• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Costume Changes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Steelbuck wrote:
transformation was completely cut out of the American version and took away the sense of curiosity and then horror that you felt when you began to to fight her.

This is why i felt so privileged when playing dante's inferno, lust's stage and form was done to perfection. I can't think of any other examples where disturbing designs of this level have actually made it in a video game.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
StormVanguard wrote:
So i guess in the end it's not okay, because what they really should be doing is completely redesigning the outfit to make there character still stand out.

You said it before me. I'm really conscious about "fashion" in just about everything I see, and especially in fantasy, where the stuff is designed to look nice rather than be functional. If they replaced the outfits with something that still looked nice, but held up to Western "standards" of sexual content for a game of this sort, I would be more interested in it. As it is, though, the changes they made look... awkward.

I have the game in Japanese and don't plan on buying it in English, but still, I wonder how, if at all, this will affect the localization and the dissension between how Western and Japanese fans portray the characters.
king 47

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

I always find it incredibly hypocritical that we live in a time where critics and journalists are trying to push the whole 'games are art' mentality by comparing them to film, books, and television, yet have absolutely zero problem supporting or being indifferent to video games being censored or altered. At this stage, I would say video games are not art if it is that acceptable to alter them. Or even for someone like Jason Schreier to be so unprofessional and insulting to creators whom he disagrees with. Video games certainly have a long way to go before they can be compared to books and film. The community can not preach about wanting video games to be taken seriously on one hand while insulting and trying to change the games they disagree with with the other.

You do know that there are movies that are changed when they are released internationally? And you know there are people involved in the production of books called editors?

TarsTarkas wrote:
The people that would buy that game, would not want to have it censored. Those that would be offended by that game, are not the ones who are going to be buying it.

So it is political correctness. They are doing their market no favors by censoring it.

No, that's very wrong. The people who buy the game don't give an F. They actually would rather not have almost naked little girls. They don't care if there exists, or ever existed, a form of the game that's different than theirs. The only people who care are creeps, weirdos, and people who are absolutely against censorship. Those people who don't want that make a very little portion of the likely consumers. None of the game sites that I've visited had any similar reaction to the Bravely Default alteration, not censorship, that the anime sites had.

Levitz9 wrote:
Square Enix recognized that the U.S. has different social mores concerning sexualized designs than Japan, and reacted accordingly, and people don't seem to get that.

Nintendo is publishing BD in NA and PAL, so this could be from Ninty not SE.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:05 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
How many years has it been since Xenosaga Ep. III came out? I ask because bringing up the removal of the blood from that one scene still elicits blinding, searing rage. I should probably get over it at some point.

true but no editing was more egregious than those chopped upped edits for the KOF series. especially when it came to mai's " assets "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote
pent234 wrote:
Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but I take more issue with the fact that Ringabel's costume has been removed than anything else. Sure, I tend to fall more on the "all censorship is wrong" side of the camp and thus would prefer that it all be left alone, but slight editing of costumes is rather minuscule compared to the complete excision of a costume. They could just as easily have lengthened his speedo and turned it into a pair of swim shorts, yet they chose to get rid of it altogether. It's sexist at the very least, homophobic at worst.

Easy solution for Ringabel, yet they chose to remove it completely. Favoring one type of fan service than the other. I also have issue with Monster Monpiece. Saw many of the overall cards in the game, and find some of those more troublesome than some of the ones that got censored. Not really consistent censoring to me and just seems like there are other issues at play that they aren't telling, IMO.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
Dmysta3000 wrote:
Monster Monpiece Censorship
Not that I was gonna get this in the first place, but if your are gonna cut out a good 10% of the game's content when the game's main selling point is its otaku fanservice, you'd be better off just not localizing the game at all.

Yes, exactly this. Its purpose are those sexy cards, and it makes no qualms about being an otaku game at all, AND it's digital distribution only, AND there was absolutely NO nudity whatsoever (forbidden in Japan for any console game), AND it's still rated-M and age gated.

Here's what folks are missing out:
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2014/01/22/strongly-sexual-monpiece-cards-banned/
http://chan.sankakucomplex.com/?tags=genkai_tokki_monster_monpiece

If Senran Kagura can make it over completely in tact (and rated T to boot), I don't see what they were thinking here with something just as tame.

However, going back to the point of censorship, people who claim they don't mind or are in favor of it whenever it suites their sensibilities or subjective opinions, strike me as also the kind of unprincipled person who would be the first to vote away your freedom based on their likes and dislikes.

If people can't stick to being principled over some as simple and inconsequential as this, when it comes to using real force over something they find more offensive, then there's no hope to convince them otherwise.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
Steelbuck wrote:
Censorship: One piece of censorship that annoyed me personally was the American version of "Onimusha".

My Japanese girlfriend brought a Japanese Playstation 2 for me when she came to visit in 2001. One of the games was Onimusha. Great game that included English language spoken, but not localized so certain things were a little harder to read because some was in Japanese.

I bought an American PS2 with the express purpose of experiencing the game in English and I find certain things had been censored, like the wasp ladies transformation. It got cut out. In the Japanese version, she squats on the floor in a loose robe, spreads her legs and the back end of a wasp comes out from between her legs like a massive erection or baby. and her breasts turn into armor or something. Erotic horror, Japanese style. The transformation was completely cut out of the American version and took away the sense of curiosity and then horror that you felt when you began to to fight her.

Well shit now I'm going to have to hunt down the Japanese version of the game. We are very lucky that rule of the rose or haunting ground was censored in anyway though. I'm a huge survival horror fan, I've always have been and to hear something horror related taken out of game just urks me to no end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:23 am Reply with quote
king 47 wrote:
Guile wrote:

I always find it incredibly hypocritical that we live in a time where critics and journalists are trying to push the whole 'games are art' mentality by comparing them to film, books, and television, yet have absolutely zero problem supporting or being indifferent to video games being censored or altered. At this stage, I would say video games are not art if it is that acceptable to alter them. Or even for someone like Jason Schreier to be so unprofessional and insulting to creators whom he disagrees with. Video games certainly have a long way to go before they can be compared to books and film. The community can not preach about wanting video games to be taken seriously on one hand while insulting and trying to change the games they disagree with with the other.

You do know that there are movies that are changed when they are released internationally? And you know there are people involved in the production of books called editors?

And you do know that Guile was referring to journalists that engage in this sort of coddling audiences from "offensive" material in works of art, not corporate entities that censor content based on differing regional standards with regards to morality? And don't think for a second that audiences were fine with that happening. To use an anime related example, look the swaths of titles released in Britain by Manga UK that had to go under the knife of the BBFC.

And the book example is just ignorant. The editing step that writers undergo is still part of the creative process, and can relate to anything regarding content, to editing down the length, to coherency of the plot, etc.

I suggest you understand how other creative industries work before drawing up such inaccurate analogies.

king 47 wrote:

TarsTarkas wrote:
The people that would buy that game, would not want to have it censored. Those that would be offended by that game, are not the ones who are going to be buying it.

So it is political correctness. They are doing their market no favors by censoring it.

No, that's very wrong. The people who buy the game don't give an F. They actually would rather not have almost naked little girls. They don't care if there exists, or ever existed, a form of the game that's different than theirs. The only people who care are creeps, weirdos, and people who are absolutely against censorship.

Holy generalizations Straw Man.

Maybe you're right. Even though I don't plan on buying this game, I guess since I hate censorship of this sort (or any sort) I must be off diddling little kids.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:08 am Reply with quote
Shocked

Good Lord, what's wrong with you? King copy writing various words? Why? It's freedom of speech and...I don't know, it's downright ridiculous. Yeah, Candy Crush is evil.

As for Bravely Default's censored costumes, I like them a lot more over the original ones.
UltimateEye

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:39 am Reply with quote
The author of this column really, really hates anything the least bit ecchi, loli, or moe, doesn't he? This Bravely Default business makes me wonder why he even cares; I don't feel one way or the other, but it can't be that gross, can it? Calling everyone who likes the uncensored version of the game 'creeps' sounds unfair. Then again, it seems like every time a new issue of The X Button comes out, the author makes a comedic complaint about something subjectively offensive or whatever. Just an observation.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:17 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Shocked

Good Lord, what's wrong with you? King copy writing various words? Why? It's freedom of speech and...I don't know, it's downright ridiculous. Yeah, Candy Crush is evil.

King.com is trying to trademark certain words, not copyright them. Different laws apply.
Stealth00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:38 am Reply with quote
ActionJacksin wrote:

And the book example is just ignorant. The editing step that writers undergo is still part of the creative process, and can relate to anything regarding content, to editing down the length, to coherency of the plot, etc.

I suggest you understand how other creative industries work before drawing up such inaccurate analogies.

The point is that an author can have their original vision changed by an editor/publisher before it is released. Is it really that different a situation to a game having some changes before the English version is released? Nevermind that the localization process is a creative process due to translation not being an exact science.

It's not like they claimed you were getting the exact same product that Japan did. Understandably, some people may be upset about this, but there is nothing inherently wrong with them having a different version here. I'm sure if Square Enix cared about the "sanctity" of the Japanese version that they would have either had Nintendo contractually obligated to release it unchanged, published it themselves instead, or refused to let the game be released here at all if Nintendo demanded censoring.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:30 am Reply with quote
The costumes being used in the Western version of Bravely Default don't bother me too much because they are actual designs that were drawn up during the creation of the game. It's not like they specifically went and made these recently when the localization process began. As for the dialogue changes, I'd need to see the Japanese script to make my own decision on whether I approve or not. Can anyone provide screencaps of the Japanese dialogue?
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:46 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
The costumes being used in the Western version of Bravely Default don't bother me too much because they are actual designs that were drawn up during the creation of the game. It's not like they specifically went and made these recently when the localization process began

Then why do they look like last minute alterations?
They look completely lazy, the texture even looks off when compared to the original. No one puts there heart into censoring.
If there's a case where this was true once in history, color me impressed.
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
Stealth00 wrote:

The point is that an author can have their original vision changed by an editor/publisher before it is released. Is it really that different a situation to a game having some changes before the English version is released?

Yes, it certainly is. The game is already finished. The costumes and the character designs are what they are. We all know what the finished game in Japan is like. Unless this is a situation like say, Kite, where Yasuomi Umetsu explicitly stated he intended for his work to be less sexually explicit than what was produced, then this would be understandable. But as far as we know, this here is certainly censorship by a corporate entity and made to appeal to certain moral inclinations of those who more than likely weren't interested in the game in first place. Again, it's similar to how some of the violent, overtly sexual pulp like Overfiend or Violence Jack had to be cut under guidance from the BBFC because the populace at large would have been potentially offended, even though they were probably never interested in watching trashy Japanese cartoons in the first place.

Stealth00 wrote:

It's not like they claimed you were getting the exact same product that Japan did. Understandably, some people may be upset about this, but there is nothing inherently wrong with them having a different version here.

When should they have to clarify that we are in fact getting the uncut version of their product? Haven't we gotten to the point where we should expect a product to come out here more or less true to its original release? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't we gotten things like the Hyperdimension Neptunia games here unscathed? The fact is just when a niche of fans finally are getting games in manner they were intended to be seen, suddenly we should go back to covering up bits of sexually because a populace at large who we aren't even sure will be interested could be frightened by a game that, again, has only a niche audience who have been anticipating it from the beginning.

Simply put, I don't see why we are going back to this form of censorship that was considered passe by the end of the 90s. I'd like to see the moral outrage that would have been caused by the Siren's naked bottom in Final Fantasy VI.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6