• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z Kai to Run on Adult Swim's Toonami Block

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
JEFFMAN219 wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I definitely wish they were showing regular DBZ. Kai is just an awkward Frankenstein experience to watch.

Please explain why it will be an awkward experience? Do you like watching filler?

It's not just the filler. Much of it was kept for Kai, and the animation styles that differed between DBZ episodes were mishmashed into a big mess (also the opening/ending themes had VASTLY different animation). It's obvious it was an old show that they were trying to look new. Also, I like Shunsuke Kikkuichi's music as much as the next fan, but it felt very cut/pasted and sounded really bizarre. Everything just felt squished and forced.

Also, I liked most of the extra character development that occurred in DBZ, particularly with Gohan. Kai lost so much of that impact. I enjoyed most of the extra stuff (not all though). Also, some material from the manga was cut from the Saiyan saga, which was rushed WAY too much. It only took a handful episodes to get through the Saiyan arc, but it's taking SIXTY-EIGHT for Majin Buu?

There's also the censorship that even occurred in the Japanese version, such Raditz and Goku getting big bruises instead of holes through their stomachs. To me, Kai always felt like an altered version of a show instead of a show itself.

penguintruth wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I definitely wish they were showing regular DBZ. Kai is just an awkward Frankenstein experience to watch.

Kai has less filler and a better English dub (more accurate, better acting).

It kind of beats the pants off of the original version in terms of convenience and fidelity.

You know my opinion on Kai very well, and trust me, I know yours...

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Sat May 24, 2014 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, unless they aired the original DBZ in Japanese with subtitles, which is never going to happen ever on that channel or any channel that wants ratings, I have no interest in watching that version of the show on American television.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote
And yet again DBZ is back on Toonami and the count down to the end of toonami again
Davy0

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The fandom infighting will exceed some sizeable number!

*lightly holds a calculator*

Over 9000 - *Troll Face Initiated.*
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
And yet again DBZ is back on Toonami and the count down to the end of toonami again

I somehow doubt that adding old Toonami's most popular franchise to the new block will result in it ending.

Kai is far from perfect, but if you're looking for an English version of DBZ, I can't in good conscience recommend anything but it. Maybe airing it on Toonami uncut will finally dispel the "Kai is for kids" nonsense caused by the Toonzai/Nicktoons broadcast editing.

Last edited by ParkerALx on Sat May 24, 2014 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
@Penguintruth It's fine if you wouldn't want to watch it, but please respect the opinions of others that don't mind the original DBZ (and your vocal DBZ posts are getting old, and I know you're just trying to gauge a reaction out of me). I mean, both shows are popular. Millions of people in the US have already seen DBZ and DBZ Kai (especially DBZ). It doesn't feel right to wish others would never see a particular version of something. There are dubs of anime that I don't particularly like, but I don't care if others' see them. It's of no concern to me if someone sees something I dislike, even versions I hate of stuff I'm passionate about. I would prefer Toonami show DBZ because I would prefer to see that myself than DBZ Kai. It's REALLY no big deal to me. Really.
SiLVER820

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
This is cool. Kai is the only way that I've been able to watch BDZ.

I hope they put Bebop on at a reasonable hour. A two hour block of AoT, DBZ, Space Dandy, then Bebop would be ideal. Book end with two incredible shows!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
@Penguintruth It's fine if you wouldn't want to watch it, but please respect the opinions of others that don't mind the original DBZ (and your vocal DBZ posts are getting old, and I know you're just trying to gauge a reaction out of me). I mean, both shows are popular. Millions of people in the US have already seen DBZ and DBZ Kai (especially DBZ). It doesn't feel right to wish others would never see a particular version of something. There are dubs of anime that I don't particularly like, but I don't care if others' see them. It's of no concern to me if someone sees something I dislike, even versions I hate of stuff I'm passionate about. I would prefer Toonami show DBZ because I would prefer to see that myself than DBZ Kai. It's REALLY no big deal to me. Really.

The English dub of DBZ isn't really DBZ, though. It's some weird mutant version of the show. At least Kai's dub gets the dialogue right.

It becomes difficult to talk about the show when people are often quoting things that were never actually said in the show, which is why it bothers me. Discussions about the characters and their motivations are hard to carry on when people think Son Goku is the kind of guy who gives big, ornate speeches.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:04 pm Reply with quote
We've had this discussion many times on many other boards, so I see no point in discussing it further (I don't even CARE as much as I used to. I'm not 15 anymore). Obviously I can't tell you what to do or anything, but honestly, do you have nothing better to do than bitch about the US version of a Japanese television show all over the internet? Is it really THAT big a deal? All I ask is that you at least stay away from me with the topic. I'd rather not spend so much time arguing about something that REALLY doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. I watch my TV shows the way I want to, and you watch them the way you want to.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:07 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
We've had this discussion many times on many other boards, so I see no point in discussing it further (I don't even CARE as much as I used to. I'm not 15 anymore). Obviously I can't tell you what to do or anything, but honestly, do you have nothing better to do than bitch about the US version of a Japanese television show all over the internet? Is it really THAT big a deal? All I ask is that you at least stay away from me with the topic. I'd rather not spend so much time arguing about something that REALLY doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. I watch my TV shows the way I want to, and you watch them the way you want to.

I seem to recall signing up for ANN's message board long before you came around. I didn't follow you here. This subject came up. I commented. Don't flatter yourself with the notion I only debate you over this.
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
So that's like almost 2 years to get through, right? For someone who gets tired of how stretched out DBZ became, is Kai really any kind of improvement for speeding shit along or do they just cut everything that isn't fighting?

The Dragon Ball Z anime ran for 291 episodes. Kai will end at 165. If you go with Kai, be prepared for awful music placement, jarring transitions between 1980s/early 90s cell animation and digital traces, as well as changes between good animation days and the not so good ones. I also can't forget the abysmal new music score for the Boo storyline!

So in short be prepared for the basic problems plaguing any anime based on a long running series?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I seem to recall signing up for ANN's message board long before you came around. I didn't follow you here. This subject came up. I commented. Don't flatter yourself with the notion I only debate you over this.

Trust me, I know you don't. You complaining on your own or arguing with someone else is a different matter, as annoying and tiresome as it is to see. I was talking about you specifically responding to ME, when you have done so on COUNTLESS, COUNTLESS other times on SEVERAL sites, with the same topic no less.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:30 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Trust me, I know you don't. You complaining on your own or arguing with someone else is a different matter, as annoying and tiresome as it is to see. I was talking about you specifically responding to ME, when you have done so on COUNTLESS, COUNTLESS other times on SEVERAL sites, with the same topic no less.

I'm simply engaging in a debate with somebody with contrary views, as is customary in a message board forum. The person just happens to be you. You don't get special immunity from it because I've already talked to you about it. If you aren't interested in debating it, just ignore the comments altogether.

Back on the subject at hand, I certainly hope Kai airs as uncut as they can get it, though even in Japan they edited that Makankosappo hole. Mostly the blood is still in the show, though. Just recently the fight with Videl and Spopovich aired in Japan and it was about as bloody as I recall.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sat May 24, 2014 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'm simply engaging in a debate with somebody with contrary views, as is customary in a message board forum. The person just happens to be you. You don't get special immunity from it because I've already talked to you about it. If you aren't interested in debating it, just ignore the comments altogether.

I'll gladly ignore them, but PLEASE keep that in mind when attempting to argue with me about DBZ (regardless of the website). Please. I see no point in arguing with somebody at all, much less with the same topic.

Quote:
Back on the subject at hand, I certainly hope Kai airs as uncut as they can get it, though even in Japan they edited that Makankosappo hole.

[adult swim] is usually pretty easy on edits, I wouldn't worry about it being censored.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
As for who likes the filler in Dragonball Z, me. The thing about Kai is it's very obvious in terms of the pacing where stuff is removed. The original show was not structured or paced like the manga so trying to cut it down like the manga makes it feel odd to me. If they made a total remake and did it then it might be paced better, but for me Kai just seems a bit odd. It's also hard to remove all the anime stuff given it's so integrated into the show sometimes. Like Grgeory. I still prefer the original anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5