• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Western made animes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atromoby

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:43 pm Reply with quote
What do you guys think about the animes that are made in US/Europe?
Examples: Avatar, WITCH and Team Galaxy.

I watched some of the series and I have to say they aren't bad. Smile
The animations looks somehow better and the art styles are on par with some of the animes made in Japan.
camelot187757

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:46 pm Reply with quote
And ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the domino effect of a brand spanking new conversation about whether Avatar [/b, ][b]WITCH, and that other thing are anime at all.

There will be fights, there will be blood, there will be casualties.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:52 pm Reply with quote
And there will be people like me who say WITCH, AVATAR, and TEAM GALAXY, I'll throw in TOTALLY SPIES and WINX CLUB with it and say NONE of them are anime, there AMERIME or EUROME!!!! My made up words for them, I like them.

Anyway, WITCH was pretty cool for awhile but it got boring after the first 10 episodes so I stopped watching

Avatar is the best american show made, and I can't wait for the new season to come out (anybody know when that is?)

Totally Spies sucked through and through, as does WINX Club and Team Galaxy, so.......I'm not find of most of these.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Moros

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:33 pm Reply with quote
XVII

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Moros, this person chose these shows because these US made shows take the general art style that anime uses and tries to make it into our lovely american homes. Any animated shows made here aren't Amerime or Eurome (my names for them), there just cartoons, just the ones that try to take that style are, examples above. Teen Titans is one too.

And I watched Lain around 8 in the morning everyday with the ability to tape it, I wasn't allowed to stay up that late and had to record it and watch it later. Like I had to do with Witch Hunter Robin and some Detective Conan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
AegisX

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Moros wrote:
Eh, cartoons can be quite watchable, but they really don't comapre with Anime proper.

Tell that to Batman the Animated Series. Better than almost any anime I've ever seen by a long shot.

On topic though, there's no such thing as Western made anime(going by the English definition of the word), just shows with an anime influenced art style. Other than Avatar and a few others, almost all of these shows tend to be crap.
atromoby

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Nah! You guys are just fanboys. Wink

Animes ARE cartoons. They are Japanese cartoons after all.

And isn't anime a part of the styles of drawing cartoons? If not, debate on some of the mangas from Tokyopop that are not the works of Asian manga artists.

And excuse me "mindless cartoons"? Majority of Japanese cartoons have crappy plots either.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote
You know atromoby, you TOTALLY missed everything said here so far, we all know that is anime is cartoons, but not all cartoons are anime (which is what we're talking about).

And anime does have a specific style that we US-ians normally don't use, and when we do (which is what we're talking about) it's normally crap like WINX Club and Totally Spies, very few are good like Avatar and Teen Titans. And manga not drawn by in Japan/The Orient or whatever you want to say are comic books which Tokyopop puts out in manga form for the manga lovers out there. So it's still manga-like for the fans.

And most cartoons ARE mindless pointless dribble and at least practically every anime has a plot, bad or not, which most US toons don't even have, my man. Cool

So I'm not sure if you missinterperated what we were talking about or was just trying to call people out on mistakes, but be sure to pay a little attention next time. Laughing
TheVok

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:01 pm Reply with quote
atromoby wrote:

And isn't anime a part of the styles of drawing cartoons?

No. It just means animation produced in--and almost always for--Japan.

The drawing style doesn't matter. It can be anything from Hello Kitty to Ergo Proxy.
TheVok

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:03 pm Reply with quote
AegisX wrote:
Moros wrote:
Eh, cartoons can be quite watchable, but they really don't comapre with Anime proper.

Tell that to Batman the Animated Series. Better than almost any anime I've ever seen by a long shot.

But most anime productions with even a half-decent budget have much better quality animation.

'Batman' was wonderfully stylized, but when it tried to convey realistic human movements (e.g. people milling about a party or dancing), it failed utterly.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quote
I dont really its fair to say non-american cartoons are worse than Anime. Its an unfair comparison to be comparing cartoons which are intended for children with more mature Anime. Anime intended for older audiences is obviously going to have a higher buget, better quality animation, more complexity, etc. Put cartoons next to Anime for kids and see how they stack up. The only problem with american or european animation is they have yet to try and make anything in the way of animation for older audiences. Thats not even true actually. In the department of Comedy, I think american animation has done stuff just as good as Anime. Its really only the action/drama genres they haven't yet attempted.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:51 am Reply with quote
I dunno about that, Justice League had some pretty good animation and it wasn't necissarily just for kids, lot's of sex jokes in it, some very apparent and some of the fighting was really good. (besides that, I can't really think of anything else) The nest closest thing would be Batman Beyond, but that show was "Ehh...".
p3rseus

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:31 am Reply with quote
I liked Justice League / Unlimited and Batman Beyond, not sure if they're considered anime though.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:44 am Reply with quote
p3rseus wrote:
I liked Justice League / Unlimited and Batman Beyond, not sure if they're considered anime though.

It's not.....I was saying it is one of few that have the quality of anime.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:46 am Reply with quote
I agree about Justice League/Unlimited and Batman/Batman Beyond being a lot more heavy and a lot less kid friendly than most American cartoons. Then again, the comics that they're based on weren't always kid friendly either. The animation may not be as intricate as a Japanese animated product but, that's only because the Koreans aren't as dedicated in animating as the Japanese. But, I'd say any of the comic book turned cartoon products are as good or almost as good as anime.

Those are special cases though, since they have a wealth of back material to take from. Usually, they get fans of the comics series to write and produce those types of shows. In all honesty, I'm just as big a fan of American animation as I am of anime. As of late, we've been getting some really well written projects like the 2003 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or the 2002 Masters of the Universe or, like the above mentioned, Justice League or Batman. Hell, Marvel's direct to DVD projects lately have been really good. Every once in a while we come up with some pretty good mature themed animated films that rival anime in scope, style and maturity. Most folks are right that America is not quite up to snuff, but I can't help but like even the more anime styled Western Animated projects. Stuff like W.I.T.C.H., Winx Club or even Avatar are still really cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2