• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Series that arent really "good" or a favorite....

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:09 pm Reply with quote
What series arent technically "good," But are just fun to watch? I was watching Panyo Panyo Digi Charat, and.. it's dumb. It's dumb, cute, and the whole thing is just rediculous. But I couldnt help but watch it with a big stupid grin on my face. I still cant get the OP out of my head -_-
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Tough to answer seeing as how I usually don't watch something I don't think is good. Generally for me to watch something I actually need to want to, silly me right Anime dazed Off the top of my head I'm throwing out Tenjho Tenge. It wasn't honestly that good of an anime but I enjoyed the manga and found myself giggling every time Maya transformed into her "big" self.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:39 am Reply with quote
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

I still dont think it was that bad, although alot of others dissagree. I'll admit there were definitely some issues. Still, I just love watching this (and Im not even a FFVII fan) Best fast-paced type fights ever.

Dragon Ball Z

As much as id like to I cant make a case for this being "good". Still though, maybe its just because it was responsibe for getting me into Anime, but I cant help but like it.
mind over matter

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:09 am Reply with quote
well, right now I'm watching El Cazador de la bruja and
Manabi Straight!. Both are good, but I wouldn't consider them my favorites. El Cazador de la bruja seems too much like Trigun to be original, and the pointless but cute school girl series seems to be over done (that, or I've been watching too much of it Very Happy )
Torhu_San

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:14 am Reply with quote
Most people I know found Petite Princess Yucie to be a typical magical girl/ fairy tale type story. It had cute characters and a typical ending. But I found to be enjoyable all the same.

One story I LOVED that I thought could use major improvements was Princess Nine. I think it needed more character development and back story of some of the characters. It also really needed a second season. But I loved it from beginning to end. But that might be because I love baseball so much. Smile
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:35 am Reply with quote
I can think of some.

Afro Samurai - It really wasn't that all that good as a far as anime series go, but it sure as heck was entertaining from start to finish!

Girls Bravo - This series is pretty bad in my opinion. But it is still quite funny and there's a ton of fan service. It makes for a fun watch when I need cheering up.

Ghost Stories - The English Dub is a riot (which makes this series worth watching), but it still can't completely make up for the lame storytelling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Enjeru

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quote
I would have to agree with Tenjho Tenge. Decent fighting and pretty good animation along with an ok story.
Maburaho is another decent anime. Again it has good animation and a pretty decent story. I'll watch this when I don't want to think too much.
Last Exile is one of those series on cusp for me. It is so close to being really good for me, the story just falls short in a few places for me. However the CG and the characters are great.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Azathrael

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Enjeru wrote:
I would have to agree with Tenjho Tenge. Decent fighting and pretty good animation along with an ok story.
Maburaho is another decent anime. Again it has good animation and a pretty decent story. I'll watch this when I don't want to think too much.
Last Exile is one of those series on cusp for me. It is so close to being really good for me, the story just falls short in a few places for me. However the CG and the characters are great.

huh? Last Exile, compared to the other two anime you listed, is good. Maburaho and Tenjou Tenge are poorly planned and of near-bottom quality that aren't at all good, simply fun to watch (particularly because it's so bad). I don't think Last Exile belongs in this thread at all.

Green Green is a title a lot like Girls Bravo. Except the pretty-much-hentai-OVA, I'd say the two were like twin anime - both bad but both bearable to watch from beginning to end.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quote
pretty much every shounen series falls into this category, except for maybe Fullmetal Alchemist. as of recently i'm getting the same vibe from Gurren Lagann.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Elemental Gelade is about as Dead-on average a fantasy/adventure anime can get. Nothing- and I mean nothing- in the story is going to catch you by surprise at all. But I really enjoy it! (In fact, I'm gonna go watch some of it as soon I get offline.)

Super Gals! is akin to watching Something like Clueless in anime form- it has all the deep storytelling of any late 80s/early 90s "dude" flick (ala Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Troop Beverly Hills, etc.) But if you can stand a heavy dose of dated Valley-girl-ness, you could really enjoy it. I do.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Not really good and not really a favorite, but one I like to watch...hmmm...
I can think of a few that fall into this catagory.
Weiss Kreuz or Knight Hunters fits I think. Bad animation (really bad) schmaltzy angsty bishi boys whos lives are all wrong forced to become assasins for various reasons and fight bishi baddies who have angsty pasts as well. If you like angst and slash, this series is great...if not...well...

Another is like it I think, Yami no Matsuei or Descendants of Darkness. Another slashable series with angsty bishis...
not the greatest, but fun to watch...if you like that sort of thing.
free2slap

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Bleach, One piece, DBZ, They all fall or me in this category. I wouldn't consider them as a very good anime simply because they drag too much but i still enjoy them, and especially One piece.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:20 pm Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
Not really good and not really a favorite, but one I like to watch...hmmm...
I can think of a few that fall into this catagory.
Weiss Kreuz or Knight Hunters fits I think. Bad animation (really bad) schmaltzy angsty bishi boys whos lives are all wrong forced to become assasins for various reasons and fight bishi baddies who have angsty pasts as well. If you like angst and slash, this series is great...if not...well...

Another is like it I think, Yami no Matsuei or Descendants of Darkness. Another slashable series with angsty bishis...
not the greatest, but fun to watch...if you like that sort of thing.

I have burned Weiss Kreuz from my mind, thanks for bringing it back up bonbon. Crying or Very sad

Another angsty ridden bishi series that falls along the lines of DOD would be Mirage of Blaze. Gotta be good looking while being angsty and fighting evil.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Ikki Tousen/Ikki Tousen: Dragon Destiny and Tenjho Tenge definitely. They're the kind of series that are so bad they're actually fun to watch. You watch them for the fights and the T&A, and that's about it.

Najica: Blitz Tactics and Mezzo TV I'd also add. They're mindless action shows with some entertaining gunfights and loads of fanservice and nothing much else of interest. Though Najica was the better of the two in my opinion.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Inukami: It's pretty much impossible to call it good with all its stupid gags, lame melodrama, and often times cheesy plot, but that's all part of the charm of the show for me. I'm a complete sucker for Yui Horie-voiced characters, moreso when they weren't meant to be cute, even more so when they talk slutty. That's why I love the main female character Yoko, and she also has enough spunk to be a very likeable character. I also like the eventual haremfest with...11 girls and one guy, all of this which entertains me to no end.

I can't think of any more for the moment, actually...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3