (the sparse electronic score has a lot to do with that) and works really nicely when the virtual environments come into play.

It's not my favorite GitS (I wanted more SAC after Solid State Society), but it's worth supporting.

Yeah, she sounded pretty good, also as someone else already said it was a pretty nice fan nod to have McGlynn doing a part and one with a decent amount of dialogue, especially since they've never worked with her before I believe.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:00 am Reply with quote
ResistNormal wrote:
Needs more Richard Epcar.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Felis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:46 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I love how the Major sounds, and it was awesome hearing Mary at the end! I think the Major sounds a bit more like Mimi Woods than Mary McGlynn (especially in her delivery), but I can definitely hear a bit of Mary in the voice. I could totally believe that that voice evolves into Mimi's, and THAT voice evolves into Mary's. It works, and Chris Sabat is also really awesome as Batou. He does sound like a slightly younger version of Richard Epcar's voice. Overall, I'm very pleased with what I hear!

I was thinking the same thing after watching the trailer. Elizabeth Maxwell sounds like she will do great as the Major. I'm not quite as sold on Batou's voice though. Chris Sabat sounds fine but I'll need to hear more of him before I decide if I like his performance as Batou. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long until we get to hear Togusa and Aramaki.
rep21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
mmmmmmmm, yeah, I really need to hear more to get an actual opinion on it. There isn't much dialogue in it. I especially want to hear more of the new Motoko.

All I'll say for now is that I really wish they brought Epcar back, at the very least. Nothing against Sabat, but they really went the cliched route there.

Yeah it's odd not hearing Epcar's voice as Batou after so many years. Motoko to me sounds close to how she did in the Movie when voice by Mimi Woods.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Terrible trailer... not sure whose bright idea it was to go with that style of formatting but I hate that glitchy/repeat crap.

Dub doesn't sound too bad, from the bits and pieces they delivered. Sadly, only Ghost 3 had an interesting story to it... the others not so much.

If only Production IG would do another S.A.C. incarnation (although I recognize the prospect that yet another attack on the government of Japan would be utterly unfeasible, really)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
Terrible trailer... not sure whose bright idea it was to go with that style of formatting but I hate that glitchy/repeat crap.

It kind of fits with the content, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
(looks at calendar, Nope it's 2014, not 2004) Wow! Funi region blocking a commercial trailor? Must be you're trying to sell dog food at a cat convention. Fine I'll give my money to someone less insulting.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
Well, I've been watching the Arise series the entire time since its been aired, I've not had problem with it. Its a different take on the old story started in Manga in the 1990s.

As for the incomparison to GitS series(s), their different animals. Seriously, you can't compare the two. Its like trying match them up with the Manga and the first movie. Aries is perhaps close to original series than GitS was.

It is a different series, new take on it. I'm not big fan of Funimation's efforts, with censorship, sometimes questionable voice actor castings.
Its been decade since these voice actors were did the old series, i don't mind if the voices are different as long as it works for the characters their trying to voice.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
@Wrangler

Are you saying Arise is censored?
Ghostless

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
As for the incomparison to GitS series(s), their different animals. Seriously, you can't compare the two. Its like trying match them up with the Manga and the first movie. Aries is perhaps close to original series than GitS was.

Felt like wind passed me by reading this Smile Care to develop ?

Nice to see that Arise doesn't only racks up criticism in the posts.
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
I'm not big fan of Funimation's efforts, with censorship, sometimes questionable voice actor castings.

There is no censorship, as Funimation doesn't release censored anime. They've only ever really censored anime for 4kids, which barely counts, since they didn't own the licence and a couple of other obscure shows. Are you one of those people who insists that the majority of companies today release edited versions of the show/OVA/movie? You're pretty misinformed.

@TarsTarkas Don't mind him. He's just a misinformed person, who thinks anime companies/dubs are TV dubs from the 80s and 90s. He doesn't ever listen, when people tell him that things are barely like that anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3