• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Weary Optimism

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:55 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:

that's cause most of them are on PC where they don't tend to make a big deal about how high resolution they are since that's kinda pointless cause it's down to the PC they're played on.

Then can you give me the actual title of at least one of these games? I hear games support it, but can you give me a game that will actually render content in that great of detail and not simply as an upscale from 720 or 1080p?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:14 am Reply with quote
Ryujin99 wrote:

Then can you give me the actual title of at least one of these games? I hear games support it, but can you give me a game that will actually render content in that great of detail and not simply as an upscale from 720 or 1080p?

Try, like...every PC game released in the past three years.
Xagor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:21 am Reply with quote
Ryujin99 wrote:
There seems to be a lot of discussion in this thread about how useful/important 4K is or is not.

I have yet to hear of any significant game, movie, or other content produced in this resolution, but maybe I just don't follow the news enough.

So, here's my question: Can anyone provide actual examples of content produced in 4K? Unless someone can give me hard evidence that content producers are actually using it at this point, then I remain skeptical that any of the purported amounts of 4K content actually exist.

I believe the London 2012 Olympics were filmed in 4K. I read about them doing demos of this as a way of showing off the technology. (Probably at the BBC). Whether any of this has been released for public consumption, I don't know.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:23 am Reply with quote
To clarify, 4K production is here now, it's not THAT much harder than 2K/1080p, just takes a lot more horsepower to work with the additional resolution. Heck, I can edit and color correct 4K right now. 3K, 4K and 5K cameras have been out for a while, and are becoming cheaper and cheaper. A friend of mine actually did a SFX-laden YouTube short that made the rounds over the holidays, and he rendered entirely in 4K.

4K has benefits as an acquisition format, but it's always better to shoot in the highest resolution possible, and then when you downconvert, most of the detail is retained through scaling. That's why DVDs that still came from HD masters still look pretty darn good. You also have the freedom to zoom in and crop the image in post-production. More detail and a cleaner image is also valuable for compositing when you add graphics.

The argument I'm making is that as a final presentation format, its usage in the home is limited, and tthe additional detail will not be visible to the naked eye under normal viewing conditions. The only possible use I see for resolution that great is either a) large format theatrical presentation, or b) an extremely close-up viewing experience such as the Occulus Rift and other 3D goggles, once those sport higher resolution displays. In order for your eye to be able to make out the detail present in a 4K image, it basically has to take up your ENTIRE field of vision. Otherwise, your eye just isn't that finely detailed.
partially

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:40 am Reply with quote
Ryujin99 wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:

that's cause most of them are on PC where they don't tend to make a big deal about how high resolution they are since that's kinda pointless cause it's down to the PC they're played on.

As long as the dev has allowed the resolution option, any game can run at 4K, the devs don't always allow it though. Any recent major release however can run at 4K on PC, Crysis games, Thief, in fact Titanfall made a silly advert recently saying it ran at 4K. In fact if you really wanted to go dual-monitor and play at 8K there is nothing stopping you as long as you have the computer grunt to do so. It is not "upscaled" as you put it.

People seem to have an odd conception about how hardware can output resolution, which seems to go back to consoles and all this talk about "Xbox One can't run 1080p games", "PS3 can't run 720p", etc and back it goes. The thing is that is just stupid, the Xbox One can run games at 1080p if the dev optimises and removes some graphics options, they just decide not to. A game is not made at any particular resolution, nor is it fixed to that. A game is not a film. You aren't looking at a flat picture when playing a game, instead it is a world constructed from 3D geometry; that geometry will run natively at whichever resolution you choose. Certain game assets will not look the best at higher resolutions and upscale, textures being the obvious example but the actual geometry will be at 4K, it will just be covered by a crappy upscaled picture. Hence why there are often modders out there that make texture packs for higher resolutions when the dev does not do so themselves. A console game that has had its resolution fixed at 792p does not mean in the slightest that the game couldn't be run natively at 1080p instead of upscaled or any other resolution for that matter. It simply means that the devs have optimised the game to run at that resolution because of hardware limitations. That 792p is for Titanfall on Xbox One, and yes the same game can run natively at 4K on a PC if you choose to do so.

@jsevakis, I entirely agree with you. 4K as a format makes sense for some applications, larger computer monitors (30in) and in some cases things like the Oculus. For TV though it is pretty much a gimmick. In all likelihood in the future our houses will be SMALLER not bigger, which makes it even more pointless as most people will not want their TV taking up half their house. I wouldn't mind though. Wink The only other useful application I can see 4K for are projectors.

Last edited by partially on Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:06 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Quote:
descent into pedophilia and incest tropes

... Wait, is that supposed to be a bad thing?

Laughing
I don't even know what Justin's talking about. According to the Internet's most trusted authority on media tropes, anime and manga with supposedly high amounts of incest/pedo content like Kodomo no Jikan, Astarotte's Toy, Popotan, Chuu-Bra, Qwaser of Stigmata*, Kiss x Sis, Ro-Kyu-Bu, Eiken, and others are merely fabrications, fictitious figments of anime fandom's collective animation.

enurtsol wrote:
And with no regular shoujo anime anymore, there's also much less jr high school girls grazing the aisles of bookstores (hence less support).
Don't they typically go more for the long-running shounen stuff rather than shoujo anyway?

Last edited by Zalis116 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:43 am; edited 2 times in total
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:34 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Of course, that doesn't help us here in North America that much if we don't actually get those cleaned-up versions from our local licensees, either because somebody in the chain forgot/never knew about the fixed version, or because the Japanese side intentionally sabotaged the overseas release.

Yeah the occasional slipup (intentional or not) worries me too. Luckily it doesn't happen often and there are people who keened eyed and eared enough to spot them.

AsherFischell wrote:
king 47 wrote:
That Pilot's love song question is from me, thanks Justin. Now I'm more optimistic.
I suppose I'll look into it when it comes out, I'll probably read the reviews. But that show was really bad in that regard.

The thing about Pilot's Love Song is that the problems you mentioned in your question are constant. When the issues with art and animation quality are as pervasive as they are in that series, it's unlikely that the BD release is going to be much better. If they wanted that show to look good, they'd have to redraw tons and tons of frames and redo a lot of animation and that simply isn't going to happen.

I can't say specifically about the Pilot's Love Song, but in general I would not discount anything being corrected or updated for home video. I've been tracking it and it happens much more than even Justin mentions. Even unpopular shows get lots of fixes. Even if the fixes are constant, like every scene, or most frames, there's a strong possibility studios will still do it.

Some examples:

- Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu: some scenes here and here
- Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko: scenes from BD volume 5 (ep 9 and 10). Almost every scene changed. But this is fairly typical of SHAFT. They seem to go over every frame for home video.
- Symphogear: also many small changes throughout the show
- Muv Luv Total Eclipse: massive updates throughout the whole show. Not just the decensoring/nudity. All the mechas changed. They practically redid the entire show for home video.

- Shigofumi: some scenes here and here. Despite being a very bad seller
- Natsuiro Kiseki: survey of changes from from all volumes. Low seller (1k DVD, 2k BD) but still constant changes throughout. All those scenes with characters going off-model like say, after turning around? Fixed.
- Maoyuu: Maoh Yuusha: also lots of constant fixups. This sold worse than Natsuiro Kiseki too (350 DVD, 2,298 BD avg)
- Dusk Maiden of Amnesia: again, lots of changes, very poor seller (1,838 BD avg)

Last edited by configspace on Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:49 am Reply with quote
The new phones will be 4K. If you like the resolution of your phone as a tv screen then you will be happy. 4K resolution is fantastic but getting quite large. Or ignore it. If you gotta ask you can't afford it.

You downloaders are going to probably hate it because of the vast chunks of memory it takes to watch and run them in the future. (it's going to be great)

Just wait till 8k and bendable OLED displays hit. BTW NASA views planets with 16k.Crazy.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:22 am Reply with quote
If ya guys ever seen a 4k OLED TV with proper 4k content (content where 4k would actually make a difference, probably not anime, but live-action where minute details matter), it really does look nice. All that can be had for the sale price of $10k! Smile

In terms of N. American fandom, we gain some, we lose some. We gain stability in numbers, fewer roller-coaster highs and lows. Anime has become more accepted as a hobby, so more easily find fellow fans. We lost at least a couple of segments: with no more classic Toonami and Pokemon waning and no other Digimon-level series, there's hardly kids starting it. And with no regular shoujo anime anymore, there's also much less jr high school girls grazing the aisles of bookstores (hence less support).
melmouth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
descent into pedophilia and incest tropes

... Wait, is that supposed to be a bad thing?

Laughing
I don't even know what Justin's talking about. According to the Internet's most trusted authority on media tropes, anime and manga with supposedly high amounts of incest/pedo content like Kodomo no Jikan, Astarotte's Toy, Popotan, Chuu-Bra, Qwaser of Stigmata*, Kiss x Sis, Ro-Kyu-Bu, Eiken, and others are merely fabrications, fictitious figments of anime fandom's collective imagination.

I know why he Justin said this:

VIEWING WITH ALARM any faintest shade of anything sexual or even romantic that doesn't fit within America's narrow media morality -- is a standard trope of Anime News Network! I've read enough reviews here to understand that. The site also quietly and perpetually crusades against ecchi and fanservice.

I've never understood why they don't just accept that JAPAN'S MEDIA MORALITY IS DIFFERENT. After all the manga reading I've done, I can see that Japanese creators routinely put fanservice and little hints of semi-transgressive romance into their stories to keep you interested. Kind of like American movies insert bombings shootings, and killings.

In the case of manga and anime, though, the standard sexy tropes are all all DRAWN media. No human has acted out the mildly forbidden or semi-forbidden behavior that the ANN folk get so incensed about.

Accepting the wonderful drawn media of Japan and then trying to turn it into Disney-esque sanitized pablum, if ever totally successful, will kill the goose that lays these foreign golden eggs.
king 47

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
melmouth wrote:

VIEWING WITH ALARM any faintest shade of anything sexual or even romantic that doesn't fit within America's narrow media morality -- is a standard trope of Anime News Network! I've read enough reviews here to understand that. The site also quietly and perpetually crusades against ecchi and fanservice.

I've never understood why they don't just accept that JAPAN'S MEDIA MORALITY IS DIFFERENT. After all the manga reading I've done, I can see that Japanese creators routinely put fanservice and little hints of semi-transgressive romance into their stories to keep you interested. Kind of like American movies insert bombings shootings, and killings.

In the case of manga and anime, though, the standard sexy tropes are all all DRAWN media. No human has acted out the mildly forbidden or semi-forbidden behavior that the ANN folk get so incensed about.

Accepting the wonderful drawn media of Japan and then trying to turn it into Disney-esque sanitized pablum, if ever totally successful, will kill the goose that lays these foreign golden eggs.

I lived most of my life outside of America, I have also experienced many different cultures and regions. Just let me tell you that I've never been anywhere or heard of a place that loves incest and pedophilia, aside from the Otaku community and some individual freaks.

What I don't understand is how anime fans keep defending incest and pedophilia as if it is normal. It's not, and this isn't ANN or american mentality. Being drawn doesn't change anything. If a live action movie had two unrelated actors play siblings and falling in love, it would still be looked at the same way.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I puzzled over FUNimation's decision to release 26-episodes of Oh! Edo Rocket with dubs.

Ah yes, that was one of the other ones that stood out at the time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
king 47 wrote:
melmouth wrote:

I lived most of my life outside of America, I have also experienced many different cultures and regions. Just let me tell you that I've never been anywhere or heard of a place that loves incest and pedophilia, aside from the Otaku community and some individual freaks.

What I don't understand is how anime fans keep defending incest and pedophilia as if it is normal. It's not, and this isn't ANN or american mentality. Being drawn doesn't change anything. If a live action movie had two unrelated actors play siblings and falling in love, it would still be looked at the same way.

care to list a few of the places you've lived?[/b]
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I just got my new Mac Pro back from repair shop. It is my baby. Baby is home. Baby is happy to be home. I am happy to have baby home.

Without baby I cry a lot. I sleep next to where baby sleeps, and I curl up into a C. "Where is baby?" I howl in my sleep. But baby is not there. I sad.

But now baby is home and I happy.

I now use baby to answer your questions.

Well that was mildly disturbing. No "precious" comments? XD

yuna49 wrote:
I puzzled over FUNimation's decision to release 26-episodes of Oh! Edo Rocket with dubs. When I watched it in fansubs, I thought was "too Japanese" to have a market in R1, so when it was released I wondered if it was part of some package deal with Madhouse or Universal.

I hasten to add that it most certainly does not qualify as a "stinker." It remains one of my most favorite shows.

More praise for Oh! Edo Rocket, I say! The dub for the show was really good and I loved how it even poked fun at some of the things said in the Japanese version, with lines like, "That joke makes absolutely no sense in English! Feh, puns."
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
melmouth wrote:

I've never understood why they don't just accept that JAPAN'S MEDIA MORALITY IS DIFFERENT.

No, it's not. The news media in Japan have painted otaku as a bunch of pedophiles over there due to the prevalence of loli and other sexual weirdness in their media, parents are scared of them and don't really want their kids sucked into that world. That's the mainstream, generally accepted worldview. Most people in Japan are not otaku and are extremely shocked and squicked out when they see this stuff, just like in America. You remember that anti-loli law that passed in Tokyo that whipped everyone up into a frenzy about censorship? EXTREMELY POPULAR. Like, well over 70% in support.

I know the loli fans like to trot out this well-worn story that it's some SUPER IMPORTANT CULTURAL DIFFERENCE we're missing, but there is absolutely no industrialized country that finds sexual arousal involving children, animated or otherwise, to be socially acceptable. Legality is another matter, but Japan is absolutely not this place you dream it is. Sorry.

Not casting aspersions, like what you like as long as you're not hurting anyone. I'm as pro-free speech as they come. But your expectation that I have to approve of child imagery being used for pervy things is going to forever be left unmet. If that makes you frustrated, there's nothing I can do about that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6