• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-05-04]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMAN2501

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Call me the strange guy in the room, but I have never seen any manga in libraries under young adult or otherwise. My local library is not that big so I never expected them to have it, but do a lot of libraries carry it now or is it just in a few?
10円

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl wrote:
By "welcome to the club," are you saying that most anime/manga fans have some sort of mental health issue?

They very well might, but that's not actually what I was referring to. Rather, I happen have a bit of OCD myself whereby I wash my hands more regularly than normal and don't let other people touch my keyboard and mouse at work. It probably sounds very strange, but I can feel their skin oils if they touch my stuff and it feels really nasty to me. Most of the time this doesn't really impact me that much, but one major exception are hotel television remotes. Those things are so nasty that I can't use them without putting the ice bucket bag around them. Okay, I should probably stop talking about this. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Quote:
Really, though...when I am looking over multiple copies of the same title and volume number, I hope that no one around me is noticing and thinking, What on Earth is that woman doing?!

I wouldn't worry about it; I'm actually pretty sure most buyers try to get the best copy out of the bunch. Not my mom though, she will just pick up whichever item she first sees and walk off to go buy it without first making sure there's no better version. This isn't just specific to books but just about anything short of a vehicle-sized purchase. I'm usually pretty careful with what I pick up, but there was this one time when I bought a supposedly brand new and unopened flat panel television at Costco. I gave the box a quick look over then placed it in my cart. It wasn't until I got home that I realized something was up. First I noticed that the batteries were already in the remote (gasp!). Then when I went to pull the television out of the box I could feel... Other people's oils! Eew! So I shoved that thing right back in the box and took it back.

Richard J. wrote:
I do that will everything I buy, from manga to mangos.

Well now, what is the accepted process for buying a quality mango anyway?
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:13 pm Reply with quote
zetsuie wrote:
i have no idea why somebody would want to be witha two-dimensional partner

I believe this might be quite informative:

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Steroid

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
The point of a bookstore is to sell you a book so that you may read it. Period. If you read a book without buying it, you are, in essence, stealing it. No, you aren't stealing the physical book, but as was pointed out by someone else, you internalized the story from the book without paying for it. The only thing not taking the actual book prevents is re-reading it, assuming you don't go back to the bookstore to reread it.

That's your point of a bookstore. Others might not be so limited.

As to the rest, and I think it speaks to la_contessa's point as well, I don't get why any attained utility must be accompanied by an offsetting payment. Most of the time, the technology requires it. Sometimes, though, it doesn't. The idea that we have to build an ethical code around never getting something for nothing, instead of trying to work the science to make it possible, that idea I don't get.

Quote:
I don't know the the economics of paying translators, but I could easily see if the more popular the translation of a property is, the more a translator of that property is apt to get. In that case, even things like translation would be a variable costs. And even if it were, and you were "only" stealing the variable costs, it's still stealing.

Actually, what I'm saying is that I'm only taking the fixed costs. Which I would be willing to pay a fixed price for. And I'm not sure why a popular product would warrant paying more for translation. I would think it would be a lot easier to hire a translator for, say, Naruto, than for some obscure manga. The prestige alone should lower that rate.

Quote:
In any case, if you don't pay, you don't pay for the translation services of the publisher, so you're still not paying for it. This is why your argument doesn't make any sense. What does it matter if it's a "fixed" cost or a "variable" cost. You're still not paying for it. If ultimately no one buys the book, then the publisher isn't going to care very much whether they're losing "fixed" costs or losing "only" variable costs. They're still losing.

Not losing. Just not gaining. "He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me." -Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
I don't even see the point of your arguing that it's up to Borders if they want to allow people reading books in the store, and if makes them more money to have "manga cows." How can it even theoretically get them more money to have a "manga cow" if by definition they are people who read the manga but not pay for them? I think you can rest assured that Borders - or any bookstore for that matter - would prefer that such actions not take place.

I'll throw out some ideas: manga cows will go to the competitor if we stop them. Manga cows will take the manga to the cafe and buy coffee and biscotti. Letting them graze while their parents shop will keep them from annoying other customers. Manga cows will pass by word-of-mouth how nice the shop is to non-cows.

Quote:
And then you finish up with the kicker - "If it's the reading that's the point of benefit, shouldn't we have to pay every time we read our manga?" You better watch out for what you wish for, because the direction digital intellectual property management is headed, that may be exactly what happens.

But I don't wish for it. But if some manga producer says so, I'm gonna throw it in their faces, "See this manga? I own it! I'm going to read it a hundred times and every time I'm going to laugh at how I'm not paying, and revel in your suffering."
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Also Im getting a little sick of some of these kinda obnoxious responses. So yeah, Im done.

I really really liked the rant and I find this comment a little funny considering you must have read it. I don't think anyone was rude or obnoxious. I think they just didn't agree with you. There's a big difference. And this is coming from someone who sort of did agree with you. People always think everyones out to get them.

Take note of the following: The word some. The word kinda. As in most of the responses have been perfectly civil and none of em have been THAT bad. I found Zacs comments a little rude. I guess that was probly the main one so okay fair enough, I shoulda said response (not plural).

Steroid: Give it up dude. I totally agree with you here, but take it from me who's tried to argue this point on 3 different occasions. Youre just gonna end up going in circles.
rrrseo

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:29 am Reply with quote
This is not related, sorry.

Is the Hey, Answerman! banner for May 4 2007, an actual anime? If so, can someone tell me the title?

It looks cool, thanks
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:30 am Reply with quote
rrrseo wrote:
This is not related, sorry.

Is the Hey, Answerman! banner for May 4 2007, an actual anime? If so, can someone tell me the title?

It looks cool, thanks

Actually, I believe that it is related because it is just as much a part of the Answerman column as the questions, answers, rants, flakes, and Super Duper Special Answerman Animal Pictures are. People love to comment on and ask about the banners.

However, the truth is that someone already asked a question very similar to yours in this thread, and they were kindly provided with an answer. So, the answer is out there for those who are curious enough to search for it. But since it appears that you just recently registered, I will bestow you with an answer as a welcoming gift: it is, indeed, an actual anime. It is a TV series called Claymore and it is currently being shown in Japan. It is based on a manga that is being released in English in the U.S. May you use this information wisely.
zetsuie

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:44 am Reply with quote
zac wrote:

Why are you so caught up on the concept of respect? Respect is something that's earned; you're not owed it simply for existing and having opinions.

Personally i always thought that the basic idea of humanity was to respect all living beings which, imo sounds like a good idea
zac wrote:

I don't disrespect people based on their opinions, but if someone is a douchebag who never pays for anything and freeloads off of everyone all the time, no, they don't have my respect. I don't really care what their excuse is. And that's my choice.
my question is why do they need an excuse
i mean you don't sound like a very good friend considering you'd call someone a douchebag without even hearing them out

plus who cares if its used i mean has that ever stopped someone from sleeping in a hotel room which probably has substances that will never ever be found in a bookstore
Yoda117

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:27 am Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
I

On the rant: I don't want the mainstream to accept anime fans or desist from making fun of them. I want the mainstream to fear us. I want them to consider anime fans as they do college professors or scientists or high-culture mavens. I want them to defer to our opinions when their own are inadequate. I want the non-fan to feel humble in the presence of the fan.

Well you are correct in that many in mainstream society do fear anime fans,

But mainly that's due to the tendency of so many of them to ignore their own personal hygiene...

Keep the dream alive though Smile
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
zetsuie wrote:
i mean you don't sound like a very good friend considering you'd call someone a douchebag without even hearing them out

plus who cares if its used i mean has that ever stopped someone from sleeping in a hotel room which probably has substances that will never ever be found in a bookstore

Welp thanks for judging me and making assumptions about me as a person based on one comment on the internet.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
Calculusman wrote:
The point of a bookstore is to sell you a book so that you may read it. Period. If you read a book without buying it, you are, in essence, stealing it. No, you aren't stealing the physical book, but as was pointed out by someone else, you internalized the story from the book without paying for it. The only thing not taking the actual book prevents is re-reading it, assuming you don't go back to the bookstore to reread it.

That's your point of a bookstore. Others might not be so limited.

As to the rest, and I think it speaks to la_contessa's point as well, I don't get why any attained utility must be accompanied by an offsetting payment. Most of the time, the technology requires it. Sometimes, though, it doesn't. The idea that we have to build an ethical code around never getting something for nothing, instead of trying to work the science to make it possible, that idea I don't get.

The point of a bookstore is to sell you a book. I don't see how this point is even debatable. It's not a library. It's not your friend's bookshelf. It's a bookstore. They sell books so that you may take them home and read them.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say in 2nd paragraph. No, an attained utility doesn't HAVE to be accompanied by an offsetting payment in all cases. However, in the case of the bookstore, if you gain the said utility without paying for the book, then you're ripping off the bookstore since, as I said, the point of the bookstore is for you to buy the book and then gain the utility.

Steroid wrote:

Quote:
I don't know the the economics of paying translators, but I could easily see if the more popular the translation of a property is, the more a translator of that property is apt to get. In that case, even things like translation would be a variable costs. And even if it were, and you were "only" stealing the variable costs, it's still stealing.

Actually, what I'm saying is that I'm only taking the fixed costs. Which I would be willing to pay a fixed price for. And I'm not sure why a popular product would warrant paying more for translation. I would think it would be a lot easier to hire a translator for, say, Naruto, than for some obscure manga. The prestige alone should lower that rate.

In a purely economic sense, there is no reason why anyone would want to translate Naurto more than any other series if they're not going to get paid more for it. On the other hand, the prestige of being able to translate such a series may very well bring a demand of a higher pay to do that work for the very reason that it's well known.

Steroid wrote:

Quote:
In any case, if you don't pay, you don't pay for the translation services of the publisher, so you're still not paying for it. This is why your argument doesn't make any sense. What does it matter if it's a "fixed" cost or a "variable" cost. You're still not paying for it. If ultimately no one buys the book, then the publisher isn't going to care very much whether they're losing "fixed" costs or losing "only" variable costs. They're still losing.

Not losing. Just not gaining. "He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me." -Thomas Jefferson

If a publisher prints books that don't sell, they are losing money, and that loss is magnified even more when there are potential buyers who don't buy because they just stand and read them in the store.

As far as the quote - I don't think it's saying what you think it's saying. He's basically saying that If you learn from me, that doesn't mean I get dumber. it doesn't mean that it's automatically a service for which one shouldn't have to pay for. If that was the case, college would be free.

Steroid wrote:

Quote:
I don't even see the point of your arguing that it's up to Borders if they want to allow people reading books in the store, and if makes them more money to have "manga cows." How can it even theoretically get them more money to have a "manga cow" if by definition they are people who read the manga but not pay for them? I think you can rest assured that Borders - or any bookstore for that matter - would prefer that such actions not take place.

I'll throw out some ideas: manga cows will go to the competitor if we stop them. Manga cows will take the manga to the cafe and buy coffee and biscotti. Letting them graze while their parents shop will keep them from annoying other customers. Manga cows will pass by word-of-mouth how nice the shop is to non-cows.

What does it matter if they go to your competitor if they don't buy it in the first place? And if someone is cheap enough that they won't buy the book, are they really going to bother going and getting a latte while they read the book they're too cheap to buy?

And when did "coffee and biscotti" or even parents become a part of this conversation? And it's not the bookstore's concern to allow people to "graze" so they don't bother other customers, that'd be the parent's job.

So, it's OK if I sneak into a Major League Baseball game, just as long as I guy pizza and a drink from the concession stand while I watch it?

And again, what good is word of mouth from one manga cow to another if they don't buy anything. If they don't buy anything, then they don't buy anything. The store still doesn't gain anything other than more people sitting there reading books and not buying them and getting in people's ways. In a sense, it would actually hurt the store more because it would increase their opportunity cost.

Steroid wrote:

Quote:
And then you finish up with the kicker - "If it's the reading that's the point of benefit, shouldn't we have to pay every time we read our manga?" You better watch out for what you wish for, because the direction digital intellectual property management is headed, that may be exactly what happens.

But I don't wish for it. But if some manga producer says so, I'm gonna throw it in their faces, "See this manga? I own it! I'm going to read it a hundred times and every time I'm going to laugh at how I'm not paying, and revel in your suffering."

So basically you're saying that it's your prerogative to decide whether you're actually going to pay for something or not? How nice. You're basically saying it's your right to steal something if you want to.

And you know, one reason why people may very well end up going to more archaic pricing schemes is for the very reason that people are consuming things but not paying for them, so to make up for that, they'll just create even more archaic pricing schemes to get that money back.
Kouji

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:40 pm Reply with quote
To settle this whole debate about manga cows that shouldn't be an issue in the first place: Would you go to Walmart, pick up a DVD from the shelf, unwrap the plastic wrapping, pop the DVD into a DVD player, and just sit there in the middle of the aisle watching DVDs in the middle of a Walmart store all day long without paying for a single one, then put it back on the shelf unwrapped and with scratches all over the disc? I would certainly hope not so what makes you think that the same should apply to manga?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
To settle this whole debate about manga cows that shouldn't be an issue in the first place: Would you go to Walmart, pick up a DVD from the shelf, unwrap the plastic wrapping, pop the DVD into a DVD player, and just sit there in the middle of the aisle watching DVDs in the middle of a Walmart store all day long without paying for a single one, then put it back on the shelf unwrapped and with scratches all over the disc? I would certainly hope not so what makes you think that the same should apply to manga?

Not to mention that Walmart would throw your ass OUT!
Jifty

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Yay, I now have teo rants under my belt! Razz

I really did not expect this long conversation to be spawned from the rant, but I'm glad to see it. Very interesting discussion!

britannicamoore wrote:
I don't know if you're the same person I talked to before when you mentioned writing this rant and if you are good job.

Heheh, I try. Very Happy
zetsuie

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
zetsuie wrote:

Welp thanks for judging me and making assumptions about me as a person based on one comment on the internet.
well now i feel bad
but still i wasnt judging i just formed an opinion on what you posted
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 14