• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - S P O R T S

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Maciste wrote:
>Chihayafuru
>Sports

All other anime in your article are about (real) pyhsical labor.

Did you not make it past the first episode, or the synopsis? There's as much physicality involved in Karuta as there is in golf, and I think most people consider golf a sport. It's not just touching cards. Smile
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:14 am Reply with quote
I have quite a few sports anime on my shelves. I like the shows very much and wish they would do better over here. oh well.

I have hopes that Haikyu!! will do well when S23 releases it. It is nice that there is still an R1 company that is willing to give sports anime a chance. I will certainly buy them, at least.

Personally I would love to have Free, Giant Killing, the second half of Yawara(i own the first half), and more Big Windup (again, I own the first 26 eps, but have little hope of ever seeing any more).

It seems most of the sports series I own are sadly incomplete; four volumes of Eyeshield 21, 11 volumes of Hikaru No Go.

At least I can watch Taisho Baseball Girls from start to finish. What a little gem. Also Princess Nine (I have the original DVDs and wondering if I should upgrade to Nozomi's new set, simply to support sports anime if nothing else...)

I am also enjoying Yowamushi Pedal, and plan to check out Ping Pong ASAP.

Thanks, Bamboo, for the great article.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:12 am Reply with quote
I'm thrilled to see the high praises for Oofuri. It's definitely one of my favorite series. I'm sad that it didn't do well enough for FUNi to pick up the second season though. =( I'm hoping we get a third season since the manga is still ongoing and the series should be popular enough.

I've been enjoying Ace of Diamond weekly. I like Oofuri better, but Ace is quite entertaining in its own right.

I've been reading the Haikyuu! manga and am keeping up with the anime. Love it! Hinata, Tanaka, and Noya san are awesome together. X3 We're always in for big laughs when they're on the same page.

YowaPeda continues to be great. Not reading the manga for this one so each week has me at the edge of my seat.

I've yet to watch Ping Pong but got a big recommendation from a co-worker before the anime series even began airing so this is one that I'll have to sit down for when I have the time.

Looking forward to the season season of Free! and still waiting on that third season for Chihayafuru...

Giant Killing definitely needs a continuation as well. Wish we had more of the manga at work. I'm reading the KuroBas manga weekly in Jump and ahhhhhhhhh!!!!! Good stuff.

In my opinion, the sports series to end all sports series is still Slam Dunk. Wow. I only watched maybe a third of the anime way back in my high school days but the manga was absolutely amazing. The fact that Shohoku spoiler[loses makes it even better, like the first Rocky movie.]

Last edited by crosswithyou on Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
kazuma46

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:12 am Reply with quote
Really happy to see the love for all these sports anime. I particularly like Ping Pong this season. Its style and atmosphere are very interesting. I have not checked out Haikyu!! but might have to now.
The Mask

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:18 am Reply with quote
I feel like a broken record when I say that Major is a sports anime that's definitely worth checking out. Despite not being a sports guy, this show has become one of my favorite anime series of all time.

I was not a baseball fan when I first watched the show, but what got me hooked was the drama inside and outside the baseball field. Season 1, in particular, is very notable because of how much it emphasized on the value of family and friends. Even if you're not a baseball fan, you can still manage to appreciate the story and relate with the characters in this series.

meepsheeps wrote:
The first six episodes of the first season is absolutely perfect and it pulls you into the series right away.

I agree. The story within these episodes really hits me a lot, and it makes you appreciate Goro (the main character) more. I know that some people would think that Goro is a jerk when they first see him from later episodes, but when you see the first few episodes, one could also empathize with Goro as well despite his shortcomings.

At this point, I doubt that this series would ever get a proper English release. But who knows? Maybe a surprise is waiting.
treatment

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Touch
Hiatari Ryoko

Nothing can top those two. Not even Adachi's other series.

Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4