• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Has Not Recorded a Dub for Dragon Ball Z Kai's Buu Saga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Dragon Ball Z Kai voice actors Kyle Herbert and Sean Schemmel reported in April of 2013 that they were recording for the Buu saga, but the Buu saga will not air in Japan until this April 6. The Japanese cast recorded new episodes in November 2012, after the series' original run in Japan in March 2011.

So the new episodes were ready in 2012, nothing was done in 2013 {?} and now it's 2014 and the key date is "April". So ... simulcast dub then? Otherwise, the Japanese company pulled rank in order to get their version aired first. Still it's been about three years just to get the last bit done {which doesn't explain what happened in 2013} and I'm curious how much won't be cut. The first decision {right, too} was "all of it".

Though I love how this article contradicts itself by saying that Kai episodes shouldn't be available for dubbing because it hasn't aired yet {I guess the "duh" had to be supplied by the reader} but the Japanese versions may have been finished more than a year ago.

Believable: Funimation saying "Gimme"
Absurd: Funimation saying "We'll wait and see how it turns out. Strictly hands off, that's us."
sainta

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
I'll perpetually fail to grasp why it is Funimation releases this story over and over again.

That's easy to answer. Check this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoYWdHe4tQ4
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
NDAs are so silly. If the parties involved say "I don't know" or don't comment at all, it's a pretty obvious yes, but when they say "no," then it's usually "no." They're so... transparently pointless?

I wouldn't worry about a dub not coming out. Seriously. It'd be funny if it never materialized, I suppose.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Anything after the Cell Games was crap anyway, so I don't particularly care if gets a dub, or doesn't get released at all for that matter, since I'm done collecting the show anyway.
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
rootsofjustice wrote:
FUNimation's corporate side has lost a ton of credibility since Charlene Ingraham left the company and I have in the past called them on their lack of credibility several times.

Glad to know I'm not alone in thinking this...

I was very disappointed with how Funimation handled a lot extras for their releases in 2013 such as the Fairy Tail Movie OVA and High School DxD Shorts not being dubbed.

2012 (when Charlene was still with Funimation) had all these extras dubbed:

Princess Jellyfish Shorts, Freezing Shorts, Panty & Stocking Shorts

And as soon as Charlene joins VIZ she continues her excellent work and said upfront at a panel that the Accel World Shorts would be dubbed.

Even Sentai Filmworks actually put in some effort and ensured the Queen's Blade: Rebellion Shorts were dubbed.

I guess Charlene's successor at Funimation isn't as passionate or just sucks at the job of being a brand manager; who should be giving titles the best treatment possible and not just coasting by with minimal effort...

Kruszer wrote:
Anything after the Cell Games was crap anyway, so I don't particularly care if gets a dub, or doesn't get released at all for that matter, since I'm done collecting the show anyway.

There are tons of stuff I like about the Buu saga, I never understood the hate (though Cell was a better villain). Maybe because the anime was bloated with filler and dragged out? Hopefully Kai's pacing makes it more enjoyable like the manga
the-antihero

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm not worried. It WILL definitely get a dub eventually. Until then, I have a ton of dubbed anime to enjoy, both old and new.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
FrameFreeze100 wrote:
rootsofjustice wrote:
FUNimation's corporate side has lost a ton of credibility since Charlene Ingraham left the company and I have in the past called them on their lack of credibility several times.

There are tons of stuff I like about the Buu saga, I never understood the hate (though Cell was a better villain). Maybe because the anime was bloated with filler and dragged out? Hopefully Kai's pacing makes it more enjoyable like the manga

While I haven't seen the Kai cut, I remember the original cut airing on Cartoon Network--
There is something that will crush the will and spirit of ANY well-meaning anime fan, even a DBZ fan, or for that matter, a Fairy Tail/One Piece goofy-fight-serial fan. Three seasons on one arc, and the words "The Neverending Story" will take on a new meaning Shocked

And while I don't blame Funi on losing their resolve either, I literally think it was the original Buu Saga that was the camel's-straw that infamously turned Cartoon Network against "teh geek" anime to begin with. Like Hanna-Barbera reruns, they felt in prison having to show the darn thing.
Every time the Warner/CN potheads come out to make fan-geek jokes about cable anime titles, just wait for the DBZ jokes to start...
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
It's possible FUNi has nothing to do with the dub that's been recorded. It's possible Okatron 5000 could have been contracted by another company like Toei or Saban.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
It's pretty obvious that they are lying.

It's important to note that nothing official has been announced for the dub and the comments by Sean Schemmel & Kyle Herbert were only LEAKS. And that this statement was just a reply from a fan email by Chris Sabat.

That's why Herbert's tweet was eventually deleted, because he leaked something he wasn't supposed to.

It's also important to note that Chris Sabat said that Sean Schemmel was wrong in a humorous manner.

There has yet to be ANY official press releases or anouncements neither confirming or denying the english dub for Dragon Ball Kai
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
It's just the usual "We can't say 'yes' until we're legally allowed to do so" corporate-speak. Nothing to see here.
JEFFMAN219

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
I'll perpetually fail to grasp why it is Funimation releases this story over and over again.

Why do you care? Its not like you're going to buy DBZ kai buu saga.
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
It's just the usual "We can't say 'yes' until we're legally allowed to do so" corporate-speak. Nothing to see here.

In all honesty they should have just shut their mouths or responded with "no comment" and waited until they were allowed to announce it instead of lying.

Last edited by rootsofjustice on Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:11 pm Reply with quote
rootsofjustice wrote:
Sean Schemmel, Kyle Hebert, Laura Bailey, Kara Edwards, even Chris Sabat a year ago confirmed English language recording work has been done for the DBZ Kai Buu arc. Three scenarios are possible from this information:

a) The actors listed above are full of shit.
b) FUNimation is full of shit.
c) A dub is being produced, but FUNimation is not involved.

I'm inclined to believe option b. FUNimation has lied out their ass about the Dragonball franchise before, both about the original Dragonball and Dragonball Z Kai. FUNimation's corporate side has lost a ton of credibility since Charlene Ingraham left the company and I have in the past called them on their lack of credibility several times. I've also had a chance to meet several of the actors in question, I don't think they'd lie about something like this. I'm calling bullshit on this.

That being said if option c is the case, EVERYBODY PANIC!

OH PLEASE! That is not gonna happen. there is no way funi gonna give their main cash cow to another company.

it'll be like nintendo giving the broadcast license of pokemon to a proper anime company and let it be handled by a proper dub studio WITH the original japaneese scripts & with official subtitles.

in other words, IT'S NOT A SNOWBALL'S CHANCE IN HELL FOR ANY OF THOSE SCENARIOS TO EVER HAPPEN!

I would have to say its either the VAs above was exaggerating somewhat to prevent a backlash (a) or the CEO's of Funi is doing their usual BS scenario and giving the VAs false info, but that is a further farfetched stretch of a scenario.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:26 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
I would have to say its either the VAs above was exaggerating somewhat to prevent a backlash (a)...

No way. Not when Madman Entertainment have also stated that a dub was already being made. Plus why would not one but several VAs lie to fans and say that they'd already recorded their lines? Why would the VAs and not FUNimation worry about a backlash? It makes no sense . . . unless they aren't lying and all of them are telling the truth.

jr0904 wrote:
...or the CEO's of Funi is doing their usual BS scenario and giving the VAs false info, but that is a further farfetched stretch of a scenario.

FUNimation isn't giving the VAs false info, because that would be impossible given that they've already recorded their lines. Instead FUNi is lying to fans, i.e. us.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
rootsofjustice wrote:
Sean Schemmel, Kyle Hebert, Laura Bailey, Kara Edwards, even Chris Sabat a year ago confirmed English language recording work has been done for the DBZ Kai Buu arc. Three scenarios are possible from this information:

a) The actors listed above are full of shit.
b) FUNimation is full of shit.
c) A dub is being produced, but FUNimation is not involved.

I'm inclined to believe option b. FUNimation has lied out their ass about the Dragonball franchise before, both about the original Dragonball and Dragonball Z Kai. FUNimation's corporate side has lost a ton of credibility since Charlene Ingraham left the company and I have in the past called them on their lack of credibility several times. I've also had a chance to meet several of the actors in question, I don't think they'd lie about something like this. I'm calling bullshit on this.

That being said if option c is the case, EVERYBODY PANIC!

OH PLEASE! That is not gonna happen. there is no way funi gonna give their main cash cow to another company.

it'll be like nintendo giving the broadcast license of pokemon to a proper anime company and let it be handled by a proper dub studio WITH the original japaneese scripts & with official subtitles.

in other words, IT'S NOT A SNOWBALL'S CHANCE IN HELL FOR ANY OF THOSE SCENARIOS TO EVER HAPPEN!

I would have to say its either the VAs above was exaggerating somewhat to prevent a backlash (a) or the CEO's of Funi is doing their usual BS scenario and giving the VAs false info, but that is a further farfetched stretch of a scenario.

If another company is handling the dub, it would probably be someone already involved in the franchise. It's possible Toei themselves had it done (since DBZ Kai was recorded at Okatron 5000, it's possible for the same voice actors to be involved, but not FUNi themselves). FUNi would not have to "give it" to another company for that to happen. It's also possible for Toei to be directly working with Saban for it (Saban runs Vortexx, which broadcasts DBZ Kai). Again, this would not be a case of FUNi "giving" anything to anyone. They would still probably get the home video license, they're just not involved with the dub. That scenario has happened before (Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid, Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3