• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Exclusive Interview: The New English Language Cast of Sailor Moon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

My point wasn't really that American families wouldn't have a problem with it, but rather that they shouldn't, because the Japanese audience had zero problem with it, and they're doing fine.

I mean, in a perfect world, probably not, but Japan =/= America.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
AH HELLO? its not just that only. there was a reason why the dic version had zoicite as a female, uranus and neptune as cousins and the stars series never got released at all.

The Stars series was also held up by a different company, and....I can't be the only one who thought making Zoicite female was one of the few changes the DiC version did RIGHT.
Every group of villains has to have one deadlier-than-the-male female member who's ruthlessly determined to climb her way up the totem pole, usually out of love for one of the higher villains. (Which explains why "she" wears the male general uniforms, and has to take crap from the three other higher villains ahead of her.
Think Mystique in the X-Men series. Harley Quinn in Batman. Emeraude in Sailor Moon R. Smile

Making Zoey a Fish-Eye style bishy-gay just to make him "despicable" just came off as...aw, c'mon, Kunihiko Ikuhara isn't even working on the series yet! Razz

Last edited by EricJ2 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why people act like they only made changes in America.

There hare been edits in other countries as well, for similar reasons.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Also gonna say with folks wondering why guys like the Dic dub, remember "Battle of the Planets"? "G-Force" was closer to the original Gatchaman with less censoring and didn't have the stupid robot. BOTP fans hate "G-Force" with a passion for its changes.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
Also gonna say with folks wondering why guys like the Dic dub, remember "Battle of the Planets"? "G-Force" was closer to the original Gatchaman with less censoring and didn't have the stupid robot. BOTP fans hate "G-Force" with a passion for its changes.

well those were down right bad. Not 4kids bad, but bad nevertheless.

Then there were Harmony Gold's version of Macross which was ok, but not their just as hated as 4kids for their dumbass attempts to keep the franchise. its cause of them that macross frontier haven't been licensed in the US as yet. though at least DIC were merciful with the edits for SM and Saint Seiya. Also they at least did Samurai Pizza Cats right when Saban had the license. But its as i said, i would gladly take the edited version of any DIC english dubs over 4kids and Nevlana's abominations anyday of the week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Seashell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Im liking the voices i hear so far,im ready for a new dub!!

jr0904 wrote:
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:

Then there were Harmony Gold's version of Macross which was ok, but not their just as hated as 4kids for their dumbass attempts to keep the franchise. its cause of them that macross frontier haven't been licensed in the US as yet. though at least DIC were merciful with the edits for SM and Saint Seiya. Also they at least did Samurai Pizza Cats right when Saban had the license. But its as i said, i would gladly take the edited version of any DIC english dubs over 4kids and Nevlana's abominations anyday of the week.

4kids was much worse than DIC.I understand sailor moon's edits,but the edits to their shows like tokyo mew mew were pointless Confused
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:12 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
But its as i said, i would gladly take the edited version of any DIC english dubs over 4kids and Nevlana's abominations anyday of the week.

Nelvana wasn't that bad. Personally I liked this cartoon more than the movie than inspired it. Tintin and the Magic School Bus were great as well. And I know I'm stereotyping my generation, but guys from the US who lived here their entire lives born between 1978 and 1986 who say they never watched the Nelvana Care Bears (possibly the Dic series as well, but Nelvana one definately) is a liar. Interestingly enough, Stephanie Sheh was on the new Care Bears, while Terri Hawkes and Susan Roman (old Sailor Moon and Sailor Jupiter) were on the old series.
lostrune

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
I can't be the only one who thought making Zoicite female was one of the few changes the DiC version did RIGHT.
Every group of villains has to have one deadlier-than-the-male female member who's ruthlessly determined to climb her way up the totem pole, usually out of love for one of the higher villains. (Which explains why "she" wears the male general uniforms, and has to take crap from the three other higher villains ahead of her.
Think Mystique in the X-Men series. Harley Quinn in Batman. Emeraude in Sailor Moon R. Smile

So it sucks because it's not stereotypical enough for you? Laughing Why can't that girl archetype be a guy in love with another guy? Nothing wrong with homosexuality.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:19 am Reply with quote
Seashell wrote:
Im liking the voices i hear so far,im ready for a new dub!!

jr0904 wrote:
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:

4kids was much worse than DIC.I understand sailor moon's edits,but the edits to their shows like tokyo mew mew were pointless Confused

UH ,that is what i said. Gotta read the post before quoting.

Its as i said,the hacked job that dic did with gatchaman was bad, but no one will ever outdo the mess both 4kids and nelvana did with the series they licensed.

Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
But its as i said, i would gladly take the edited version of any DIC english dubs over 4kids and Nevlana's abominations anyday of the week.

Nelvana wasn't that bad. Personally I liked this cartoon more than the movie than inspired it. Tintin and the Magic School Bus were great as well. And I know I'm stereotyping my generation, but guys from the US who lived here their entire lives born between 1978 and 1986 who say they never watched the Nelvana Care Bears (possibly the Dic series as well, but Nelvana one definately) is a liar. Interestingly enough, Stephanie Sheh was on the new Care Bears, while Terri Hawkes and Susan Roman (old Sailor Moon and Sailor Jupiter) were on the old series.

I think you have gotten a couple of rocks in the head, or have no idea what i meant. what i mean is that their just as bad as than 4kids when it comes to anime they licensed. NOT North American cartoons.

Dont believe me? then watched the absolute mess they made when had Card Captor Sakura. They are primarly lucky that 4kids is worst than them, otherwise they would have been the most hated company in the anime industry and in the otaku community. People can forgive DIC for their edits cause it was in the 80's and 90's when they licensed their series and at that time, dubbing was inferior and anime in general wasnt a household name. not to mention all of the ultra violent and sexual OVAs that didn't do the industry any favors. Which is why DIC did those edits so those series can be watched by US auidence. and there are some of their versions that are still watched to this day like Samurai Pizza Cats.

Will anyone watch that versions of SM now that there is a very much better dub being produced. highly unlikely unless your trying to introduce younger kids mainly 5-10 yr old girls who liked Winx Club (which to be frank is a blatant SM clone ) to the anime universe,just like how the Pioneer version of DBZ was for young boys in those days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:19 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
I'm afraid not. parents will have no problem with DBZ,but will with this series cause of one thing. same gender relationships. Also its as i said there are also some moments in the Super S series that will definitely rub them the wrong way.

The same-sex relationships should not be a problem since while they DO happen, they're presented in a more suggestive manor so they won't be too obvious to those not already aware. Parents didn't care when Tokyopop left Haruka and Michiru's relationship intact, nor when Cloverway turned it into an incest relationship. Besides, it's 2014. I think we've moved past the days when a homosexual relationship is seen as scandalous.

jr0904 wrote:
and if they do release the stars series they will seriously have a problem with that. its the main reason why Toei decided not to release that series back then. definitely don't know how Viz convinced them and the creator to actually do it considering how risky it is, but i am glad they did.

Viz is releasing the Stars series, and no, it's content had nothing to do with why it wasn't brought here. We were so late getting the S and SuperS seasons, and Toei was about to pull the plug on the series worldwide to market the live action show, there was simply no time to bring over Stars. Many other countries around the world have gotten Stars, so why not us?

jr0904 wrote:
AH. i think your incorrect there. I though it was studiopolis as well, however its being dubbed by AX. not studiopolis. that was announced when viz announced they had the license.

No. Studiopolis was announced as being the studio at the panel. AX (short for AnimeExpo) is the name of the CONVENTION at which this was announced. I doubt a convention would dub an anime. Smile
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
I'm still not overly thrilled about Stephanie Sheh and Cristina Vee playing their respective roles this isn't exactly the english cast I envisioned for the show. I'm sure the dub will be competent but I'm not expecting a masterful dub here.

Thankfully nothing you say or think has any bearing on the dub. It won't suck just because you said so (and if you think it will based on that logic, you're clearly very conceited). Of course, it's hard to take someone who calls themselves "I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE" (and in all caps too) seriously. Dear god. -_-
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm liking what I heard from that clip. Definitely purchasing.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

I think you have gotten a couple of rocks in the head, or have no idea what i meant. what i mean is that their just as bad as than 4kids when it comes to anime they licensed. NOT North American cartoons.

The way you said it, made it sound like you hated everything by Nelvana, be it anime dub or originally made by them.

Quote:
Its as i said,the hacked job that dic did with gatchaman was bad, but no one will ever outdo the mess both 4kids and nelvana did with the series they licensed.

Actually Dic had nthing to do with any Gatchaman adaptations.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
actually if i recall. DIC did had a part for their dubbing for the Gatchman series which in those days was called battle of the planets , and then for some reason called it G Force,though it was Saban Ent that had the license. Regardless, at least their dubs was a hell of a lot compotent than the 4kids dubs which is why i wouldnt be surprised if it was a choice between the DIC version of SM and the 4kids version of Tokyo Mew Mew , people would take DIC's dub anyday of the week.
noigeL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:

I was wondering if...they might use any suffixes in the dub when it comes to Makoto and Mamoru.

"Mako-chan"
"Mamo-chan"
"Usako"

...hmmmm..
I doubt it as it's not common in spoken English.

It's becoming very common in English dubs, though (much to my chagrin). Usako would be totally fine but I really don't want to hear -chan or any other honorifics in the dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4