• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The worst Anime/Not Anime, but related DVD feature....

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:54 am Reply with quote
Out of all your Anime DVD's, what features included with the DVD pretty much made you at least think twice about why the company included it or caused you to think how well you can use it as target practice? It could be stupid extras, pointless technical gaffe, heck, even the artbox extras is fair game.

The Initial D movie pretty much drew up a recurring pet peeve of mine when it comes to some DVD's: the inability to Fast Forward to the movie from the few moments after I pop it into the tray, subjecting me to the adverts of their other properties that has a 99% likely chance of me not to buy because I was unable to enjoy the movie and get me into a good mood. There is a reason why someone invented "PREVIEWS" that is put into the "EXTRAS" section where I can watch it at my leisure. Most of the time, I pretty much grow aggrivated after trying to use NEXT or DVD MENU to fast forward and I either leave the room or switch back to Digital Cable and watch something on A&E and not get back to the movie for 15 minutes. Heck, i'm partly the reason why DVD's sales are declining.

So I wanna hear what you guys have to say. Perhaps one of you will remind me of another stupid extra a company decided to add as worthless filler.
douglas2k6

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:08 am Reply with quote
I totally 100% agree with you regarding the adverts...complete waste of my time.

One feature I usually find annoying is commentary from the VA cast. Not to say that the commentary is a bad thing, it's that they always make a commentary for a single episode when there are 4-5 episodes on a disc. I would like to have commentary for ALL episodes on the disc!
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:38 am Reply with quote
I agree about not being able to fast forward to the menu. It doesn't stop me from buying the dvds but it is annoying to have to watch the preview everytime I put the dvd in. Its even worse when it isn't an anime preview like on Dragon Ball Z movie 9.
mjgeo

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:11 am Reply with quote
When you guys talk about adverts appearing when you first put in the DVD, what exactly are you referring to?

Is it the credits for the various companies that had a role in making the movie/series? Or are they actual advertisments for other products?
I've never come across any actual advertisments in my DVD collection, but maybe it's something R4 releases don't have.

Anyway, I usually find the image collection you sometimes get in the extras menu to be pretty pointless. I'm sure some people like it, I just don't know who or why.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:01 am Reply with quote
mjgeo wrote:
When you guys talk about adverts appearing when you first put in the DVD, what exactly are you referring to?

Is it the credits for the various companies that had a role in making the movie/series? Or are they actual advertisments for other products?
I've never come across any actual advertisments in my DVD collection, but maybe it's something R4 releases don't have.

Example from the Initial D Movie:

load disc
Black Screen
Tai Sek Logo/Short Animation
Trailer Promo for House of Fury
*point where I gave up and watched Dog the Bounty Hunter*
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:29 am Reply with quote
The oddest recent thing I can think of is the cross dressing voice actors on the second Le Chevalier DVD. I didn't realize that they were the English VA when I first scanned it and found it even more odd. The bonus item that I threw away would be the blood pack that came with Hellsing television DVD one. I was afraid that it would break and make a mess so I dumped it in the trash. The cyborg maid gashapons that came with GITS SAC DTS edition was really lame. Why did they include this instead of a figure of Aramaki, Ishikawa or one of the other Section 9 members. Even worse a later volume came with another identical maid figure. The GITS mouse pad also was tossed out along with the Last Exile one since I type from a nice couch in my room and use a track ball.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:29 am Reply with quote
When the chapters are whole episodes long, meaning if you want to skip past the credits, you have to hold the fast forward button, since just pressing the chapter skip button will take you straight to the next episode. And the inability to skip adverts bugs me too.
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:47 am Reply with quote
I don't know of specific features that are useless, and I never have a problem getting past any opening ads or trailers so those don't irk me either. What I really hate is when a DVD cover lists something in the "DVD special features" or "DVD extras" section that are no where in the DVD. Like when they list a cast or crew interview and I'm looking forward to finding it in the bonus section only to learn that it is on an insert or booklet instead. I have no problem with them printing an interview but it is a bit misleading when the cover shows it is a "DVD feature." List it as an extra but not a s a DVD extra, that would save a few headaches for angry fans who were looking forward to watching an interview and had no clue we would be reading it instead.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:39 am Reply with quote
The Ergo Proxy "Bonus" disc. How many people need 1/4-length, 1/2-length, and full length versions of a trailer and a commercial for a series that they just purchased? And the first two "featurettes" looked more like promo spots than any insightful information. Then there were the creditless openings and an art gallery: things I mostly take for granted and ignore anyway in the standard "extras" section of my anime DVDs.

The roughly half-hour English staff interview was fairly interesting though. The lesser hymns of Soloman, eh?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:52 am Reply with quote
I've never understood the point of putting in the Japanese trailer for a show...especially when it isn't translated so you have ZERO clue as to what the hell is being said.

And another thing that irritates me, and Funi is extremely guilty of doing this, is the 2 to 5 minute long advertisment for a series...and you CANNOT skip or fast-forward past it. You are STUCK with having to watch this until it ends. So, with any Funi disc I get, I put it in the player then go and do something else for 5 minutes or so.
sykosteve

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:54 am Reply with quote
Something that I thought was stupid on my Kenshin DVDS were the english voice actor outtakes...as if the english VAs weren't bad enough, they added their mishaps to the disc as well. And it's not like the extras at the end of CG movies like monsters inc where the characters are animated making the mistakes, but the video reel just keeps rolliing along with the show as the VAs laugh at their own horrible acting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:10 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
And another thing that irritates me, and Funi is extremely guilty of doing this, is the 2 to 5 minute long advertisment for a series...and you CANNOT skip or fast-forward past it. You are STUCK with having to watch this until it ends. So, with any Funi disc I get, I put it in the player then go and do something else for 5 minutes or so.

Totally agree with this. One small point though. I have found on some of DVDs that do this, if you wait to long after the adverts, and the menu just stands there for a little while, it starts the disc all the way over! Nothing irritates me more than putting in a disc so it will cycle through the adverts, going and making a sandwich or something, then coming back and it has just switched back to the begining of the adverts(&promos) and you can't skip past them. Ugh.

Also shitty hubs have recently become a major irritation for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, this one was rather annoying: The "Director's Cut if episode 26" on My-Hime volume 7. It's exactly the same as the original episode 26 for the most part. I ended up watching the entire episode twice, just for a few seconds of extra fluff at the very end that didn't do anything for me. Makes me wonder why they included it in the first place.

LydiaDianne wrote:
I've never understood the point of putting in the Japanese trailer for a show...especially when it isn't translated so you have ZERO clue as to what the hell is being said.

I agree. Totally. Why do they even bother to put it on the DVD if they aren't going to subtitle it for us?

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
The Ergo Proxy "Bonus" disc. How many people need 1/4-length, 1/2-length, and full length versions of a trailer and a commercial for a series that they just purchased? And the first two "featurettes" looked more like promo spots than any insightful information. Then there were the creditless openings and an art gallery: things I mostly take for granted and ignore anyway in the standard "extras" section of my anime DVDs.

The roughly half-hour English staff interview was fairly interesting though. The lesser hymns of Soloman, eh?

Yes, the English staff interview was really the only thing worthwhile on that bonus disc. It was quite interesting indeed, albeit a bit lengthy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AegisX

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Fullmetal Alchemist Vol. 1 managed to enrage me within moments of putting it in the disc tray. Why? Those god forsaken previews that's why. I could care less about the latest Dragonball Z movie. Oh it features Brolly you say? I don't care! I spent at least two minutes jamming the scene skip, fast forward, and menu buttons before I finally gave up and went to make a sandwich. It was a tasty sandwich though.
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Except for the clean OP/ED and the occasional interview with the Japanese cast or staff, I think most extras or features are worthless. And ads before the menu are incredibly annoying (Newtype USA, anyone?) even if you are able to skip them.

Some of the most worthless are the manga previews and the art galleries. The manga previews are really difficult to navigate and are near impossible to read. The galleries are just a waste of space using artwork you can see anywhere.

I also have issues with the interviews with the English VAs. It's not that I don't want to hear what they have to say, but the interviewers ask the most pointless questions! Instead of talking about the topics I'm actually interested in they focus of the fluff questions. There are a few good ones out there but most aren't worth my time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3