• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: PSP Ends Shipments in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote
As usual a console lasts far longer in Japan than it does in Western countries where typically the very second a successor is released all support is instantly and summarily dropped. I can't remember the last time a game came out for the PSP in North America (you'd probably have to go back to last year and it was probably just another EA Sports title), but in Japan it looks like it's going at least until October of this year.
Dfens

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
According to that IGN article at the time it sold roughly over 3 million units per year over a 5 year period which was over 4 years ago. Not that impressive when the latest game console sold over 1 million units in the first month and was several times the cost.

Not too many gamers play the handheld devices these days, mostly young kids on the go which were bought by their parents.

I'm not saying that it was a piece of crap, but every time I went to buy a game no one was rushing in or even into the PSP section. Most of the those games just sat collecting dust especially those UMD movies that went no where it's a dead format for movies for the longest of times.

The unit didn't do much other than playing games. As a web browser my smart phone or tablet is better for that, ripping a movie to it was a pain in the ass. All on a bulky unit with a small screen.

Their were a few import games my buddy has I would love to have but buying a system I would rarely use to play a handful of games that cost over 80-100 dollars to import not worth it for me.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
It costs like $30 tops for many PSP imports dude.

People really oversell how much it costs to import games. Yeah new games can cost $80+. Wait and that price goes down a lot.

Also seems strange to compare home console sells to handheld sells.

And the PSP has a small screen? Compared to what? The Vita sure, but I'm not sure how that could be a problem when you had no problem with the DS.

Oh no it only play games, what a terrible thing a gaming handled does. It sure plays the games well and it's other features are still better then even the 3DS. I would hope your modern phone would be better at surfing the internet then a device that came out in 04. What were it's contemporaries then? The razor?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
As usual a console lasts far longer in Japan than it does in Western countries where typically the very second a successor is released all support is instantly and summarily dropped. I can't remember the last time a game came out for the PSP in North America (you'd probably have to go back to last year and it was probably just another EA Sports title), but in Japan it looks like it's going at least until October of this year.

While PSP releases have slowed down to a trickle in the western world, there's still a few holdouts. Natsume will launch End of Serenity within the next few months. It sounds like Gaijinworks and XSEED have one or two more titles in store as well. They'll be PSN-only releases, though. Even though Vita has sold very poorly, it's likely helped bring some more PSP to PSN.

In Japan, a new Uta no Prince game was announced for PSP today. It comes out in February 2015.

As for hardware, it looks like Japan is actually the second market where PSP is getting discontinued. Shipments in North America stopped in January, while it looks like Europe, Latin America, and the rest of Asia still have some time.

Dfens wrote:
According to that IGN article at the time it sold roughly over 3 million units per year over a 5 year period which was over 4 years ago. Not that impressive when the latest game console sold over 1 million units in the first month and was several times the cost.

Not too many gamers play the handheld devices these days, mostly young kids on the go which were bought by their parents.

I'm not saying that it was a piece of crap, but every time I went to buy a game no one was rushing in or even into the PSP section. Most of the those games just sat collecting dust especially those UMD movies that went no where it's a dead format for movies for the longest of times.

The unit didn't do much other than playing games. As a web browser my smart phone or tablet is better for that, ripping a movie to it was a pain in the ass. All on a bulky unit with a small screen.

Their were a few import games my buddy has I would love to have but buying a system I would rarely use to play a handful of games that cost over 80-100 dollars to import not worth it for me.

You asserted that PSP was a flop in the US, and that it had no games. That opinion was seemingly based off of your own anecdotal evidence. I presented proof that it was far from a flop. Did it outsell the DS? No, but you don't have to be #1 to be a success. That kind of thinking is part of what's killing the video game industry. No one would argue that the platform had more success in Asia than it did elsewhere, but that's not what you were saying.

As for your comments regarding media functionality, okay? PSP is a 10 year old machine that was primarily designed to play games. It had other functionality, but that was never the focal point, or else it wouldn't have used the PlayStation name. Obviously as time progressed, static hardware would be eclipsed by ever evolving ranges of devices. But when PSP launched, and heck, for a while after, it was the king in terms of what it could do.
iatheia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:27 am Reply with quote
Well, let's hope this means that Vita will finally start getting more love. Hearing that such a beautiful system is "useless" from people who haven't tried it is a bit disheartening.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
iatheia wrote:
Well, let's hope this means that Vita will finally start getting more love. Hearing that such a beautiful system is "useless" from people who haven't tried it is a bit disheartening.

Very true. I bought mine on release day and I've been enjoying it quite a bit. There are good games on the system, and it is quite easy to use.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I hope the Vita gets a lot more love. It's an amazing system. I just hope the love is'nt just the otaku stuff that Nis and IF peddle. Have no interests in that and don't want the system to just be that.

If it gets even half of the jrpg support the PSP got I'd be happy, but that is very unlikely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2