• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
OOP Anime now commanding Big Bucks??

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:50 pm Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:
Were either of these sites the site in question?

Thanks. I think those are the ones I've seen posted before. Too bad they won't take requests anymore as some of the series I was looking to box aren't listed.

Zalis116 wrote:
A lot of Sailor Moon DVDs are going for high prices, since they're all expired-license OOP series. Even the 14 discs of the edited dub of the first two seasons are fairly pricey--some are as low as $20, many are $30-$59, and the last two are nearly $100 Exclamation While a few of the individual S and SuperS discs are still reasonable, most of the collections are pricey, like SM R for $200 or the movies for $100

Yeah, I forgot all about Sailor moon. Probably because when I looked to buy it I saw all those hefty price tags and some of them are really hard to find. I tried to get my friend who had loaned them to me to now sell them but she wasn't budging. She probably hasn't even watched most of them in years but I guess she's just attached to them. But if I ever want to watch them again she said I'd be welcome to borrow them again, so maybe next time I'll "forget" to give them back. Cool Kidding, of course.

She's missing some of Sailor Moon S, but she's got the box sets for the others and also a bunch of random dub VHS and individual DVDs from before she bought the uncut season sets. All in great condition too, so I'm pretty sure her collection is worth a lot more than she probably even thinks, or knowing her she probably even hasn't thought about it. I know if I had that, it'd be a lot easier to just complete that S set or to pick up an S box set used somewhere, but trying to start from scratch now just seems like a huge hassle.

10円 wrote:
Martian Successor Nadesico was such a fun series in my book. I don't typically enjoy Sci-Fi. I don't typically enjoy mechs. But, I still really enjoyed Nadesico. It was just too cool for words and I was actually a little surprised when I realized it was long since out of print. Back in the day if somebody asked me for a recommendation I often started with Nadesico. These days I don't think about it that much anymore but I'm glad you brought it up. I really need to pick up the rest of the series that I'm still missing. "You get to burning..." I can already hear the opening song in my head as I type this. Count me in with the folks who complain about good series going OOP too early. I wonder how much it would cost to re-license some of these older series.

I'm not a big fan of mecha either but I can always put up with it if the story is great. And from everything I've ever read about MSN, I think I'd probably really enjoy this series.

There are a few companies that take a shot with an older show that's already been released and no longer in print. Like Funi taking GTO, which even though I paid for the two boxes already, if Funi at least re-subs it I'll definitely buy it again. As many fans as MSN seems to have, someone might do well to relicense and re-release it too. I'm sure I'm not the only one who overlooked it when it was first out and now gotten interested after hearing so many good things about it.

Richard J. wrote:
If the company you were talking about was the one linked to by NGE1113, they've stopped taking requests so if the show you want a box for isn't on their list, you're screwed. I E-mailed them a while back about that issue and that's basically what they told me.

Sucks too considering how great those boxes they've made look and how much money I would have been sending their way.

Yeah, that's what I was looking for too. I'd love to get a box especially for Shakugan no Shana if nothing else Sad . However they do have some nice ones for a couple other series that I have sitting around loose so I'll probably still order a couple, but yeah, I would've probably spent more too if they were taking requests.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
Bootleggers are the bane of eBay. Why no one seems to be trying to clean them out is beyond me. I know it would be hard but you'd think someone at eBay would be just a little concerned about facilitiating so much piracy considering all the crackdowns that are starting to happen lately.
Ebay doesn't care, they get plenty of revenue from commissions or whatever from these bootleg sellers, so they'll let them stay as long as they can.

Plus neither the licensors or the actual copyright holders can't be "bothered" to do a simple C&D to eBay to stop them from allowing sellers like this.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Plus neither the licensors or the actual copyright holders can't be "bothered" to do a simple C&D to eBay to stop them from allowing sellers like this.
A part of me want's to try suing them just to see if it would change eBay's policies, but I have neither the money nor the time to try something like that. Why the companies losing money don't seem to want to is a complete mystery to me.

Would a C&D order alone fix the problem? Probably not, but it's a good place to start. It couldn't really hurt either.
Asako

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I've been trying to catch up to all of the OOP DVDs since I actually jumped into the DVD collecting kinda late for a longtime fan.

I did pay ridiculous amounts of money for some single DVDs. I've been called crazy on some occasions and "good deal" on others.

I wouldn't recommend the Cowboy Bebop Set unless you're collecting it since the remix is out with better sound. The box set of Cowboy Bebop is serialized for collectors though Smile And make sure you get the one with the soundtrack, make sure it's 6 disks, and a top that opens. There are tons of Cowboy Bebop bootlegs on ebay and the serialized version is rarely seen.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:22 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
A part of me want's to try suing them just to see if it would change eBay's policies, but I have neither the money nor the time to try something like that. Why the companies losing money don't seem to want to is a complete mystery to me.

Would a C&D order alone fix the problem? Probably not, but it's a good place to start. It couldn't really hurt either.

eBay US can't escape the copyright laws of the United States. The question is, do companies like ADV and FUNi have authority to enforce copyright?
indrik

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:42 pm Reply with quote
If the bootlegs are being distributed in the US, then I would think yes- these folks buy distribution rights, typically for North America. Region 1 anyway. Also if the bootlegs contain their (English) audio tracks or dvd menus. I guess there's an argument about whether they're being "distributed", I don't know if there's a legal definition for that. I imagine there is. But it seems pretty clear that a bootleg containing an American-produced English audio track is a copyright violation.

ebay has been sued for this:

http://www.photosource.com/psn_full.php?type=Columnists&id=265

edit: I just realized that's not dated. Here's a slashdot, says it was in '00:

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/11/09/159231

Another one from 2001, sports memorabilia:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-527338.html

Interesting article on the topic:

http://www.morganlewis.com/pubs/3276DFA9-655B-4E4E-ACCA56E50D7A5328_Publication.pdf

Am I off topic yet?

It seems it basically came down that they're a meeting place, and are not required to proactively search out these sorts of violations. They will take auctions down if there's a complaint, but I've heard a lot of complaints (about a lot of differet sorts of things ) that while they will usually do that, it takes a while, and often longer than the auction runs. That means that if ADV or whoever did complain, ebay would take down the auction and ban the seller, but it might be after the item has sold. I can imagine that going either way: if it's a big enough problem, it might be worth paying somebody to surf ebay and report violations. But I don't know if it would ultimately do any good, since bootelg sellers seem to reappear as fast as they are removed. So I don't know if it's worth the effort for the copyright holders to pursue it, from a financial point of view. Maybe summer interns?
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:41 pm Reply with quote
hehe I've been looking for a manga that i want to get my hands on thats not around anymore, and i see it on ebay for like $5 tops. ill get it when i can, but considering they sell now normally for about $14 and up, im going for ebay. really rare, and not well known.
Asako

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:14 pm Reply with quote
The Seventh Son wrote:
hehe I've been looking for a manga that i want to get my hands on thats not around anymore, and i see it on ebay for like $5 tops. ill get it when i can, but considering they sell now normally for about $14 and up, im going for ebay. really rare, and not well known.
Oohh what one is that? Very Happy I wanna know!! I don't wanna steal your auction though Sad
10円

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Asako wrote:
I don't wanna steal your auction though Sad

Me neither. I'll be happy to bid up the amount though. Heck, half of what I bought on ebay was only purchased by accident because I went just a little to far messing with other bidders. Did I ever tell you the one about the $2,000 CD? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2