• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2014 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Summer's looking good to me so far, in that everything isn't totally meh and there's stuff I'll definitely watch, even if nothing is leaping out as "can't wait for the next ep" yet.

SAO II: So they're bringing swords to a gunfight? I enjoyed that mostly. I guess Asuna is going to be sidelined to be real world support for Kirito. If the second half of SAO hadn't happened, I'd be irritated, but since it did, I'm ok with as little of her in this as possible.

Sailor Moon Crystal: I've never watched more than brief clips of Sailor Moon, and I don't think I'll be watching any more of this. Her voice was already driving me up a wall two minutes in. Tuxedo Mask seems younger here than I'd perceived from what little I've seen of him before. Not for me, but I'm happy for fans whose dreams have been realized. Smile

Shounen Hollywood: Huh, I was expecting an UtaPri clone, but this is definitely not that. The art style is very different from what these kinds of shows usually use (reminds me of CodeBreaker), and they seem to be looking at the idol-making process seriously from a factory product pov instead of Follow Your Dream!™, which is also different. Looks like the seiyuu-tailored songs are going to be indistinguishable from a hundred others of that genre, but I guess that's appropriate. This could be very good if they're willing to take some risks. But sadly I doubt they'll step very hard on any industry toes.

Free! ES: Everything's in place and they're not playing coy with the service this season, though I kind of preferred that restraint. Wink The recruitment presentation was pretty funny. The new guy looks good. The ED is even more wtf than the first season. I am content. Smile

Rail Wars!: I love trains. I hate tsunderes. This is difficult. And really, spoiler[no one could call ahead to the next station]? And only one team figured out spoiler[you need air to burn coal]? Trains may not be enough to keep me watching.

Glasslip: Pretty to look at, but nothing of interest for me except glassblowing, which there was almost none of. I thought his warning about the chickens was supposed to be some precog thing, but no, just common sense.

Tokyo Ghoul: Seras Syndrome. Let's see if they can get beyond that.

Samurai Jam/Bakumatsu Rock or whatever: How did they manage to make even the fan service dull? (maybe I was just overloaded after the beauty of Free! ?) This should have been a walk-over with the Bakumatsu, Shinsengumi, crazy anachronisms, and bishies everywhere, and yet it comes across more like a checklist of tropes with "Marketing" stamped all over everything. I won't even go into how I feel about what they did to Ryoma, except to say the character they made should be shot by all the better representations of the man in other series. To top it off, the music is terrible, even for this genre. I expected stupid fun here and got a snooze fest. Oh well. Smile
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Moon was nearly flawless. That damn CGI had to go and ruin it. People talking about how annoying Usugi is; she's SUPPOSED to be an annoying cry baby at first. She admits to it.

Not a huge fan of the new opening song...but that's mostly because I'm getting really annoyed at all the feminist things lately and at least the lyrics don't take it TOO far, but meet the perfect middle ground of basically "We can defend ourselves, we dont need a male to save us" (and yet she will get saved by Tuxedo Mask so often in the future lol) when so much of the feminist argument in recent days is "women are BETTER than men"...just like the racist arguments where they wanted "Equality" but then a lot of the vocal people actually wanted to be placed higher, not equal.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
You know knowing that Urobutcher came up with the idea, reading the synopsis online, and looking at the ominous trailer quotes "you wanted peace more then anybody else", I kind of figured the princess would get Ferdinand'd.

Still would be more interesting if she survives then if she's dead.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone watch the JoJo dub on CR? It's really good! Most of the voices are spot on. I usually don't watch dubs (since I see the subs first) but this is excellent. Does anyone know who did it?
unitmikey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Holy sh*** I forgot how fast the preview guide forum moves.

Anyway, Sailor Moon was exactly what it was. No one was really disappointed but not too many people were jumping out of their seats either (I didn't). But it was fun.

I am a little scared because I did not mind the cg (which is like apocalypse status, because I normally, absolutely hate cg crossed with "regular" animation).

I might just be going crazy.

Probably.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I've essentially watch the first episode of Sailor Moon 4 times now (The original anime, the manga, the live-action show and now Crystal) and essentially it's the same, so I while I still liiked it, I guess I already knew what to expect?

The meat of the show will pick up later, so whatever.

Anyway, my main complaint is that the animation as people have mentioned is kind of stilted. Like none of their faces seemed that expressive, Usagi's mouth seemed to hang open as if she was waiting for the airplane to land. To me the original anime seemed more frenetic, and the faces were definitely more expressive. Hell, look at my icon for proof. I'm hoping that fixes itself as the series goes on.

Anyway, it was pretty awesome to see the show in HD.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Whoa.. the panel didn't completely hate on the idol show?

This is the bizarro world.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
Did anyone watch the JoJo dub on CR? It's really good! Most of the voices are spot on. I usually don't watch dubs (since I see the subs first) but this is excellent. Does anyone know who did it?

I agree, the dub for episode 1 was pretty damn good. Don't know who the VAs are. As I said in the discussion thread, though, it is going to be weird not hearing Joseph Joestar's seiyuu yelling, "OH NOOOOO!!!"
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I thought the dub was great too. I recognized Kirk Thornton as one of the cops and I think Patrick Seitz as Dio. Joseph was of course Richard Epcar (so you might get a pretty good Oh Noooo! from him Smile ), and Matthew Mercer (Levi) is perfect as Jotaro.

Barakamon: Well I've found my can't wait for the next episode series for the summer. That was wonderful from start to finish! What's especially amazing is that the kid is neither too cutesy nor too obnoxious, but rather the perfect blend of wide-eyes and exasperating energy to make her just adorable. I'm in love already.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I thought the dub was great too. I recognized Kirk Thornton as one of the cops and I think Patrick Seitz as Dio. Joseph was of course Richard Epcar (so you might get a pretty good Oh Noooo! from him Smile ), and Matthew Mercer (Levi) is perfect as Jotaro.

Barakamon: Well I've found my can't wait for the next episode series for the summer. That was wonderful from start to finish! What's especially amazing is that the kid is neither too cutesy nor too obnoxious, but rather the perfect blend of wide-eyes and exasperating energy to make her just adorable. I'm in love already.

I love Avdol too. They don't list him on the ANN series page so I have no idea who his VA is.

I just finished watching Barakamon and I agree that it's excellent. The characters are all so unique. The kid reminds me of the girl in Totoro, with some Yotsuba thrown in. That makes her fun and lively! I can't wait for the rest of it.

Rail Wars.... well, the less said of that one the better. Very mediocre in every way.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Aldnoah.Zero surprised me tbh. I hope the show can keep it up. As far the other shows that debuted today, I liked Barakamon quite a bit. The manga is great too and the slice of life style is most welcoming.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Rivailoli wrote:
Oh please, the whole point of drawing their girls ridiculously cute is to appeal to people.

Fanservice is not new to KyoAni. FMP and Haruhi both had fanservice, K-On!, Tamako and Chu-2 pander in a different sort of way. They were never 'better', they just pandered to a different demographic.

Those aren't really anywhere close to being the same. You can't really equate simply having a cute design, which is pretty much universal in most media because nobody wants to watch ugly people, with thrusting your hyper detailed crotch into the camera and posing with your shorts half pulled down. I agree that Free! is very different from KyoAni's usual style. I can see why it's so jarring to some people. There's no way you can put stuff like K-On, Tamako, and Chuuni in the same boat. Free is definitely KyoAni's most pandering show by a mile.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
As someone born from New Orleans and recently went back to visit, I must say that the only accurate image they had of it, was when the flames engulfed the streets and blew the cars away.

As someone who was ALSO born and raised in New Orleans, my reaction is... WHAT!? An anime featured NEW ORLEANS!? Must go and find...
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Also, Kyle Hebert was Kakyoin, Julie Ann Taylor was Holly, Dave Mallow was the narrator, and Wendee Lee was the voice of the female doctor.

Avdol is voiced by a brand new actor named Chris Tergliafera. He confirmed it on his twitter account a little while ago:

https://twitter.com/Tergliafera/status/485654961087209473

Last edited by SpacemanHardy on Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Sexist for whom? Men aren't the targeted audience. I doubt any man would care how they are presented in a show for the women demographic.

Women deserve their eye candy shows too.

But...the ANN female reviewers tend to complain a lot about the way girls are portrayed in many shows aimed at a male audience.
Maybe it's a surprise for you, but there is sexism against men too. That's totally fair criticisim.

Men like their eye candy. Doesn't make much sense for us to be complaining about female eye candy.

So it is not fair criticism. Men simply do not care about their portrayal in shows catering to women. Why should we. If we don't like a show, we simply don't watch it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 51