• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKids to Release The Tale of The Princess Kaguya in North America

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Hooray!
xScar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I hope they remove the second "the" from the title...

I know that's how it's listed on all Japanese merchandise, but Princess Mononoke is also listed as "The Princess Mononoke" -- it's just totally unneeded.

Anyway, looking forward to see. I saw Poppy Hill when GKids put it out in theaters, and if I'm back in the US by the time they release Kaguya, I definitely won't miss it.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Great news! GKIDS did a fantastic job on Poppy Hill so I expect just as much quality with this release as well. I didn't think Disney was going to end up picking this one up. Doesn't fit their criteria. It's not Miyazaki or very kid friendly. And I don't think they're comfortable with releasing something with a scene featuring *gasp!* breast feeding (and naked babies of course, that's always fun). I predict Marnie will definitely get released by Disney when the time comes, it certainly looks to be in line with many of Ghibli's past British inspired fantasies. They eat that stuff up, it's just more accessible I suppose. And isn't this movie like, ridiculously long too? Even more-so than The Wind Rises, or so I've heard. And that movie is already over the two hour mark.

Anyway, I'm really glad GKIDS picked this up. Besides Disney, I'd say they're best suited for the job. Poppy Hill had a wonderful English dub cast, and I expect this to be no exception. I just hope they don't take so long to release this on Blu-ray this time. The wait for Poppy Hill was painful, especially since no theaters in rural Pennsylvania have any interest whatsoever in playing anime films.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:08 pm Reply with quote
@GATSU,

JUNE??? Hell, at least put up a pre-order so I can put my order in. Not even a little peep. Thanks for getting me that info. Smile

At least that will go in the next fiscal budget. Guess students will have to watch it when comes out or over the summer if it gets another screening before the release.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Jay:
Quote:
It's not Miyazaki or very kid friendly.

How the hell is it not kid-friendly? It's in water color and based on a classic Japanese children's story.

Quote:
I predict Marnie will definitely get released by Disney when the time comes, it certainly looks to be in line with many of Ghibli's past British inspired fantasies.

Only if it's not a POS.

Quote:
And isn't this movie like, ridiculously long too? Even more-so than The Wind Rises,

It's only 11 minutes longer than The Wind Rises.

Chrno: Amazon.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:00 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

How the hell is it not kid-friendly? It's in water color and based on a classic Japanese children's story.

It's a stylistically super-artsy movie that's over two hours long. While I haven't heard much in the way regarding "inappropriate content" beyond breast-feeding and naked babies, most kids over here aren't exactly patient enough for two-hours plus of slowly-paced Takahata-style naturalistic film-making. Even My Neighbors the Yamadas, which has the benefit of being a broad comedy, is a little too much for a lot of kids (I know, since I used to use Ghibli as my prime baby-sitting tool back when I was in high school all those years ago). It's not that it isn't ok for kids, it's that it probably won't be something that many of them would enjoy, I'm guessing.

That aside, I'm very, very excited for this. Takahata's infrequent movies have all been amazing, and in many ways he's elevated anime as an art form more than pretty much anyone else. Though I'm not getting my hopes up, I really hope he has one more film in him before his retirement brings an end to the classic golden age of Studio Ghibli.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:03 am Reply with quote
koinosuke: Bah, if they can sit through three hour Harry Potter movies, they can handle Kaguya Hime. Unless they got those shitty parents who encourage them to disturb moviegoers.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
Encourage them? I don't think parents ever encourage kids to disturb people at the movies. Kids just act naturally.

Have you ever taken a kid to the movies? Harry Potter is meant for older children who, if they haven't read the books themselves, are familiar with and interested in the story. Younger kids (I'd say under 7) would probably be bored and/or scared.

But kids can surprise you. My 5-year-old niece loves Wolf Children. I thought I would have to fast forward though the boring (pre-birth) parts and scary (spoiler[Wolf Dad's death and storm]) parts, but she wanted to see the whole thing and loved it all! I left a copy (yay, dual packs) at my sister's and heard she watched the whole thing again! Maybe I should get her Totoro or something...she might be an auter.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Amazon.

The release isn't up yet. And hasn't been for a year now since it was supposed to have been released early last year. All those entries don't even pertain to the right one. There are only the imports and some other entries. The title has not been listed as of yet. Unless it's listed on the distributor's site. If you can provide a link and the info. that would be great.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Agent:
Quote:
I don't think parents ever encourage kids to disturb people at the movies. Kids just act naturally.

No, I really do think those a-holes want attention, so they let their kids be as bratty as possible. As for Wolf Children, it is a family film, so I'm not surprised your niece dug it. I was bored with it, though. Laughing

Chrno: Yeah, Amazon's search engine is getting crappy nowadays. Here you go. Thanks to @WTK for that link.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

I don't think you've read much into the film then. It has some pretty dark and serious moments/themes, not to mention some scenes of nudity. I know that those things aren't necessarily inappropriate, but you know how some western viewers can be, assuming that all animation is completely childish. The original story wasn't exactly all that lighthearted either, at least not by western standards.

Quote:
Only if it's not a POS.

I highly doubt it will be. It's being directed by Yonebayashi, who did a good job on Arrietty. I see no reason why this won't be the same case. The premise sounds totally Ghibli.

Quote:
It's only 11 minutes longer than The Wind Rises.

Which is already really long as it is.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh:
Quote:
I don't think you've read much into the film then. It has some pretty dark and serious moments/themes, not to mention some scenes of nudity.

So does the original Superman movie.

Quote:
I highly doubt it will be. It's being directed by Yonebayashi, who did a good job on Arrietty.

Sorry. I thought you were talking about the project Goro is doing. My bad. Embarassed

Quote:
Which is already really long as it is.

Yeah, but that intentionally had a slow pace. Kaguya Hime should be smoother sailing.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Chrno: Yeah, Amazon's search engine is getting crappy nowadays. Here you go. Thanks to @WTK for that link.

Thanks, you're a lifesaver. Yeah, Amazon's engine is pretty wonky. It took me awhile just to find AoT. I literally had to add it to a list so I wouldn't have look for it again. I find it one day, then can't find it another and you have to go through several other entries just to find it. Ugggh. Maybe I'll send them a complaint on this matter.

Again thanks, no I can add this to our collection and put a preorder in for myself. Surprised
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2