• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
aye i was recommending Yakitate!! japan to a friend today and thats a bit off the beaten track in terms of content and stuff like yotsuba& is slice of life stuff too.

one of the great appeals of manga is how varied and accessible it is
Wrathful

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:00 am Reply with quote
D-Frag, one of the best discovery last year. I wonder what took me so long to find this one. Characters are awesome and the humour is top notch. Really reminds me of School Rumble in a good way. One of the funniest manga all around for me.
Jomei Jostar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:41 am Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Jomei Jostar wrote:
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Jomei Jostar I notice this is your first post so welcome to the Forum and enjoy your time here!

Berserk is a cracking series like you I ave been powering through the volumes recently.

My thoughts on my favourite manga can be found at the bottom of this page Very Happy

Thanks man! And I will check out "The Rule of Standing on Tiptoe" pretty soon! By the way, I honestly hope Berserk will continue after this incredibly long hiatus.. What do you think will happen?

I am only on volume 24ish so I still have a long way to go before I catch up with the current situation but in regards to its continuation Miura will continue the series once he has finished is mini series shown here Very Happy

Awesome!! Yeah, I'm actually quite close to you in Berserk, since I also didn't have time to read much manga this weekend, and I look forward to Miura's new chapter. By the way, I'm not going to get bored of manga for a long time, (Maybe not ever). I don't care how old I will be when I read manga, since it is something I sincerely enjoy!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:53 am Reply with quote
Finally caught up on Uchuu Kyoudai by reading vol.22. What makes this series great is that while the problems that arise may be fictional, the solutions (or possible solutions) as well as the problems themselves are so believable. It's obvious that Koyama sensei has done his homework.

Work finally got in vol.9 of Kuragehime (which I had to skip before) so I'm reading that now. After that I'm thinking of buying the Noragami manga because the anime series is so freakin' amazing.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Went ahead and bought Noragami vols. 1-2, 9-10, the latter because they were limited editions and I didn't want them to run out though that's probably not likely with the anime now running. Anyway, finished up the first volume yesterday and there were some differences but overall it's pretty much the same. Absolutely loved it and will probably go and buy a few more volumes so I can read them even though I'm going to be moving in less than two weeks and really don't need extra stuff to have to bring along. ^^;;
Pleinair

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
So many things are in the active reading list, but I did just find this:

(No matter what I cannot get it to stay un-flipped upon uploading, grrrrrrrr!)
Something I haven't seen before in person. I know it isn't complete, but it's still cool to have!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Finished reading the last volume of Kaichou wa Maid Sama!. Picked up my copy late because I had to get it in Akihabara. Got to participate in Fujiwara sensei's signing event! =D Only 120 people total were able to take part. Sensei is so awesome. X3

Currently working on Noragami vol.2 and just bought vols. 3-5 yesterday.
Anudevil13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:14 am Reply with quote
Reading too much at moment

Naruto
Bleach
One Piece
Faiirytail
Beelzebub (sad its gonna end soon)
Tower of God
The Gamer
The God of Highschool
Noblesse
The Breaker:New Waves
Hajime no Ippo
King Golf
New Prince of Tennis
Kuroko no Basuke
Girls of the Wild
Real
Shokugeki no soma
Nobunaga no Chef
Yowamoshi Pedal
Ansatsu Kyoushitsu
Area no Kishi
Drifters
Fate Stay night
Fate Stay Zero
HxH
Highschool of the dead
Highschool DxD
Initial D
The world only god knows
King of hell
Nozomi x kimio
Pandora Hearts
Seikrei
Sun Ken rock

and few more here and there Shocked
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:23 am Reply with quote
@Anudevil - Read the thread title again. "What are you reading now? Why?" It's against the rules of this forum to just list things. Why are you reading those things? What do you like about them?

As for me, I finally read NG Life volume 1 yesterday. Bought from Rightstuf for the mere sum of $25 thanks to classicalzawa (but international shipping makes me sad Sad ) Goodness me it's hilarious. I really like that there's loads of people all been reincarnated together, and the gender switch just makes it extra funny. I also can't tell who's going to end up with who, which is a nice change.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:54 am Reply with quote
Finished reading vol.3 of Noragami. SO. GOOD. Wow I can't wait to see this animated! It's nice to see that spoiler[Yukine will learn his lesson.]
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
st_owly is correct, Anudevil13. Just posting a list like that without commentary is not permitted by forum rules.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:41 am Reply with quote
Caught up to the latest volume of Noragami, vol.10. SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!! Nearly cried reading vol.7. Yatoooooooo ;________; (<-- tears of joy) Now I'm just bummed that I have to wait until July to read more. This is easily one of the best series I've read in a while. I never hated Yukine, but he spoiler[gets way better after Yato's blight incident.] Hiyori's pretty cool too and I absolutely love Yato. Great character. I hope there'll be a second season of the anime and they animate the Bishamon arc.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I got the final volume of Fushigi Yugi Genbu Kaiden yesterday and finished reading it today.

Wow just wow. I don't want to spoil it to those who haven't read the 12th volume but seriously the ending was pitch perfect. The last couple of pages were truly brilliant. So poetic and poignantly written. It felt as if Watase has written a piece of elegy. The way she had handled spoiler[Takiko's death] as well as Uruki & her legacy flows perfectly. Couldn't have a better ending. I just realized that Genbu's arc is literally like a legend, a story that has been told with each passing of generation. Truly magnificent.

My minor complain though was it felt a bit rush in some department but overall it was worth the wait. After 10 years in the making, Watase has made yet another masterpiece.

I shed tears in the end not because the story was tragic but because of how beautiful and truly meaningful it was.

And no it wasn't as bittersweet of an ending as we all thought it would be nor a happy ending. It's more of a commemoration and celebration of life.

PS: I think it would have much more of an impact if the series was read in a continuous manner as its quite tragic on some parts.

But overall worthy as a prequel even better than the original. I love the epilogue-esque ending. The Priesstess of Genbu's final wish was brilliant and heartwarming.

I love Yuu Watase for plenty of reasons and the ending of Genbu Kaiden reminds me of why. She's just amazing and one gifted storyteller.

Fushigi Genbu Kaiden is definitely one of her best, if not the best series.

I can't wait to read Byakko's arc. I seriously think she'll make it happen. As mentioned in her side comment, "she can't die until she finish every arc." Funny lady..

I still can't get over about the last page, so powerful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
- The Flowers of Evil Vol. 1-7:

I didn’t know what to expect with this one. I dreaded reading this title because of its themes of dominance and the potential bullying aspect.

I forged on, and found myself enthralled by its complexity and madness. Its cast of broken characters and their forays into perversion resonated with me: I like most people have their fair share of perverted thoughts and actions, but they take it to an extreme most people would never dare to do.

The first two volumes were a little difficult to get through, but I soon found myself devouring the next five. I didn’t want to put it down. Not to mention the events leading up to the festival and its climax are something to behold.

Soon enough, things quieted down. But for how long?...

God I can’t get enough of this series.

- Fairy Tail Vol. 1-7:

I went into Fairy Tail expecting something similar to Rave Master. While similar, it also feels a little different.

There seems to be some grand plot lurking in the background, but for now I’m fine with these “missions of the moment” mini-arcs. Things did take a bit of a serious turn in the last couple of books I read, though.

- Are You Alice? Vol. 1-2:

More like Yet Another Alice, but I don’t really know what to make of this one. The cast is predominantly male, which makes me think “here’s another fujoshi-targeted title” yet it’s still interesting enough for me to keep reading.

- Arisa Vol. 11:

Can’t wait to read the last volume, if only so that I can finally finish this series for good. I am looking forward to seeing what hackneyed tactic the King’s going to conduct to hurt people this time around.

- One Piece Vol. 68:

I attempted reading this volume when I was very tired. I don’t really remember much of what happened other than the guy regaining control of the kids.

I may need to re-read this one.

- Blood Lad Omnibus Vol. 1-3 (Vol. 1-6):

I wasn’t expecting to see anime otaku references in this series. Some are decent, others are a little dry. At the same time, I wish this title never took a serious turn. I much prefer it as a comedy and the serious aspects feel stilted. It took a while for me to warm up to this one.

- Naruto Vol. 62-63:

The story has really ramped up recently, with more twists and major discoveries unveiled in short order. It’s been great to read as of late.

- La Corda D’Oro Vol. 4:

The antagonization of Azuma feels very forced, coming out of nowhere. It’s not sitting well with me right now.

Right now, the series feels very average, despite the premise. Nothing about it stands out for me.

- Gunslinger Girl Vol. 15 [END]:

The destructive melody that is this final arc ends not with a crash, but with heavy yet gentle ease. Events still carry a lot of weight, but their resolutions feel subdued.

One analogy to use would be the end of a rollercoaster: some ease you back into the starting station and while you head towards the end, you think about what you experienced. Throughout the last two volumes I found myself going “wow”, wondering what would possibly happen next.

Many thanks to Seven Seas for finishing this great series.

- Bunny Drop Vol. 9:

And so we finally reach the end. I don’t mind how things turned out, yet I do prefer the earlier chapters of Daikichi raising a little girl. It had more charm.

Looking forward to the side-stories in the last book!

- The Twin Knights:

This story went in a strange direction halfway through. It’s as if Tezuka didn’t know what to do to string the plot along. It also felt as if our heroes from Princess Knight didn’t know how to fend for themselves now that they are grown up and no longer the main characters.

In spite of that, it was a treat to return to this world. It has the air of a fairy tale to it that appeals to me.

- Pokemon Adventures: Diamond and Pearl Platinum Vol. 9 (Pokemon Adventures Vol. 38):

The Platinum storyline starts! I’m glad that a couple of minor characters who suffered a terrible fate are in fact not forgotten, and a quest to save them has begun.

The end of the Diamond/Pearl storyline is also in this book, which I enjoyed greatly.

- Rosario + Vampire Season II Vol. 12:

I didn’t know until recently that Rosario+Vampire ended this month. With that, I hold more interest. While the current situation - and ensuing slugfest - feels climactic, it didn’t hold much weight in my mind.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Goong 1-3
I got these at a used bookstore because I'd heard good things about it. What can I say? I want MORE! NOW!I'm glad Yen is going to finish the series, even if it won't be until 2015, but it's damn addictive. I thought the motive of marrying each other, from the guy's perspective, was to spoiler[save the girl he actually likes from the life of a princess.] It also seems that Yul is going to be doing something scheming-like (him and his mother), and I am eager to see how that turns out. Because Yul was the crown prince, but then his father died and the crown prince got passed to Shin. I am a bit annoyed that Chae-Yeong has spoiler[fallen for Shin], but even she admits that it's because she feels a need to, more than spoiler[actually being attracted to a jerk]
One thing I've noticed is that, I dunno if it's all manhwa in general or just her, but their silly faces are much much different from manga. Curious if anyone knows why, I don't honestly read too much manhwa.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 112 of 154