• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2014 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ankisian Sarita

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:01 am Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:
Oh please, the whole point of drawing their girls ridiculously cute is to appeal to people.

Fanservice is not new to KyoAni. FMP and Haruhi both had fanservice, K-On!, Tamako and Chu-2 pander in a different sort of way. They were never 'better', they just pandered to a different demographic.

No, they didn't. I'm a huge fan of K-ON so I think I would have remembered any scene where the girls put on micro bikini thongs and started pole dancing. The closest is a beach episode, and the girls swimsuits were nowhere near as form-fitting or detailed in the privates area. Go read Naoko Yamada's interview again and pay attention this time. The staff treated them as their own children, not sex objects. That philosophy obviously changed with Free.

Guys may have liked the characters in KyoAni shows because they are cute, which they totally are, but they were universally loved by both genders for their personalities and the writing. K-ON was and still is huge with women. It did so without treating women like idiots who can only be interested in a show if some hunky guys in wetsuits are dancing on screen. Shows like Haruhi, Clannad, and K-ON hooked women through their caring writing and heartfelt, relatable characters, not through their libidos.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:52 am Reply with quote
And the quest continues for a Carl Kimlinger review I'll ever find agreeable and not predictable. I think I know what kind of fan he's best used as the comparable for and it's definitely not in sync with me.

DerekTheRed wrote:
Carl Kimlinger wrote:
Aldnoah.Zero is the first series, probably since Crest of the Stars, to try its hand at the sci-fi war epic and get it so beautifully, exhilaratingly right.

The first sentence of Carl's preview is all I need. I will be following Aldnoah.Zero now.

My first impression was he had to be joking and then Oh wait it's Carl so he would say something like that.

Guile wrote:
The reviews for Sailor Moon seem odd to me. Especially Carl's overall implication that magical girl anime didn't exist before Sailor Moon and hasn't existed after. Saying that if a show that wasn't Sailor Moon tried to deal with girls fighting evil with the help of talking animal mascots it would be dismissed. There have been a lot of magical girl before and after Sailor Moon. Pretty Cure is bigger than Sailor Moon, after all and gets a new installment every year for the past ten years. I don't think those comments are very true at all.

See above but yeah I was wondering what was up with that. I really am not trying to step on toes here as much as it probably seems like, but I really think Carl in particular could maybe stand to do a little more research or just stick to the reviews of the shows themselves cause a lot of the other stuff he says really just makes me wander what in gods name he is talking about or where some of the stuff he claims is even coming from the comment about disagreeable reviews. Definitely different though and you can pretty much count on him to be the outlier reviewer a lot of the time if you're looking for a second opinion I guess.

Last edited by Kaioshin_Sama on Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:58 am Reply with quote
Sailor Moon Crystal was so good. Gotta get that OST. Super epic. The watercolor backgrounds, new age paint on the characters and CG were all brilliant. Slow and steady, each episode will be a slice of the most delicious dessert you can dream of. We really have to enjoy this while it lasts.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:23 am Reply with quote
Space Dandy S2 Great! Now all I need is S1 to finally get released in the UK. Simples! Rolling Eyes
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:46 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Things that I found genuinely original in Aldnoah: New Orleans, why New orleans I have no idea

Probably because in their history, cities we consider to be Big Meccas like New York and London got trashed in '99.
Kaisos Erranon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:59 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Not a huge fan of the new opening song...but that's mostly because I'm getting really annoyed at all the feminist things lately and at least the lyrics don't take it TOO far, but meet the perfect middle ground of basically "We can defend ourselves, we don't need a male to save us" (and yet she will get saved by Tuxedo Mask so often in the future lol) when so much of the feminist argument in recent days is "women are BETTER than men"...just like the racist arguments where they wanted "Equality" but then a lot of the vocal people actually wanted to be placed higher, not equal.

Why is nobody commenting on how awful and ignorant this is? Because it is awful and ignorant, and also terrible. Please don't compare Sailor Moon to Malcolm X ever again.
iatheia wrote:
KyoAni pretty much created cute girls doing cute things genre in with Lucky Star, and everyone else followed their lead. And then they cemented it with K-On. These shows are pretty much the definition of modern version of moe waifu and what it means to pander to otaku.

I'll take Azumanga Daioh for six hundred, Alex
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:22 am Reply with quote
Kaisos Erranon wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Not a huge fan of the new opening song...but that's mostly because I'm getting really annoyed at all the feminist things lately and at least the lyrics don't take it TOO far, but meet the perfect middle ground of basically "We can defend ourselves, we don't need a male to save us" (and yet she will get saved by Tuxedo Mask so often in the future lol) when so much of the feminist argument in recent days is "women are BETTER than men"...just like the racist arguments where they wanted "Equality" but then a lot of the vocal people actually wanted to be placed higher, not equal.

Why is nobody commenting on how awful and ignorant this is?

I did, but then I decided he was just trying to get a rise out of people.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:23 am Reply with quote
OK,
As someone who was born and raised in New Orleans, and who lost her home and friends to the hurricane, I am actually personally really offended by that episode of Aldnoah Zero.
For the sake of entertainment, they turned the destruction of New Orleans into the work of aliens or whatever. They made the people who were evacuating look like big-nosed jerks. The really sad thing is, that most people are ignoring this. Also, this episode aired only a few weeks away from the hurricane's 9th anniversary. It really makes me sad.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:58 am Reply with quote
Aldnoah.Zero's first episode was both underwhelming and heavy-handed. I was disappointed to be honest.

mewpudding101 wrote:
OK,
As someone who was born and raised in New Orleans, and who lost her home and friends to the hurricane, I am actually personally really offended by that episode of Aldnoah Zero.

"Offended"? You're actually offended? You're being hyper-sensitive. It's sad that you lost your friends and your house, but guess what? Every city on the planet has people living in it who have lost loved ones to some sort of disaster. Which city would you've liked the aliens to have destroyed instead? Portland OR? Cleveland? Baltimore?

Should Pacific Rim, Godzilla 2014 and Star Trek Into Darkness not have attacked San Francisco because some people died and others lost their homes in the '89 quake? And what about New York? Despite the traumatic damage the city endured on 9/11, no-one bats an eyelid when it gets attacked in movies such as Spiderman and The Avengers.

New Orleans suffered a tragedy, yes, but that doesn't mean fictional stories which show it getting destroyed are somehow "offensive".
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:01 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I felt like that was the point, to show how degrading and insincere the whole idol business is. In any other series like this, they'd be saying those lines with enthusiasm and total belief in them, and if they couldn't quite pull it off splendidly, they'd feel sad for not making their (potential) fans happy. It kinda feels like UtaPri: The True Story.

Yes, i found that touch of realism quite refreshing. To be honest, UtaPri was a lot more painful to watch for me with its overwhelming cheesiness (and bland female lead). Even though i'm doubting that realism is really the point of Shounen Hollywood and expect them to wholeheartedly embrace their 'idol-ness' later, i'm hooked enough to keep watching for now.

Aldnoah.Zero was interesting enough, but i wasn't quite as impressed as some others here. Barakamon was one of the shows i've been looking forward to the most and it didn't disappoint. Very Happy
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:01 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Aldnoah.Zero's first episode was both underwhelming and heavy-handed. I was disappointed to be honest.

mewpudding101 wrote:
OK,

"Offended"? You're actually offended? You're being hyper-sensitive. It's sad that you lost your friends and your house, but guess what? Every city on the planet has people living in it who have lost loved ones to some sort of disaster. Which city would you've liked the aliens to have destroyed instead? Portland OR? Cleveland? Baltimore?

I just said I'm personally offended. I just think that it was extremely offensive for people involved, especially since the anniversary is so close. But destroying somewhere fictitious or somewhere that doesn't have such a blatant disaster associated with it.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:21 am Reply with quote
Once the exposition in first episode of Aldnoah.Zero was gone , the show got instantaneously great. I even appreciate how dull the exposition was , because that transition hits you out of nowhere and it elevates the thrill.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:02 am Reply with quote
king 47 wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
@king 47- Good to know!

I may just be reading too much into things...

You probably are reading to much into it, you might not be wrong though. I learned to keep my expectations low, that way I'm less likely to be disappointed. Because this might be a very good show with absolutely no time travel, but the lack is time travel might disappoint you.

No worries there. I may be reading too much into it, in terms of time travel, but I still want to see the whole journey unfold. All just my initial impression, but I don't think that I'll feel let down if I'm wrong.

I do like to speculate, and I don't expect this series to head into Steins;Gate-like territory (that is my favourite anime series though, so it's not like I'd mind). Laughing

king 47 wrote:
Out of curiosity, have you seen the girl who leapt through time? If so, what'd you think?

Ah, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, a movie where PIS (plot induced stupidity) got me in the lead up to spoiler[Kosuke's death and Chiaki's reversal of said death.]

Three main things, first, spoiler[why not call him after he just texted]? Second, spoiler[she had kind of formed the idea about the number on her arm was a counter for the number of leaps, but still used it on something stupid (Chiaki's phone call).] Third, spoiler[if she wasn't that sure about the number, she knew that her aunty had been time travelling when she was younger…yet never asked]?

No real particular order there, just 3 things that could've prevented it from happening. The PIS leading to what is the catalyst for spoiler[Chiaki having to leave/use his last leap] was disappointing.

I found that it spoiler[(need to leave)] contradicts the aunty, who seems to see time travelling as something spoiler[completely normal]. Just her reaction is what made me think that.

A lot of stories that deal with time travel bring about the consequences. When the consequence is brought about by a bout of PIS, it does annoy me.

I really enjoyed the first hour, but it was teetering on totally falling apart in the following 15-20 minutes. And, I guess it's obvious that those 15-20 minutes really stuck with me…the ending was alright, but the way they got there was something I didn't enjoy.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:44 am Reply with quote
In reply to all the reports made in this thread, I unfortunately can't do much about most of them, since said reported posts were already replied to or quoted. So you'll just have to bear with the chaos and/or vitriol and hope I catch things a little sooner, next time. Sorry. I'm just one guy trying to monitor thousands of posts within hundreds of threads.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:02 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

(The Girl Who Lept Through Time)I really enjoyed the first hour, but it was teetering on totally falling apart in the following 15-20 minutes. And, I guess it's obvious that those 15-20 minutes really stuck with me…the ending was alright, but the way they got there was something I didn't enjoy.
I feel your pain with all that, however I can even extend that to the ending as well, spoiler[ as no where does it show that her count down tattoo got reset to the beginning as well, so just how could she, "come running" and into what Century again? ] Rolling Eyes What it needs is a sequel spoiler[so we can find out just how bleak Chiaki's Century is. and if it is that bleak, why would he want to go back if he didn't really need to? ] Loose ends. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 51