• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Costume Changes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Considering the age of the characters in Bravely Default, I understand the censorship. That is to say however, that not all censorship is good.

What parts of the Lightning Returns demo does it cover?
xeroth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I'll always prefer to have uncensored versions as it's how the original work was created and intended to be seen.
It's be nice if there was a toggle option somewhere at least...

In Bravely Default I'm not too bothered due to the character models anyway, for that monster card game though? Surely they're just annoying the only people that would want the game in the first place?

I'll never understand the whole nudity is bad but violence is fine thing anyways.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
xeroth wrote:
I'll always prefer to have uncensored versions as it's how the original work was created and intended to be seen.

In Bravely Default I'm not too bothered due to the character models anyway, for that monster card game though? Surely they're just annoying the only people that would want the game in the first place?

I'll never understand the whole nudity is bad but violence is fine thing anyways.

Western morality at it's best but there is also another factor that comes into play. That is the rating system by the esrb which has to rate games base on all of it's subjective content. The monster card would in no way get less than A/O due to sexual content, how the removed characters look and so on.

Sony of america will not allow any game to their hardware if it has A/0 rating period. So either we comprise by removing sexual content or we don't get the game at all. I'm sure some would prefer that we didn't get the game at all due to the censorship.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
...Looks like the dialogue was altered quite a bit after all.
Read the comments.
spoiler[http://nintendoeverything.com/bravely-default-makes-changes-to-female-costumes-in-overseas-version/]
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
xeroth wrote:

Western morality at it's best but there is also another factor that comes into play. That is the rating system by the esrb which has to rate games base on all of it's subjective content. The monster card would in no way get less than A/O due to sexual content, how the removed characters look and so on.

Sony of america will not allow any game to their hardware if it has A/0 rating period. So either we comprise by removing sexual content or we don't get the game at all. I'm sure some would prefer that we didn't get the game at all due to the censorship.
I don't quite know about that.

I don't think nudity is quite the problem because bare breasts have been in plenty of games. Even a penis in GTA4. Plenty of games with sexual content get released.

It has more to do with them looking young, but also the ESRB didn't rate it exactly.

It was posted here an article from Siliconera talking about how for digital only titles the game publisher can chose it's own rating and that the ESRB dosen't review it the same way they do a retail release.

This is Idea Factory's doing. They are choosing the rating and choosing to cut things out. Without the changes would thier still be a problem? I don't know. Those Record of Agerst games come out with M ratings and I don't think they cut out anything. The Witcher has sex and fully nude women for the most part and the 2nd one was released fine.

So I'm unsure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:

.....I don't think this issue is anybody's fault: Square Enix recognized that the U.S. has different social mores concerning sexualized designs than Japan, and reacted accordingly, and people don't seem to get that. This isn't political correctness, this is simply adjusting for a different market--one that isn't steeped in Japanese pop-culture. We all forget how desensitized we are from our hours spent watching Saber Marionette J.

The people that would buy that game, would not want to have it censored. Those that would be offended by that game, are not the ones who are going to be buying it.

So it is political correctness. They are doing their market no favors by censoring it.

Also, thanks StormVanguard for catching quoting error.

Last edited by TarsTarkas on Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:

.....I don't think this issue is anybody's fault: Square Enix recognized that the U.S. has different social mores concerning sexualized designs than Japan, and reacted accordingly, and people don't seem to get that. This isn't political correctness, this is simply adjusting for a different market--one that isn't steeped in Japanese pop-culture. We all forget how desensitized we are from our hours spent watching Saber Marionette J.

There i fixed it for you, feel free to edit or copy and paste.
Guile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
GLindis wrote:
I am troubled by journalists who would suggest that certain types of censorship are no biggie, especially when there seems to be a financial motivation (I am inherently distrustful of any video games "journalism" though).

I always find it incredibly hypocritical that we live in a time where critics and journalists are trying to push the whole 'games are art' mentality by comparing them to film, books, and television, yet have absolutely zero problem supporting or being indifferent to video games being censored or altered. At this stage, I would say video games are not art if it is that acceptable to alter them. Or even for someone like Jason Schreier to be so unprofessional and insulting to creators whom he disagrees with. Video games certainly have a long way to go before they can be compared to books and film. The community can not preach about wanting video games to be taken seriously on one hand while insulting and trying to change the games they disagree with with the other.
pent234

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but I take more issue with the fact that Ringabel's costume has been removed than anything else. Sure, I tend to fall more on the "all censorship is wrong" side of the camp and thus would prefer that it all be left alone, but slight editing of costumes is rather minuscule compared to the complete excision of a costume. They could just as easily have lengthened his speedo and turned it into a pair of swim shorts, yet they chose to get rid of it altogether. It's sexist at the very least, homophobic at worst.
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
pent234 wrote:
Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but I take more issue with the fact that Ringabel's costume has been removed than anything else.
It is definitely excessive, but with that logic the girls should be fine in swimwear.

pent234 wrote:
but slight editing of costumes is rather minuscule compared to the complete excision of a costume.

I really wouldn't have a problem with alteration if they took it seriously, in the end it completely changes the characters image looking tacky instead and completely removing that unique vibe of the character. It's one of the reasons i love fantasy so much because the costumes are so out there and yet actually feel plausible. I don't think any cosplayer is gonna want to cosplay cammy in boyshorts. It's one of the rare examples where we can display freedom of expression without being openly judged for it.

So i guess in the end it's not okay, because what they really should be doing is completely redesigning the outfit to make there character still stand out.

Last edited by StormVanguard on Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dmysta3000

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
What parts of the Lightning Returns demo does it cover?

Just the game's prolouge. Its pretty short.
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
pent234 wrote:
Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but I take more issue with the fact that Ringabel's costume has been removed than anything else. Sure, I tend to fall more on the "all censorship is wrong" side of the camp and thus would prefer that it all be left alone, but slight editing of costumes is rather minuscule compared to the complete excision of a costume. They could just as easily have lengthened his speedo and turned it into a pair of swim shorts, yet they chose to get rid of it altogether. It's sexist at the very least, homophobic at worst.

And I take more issue with the fact that it's been removed, but thing I hear people complaining about much more is the female costume change. I think this is only the second time I've even seen a comment mentioning the speedo, compared to the dozens of ones complaining about female costume changes, in this game and others. I've even seen someone accuse the feminists of changing the costumes, as if the speedo was never removed.
This is why I have a little trouble taking the people saying "all censorship is bad" seriously. I'm sure some of them have valid reasons for supporting their stance, but...
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
varmintx wrote:
How many years has it been since Xenosaga Ep. III came out? I ask because bringing up the removal of the blood from that one scene still elicits blinding, searing rage. I should probably get over it at some point.
Yeah that was really bad. Made a lot of those cutscenes very awkward. Namco did it to get a teen rating as if that really would make a difference in sales of the game.

Actually... the removal of the blood makes that scene more creepy for me. Just imagine it in the context of the Scottish Play. *shudder*
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I'd be really annoyed if this was a PS3 game since I really enjoyed Oceans. We did get a cut scene DVD of the first Xenosaga.
Words cannot describe how enjoyable a very long, very low quality CG movie with all the action scenes cut out was.

Sheesh, now that is getting shafted, and being compensated in the poorest way possible.
Steelbuck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Censorship: One piece of censorship that annoyed me personally was the American version of "Onimusha".

My Japanese girlfriend brought a Japanese Playstation 2 for me when she came to visit in 2001. One of the games was Onimusha. Great game that included English language spoken, but not localized so certain things were a little harder to read because some was in Japanese.

I bought an American PS2 with the express purpose of experiencing the game in English and I find certain things had been censored, like the wasp ladies transformation. It got cut out. In the Japanese version, she squats on the floor in a loose robe, spreads her legs and the back end of a wasp comes out from between her legs like a massive erection or baby. and her breasts turn into armor or something. Erotic horror, Japanese style. The transformation was completely cut out of the American version and took away the sense of curiosity and then horror that you felt when you began to to fight her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6