• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam for dummies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sykosteve

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:11 am Reply with quote
I made it my personal mission to watch all the Gundam series in order according to timeline.

0079, 8th ms team, 0080, 0083, zeta, double zeta, char's counter attack and f91

now some of the later ones I had seen long before I began this mission, so Double Zeta is the only show I haven't completed yet, partially due to dark rips, but mostly due to the hijinks previously mentioned...and time.

As far as the side stories go, I think Wing is the only series I watched all the way through, as it was also my first Gundam series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gage

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:39 am Reply with quote
There is also the Gundam Official English website. Of course, the timeline there won't provide you with a whole lot of details on the Time line (compared to information on Wikipedia which in turn may be nothing but theory). If you visit, there is some good information on characters, locations, and mobile suits.

So yeah, I'd count the Gundam Official website as a good source of mine! Smile
jetz

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:17 am Reply with quote
Wait a second - you mean all Gundam series are related? I seriously did not know that, nor did I ever think that was possible. There's even an order of what to watch first. *shocked*

I only watched one Gundam series, which was Gundam Wing. I watched it when I first started getting into anime and at that time, I watched only shonen anime. I am thinking of watching Gundam seed soon, so this thread will definitely help me understand it more. It also got me a bit intrigued and interested.

Do you really have to watch them all and in order though? I don't have access to all of the series..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iritscen
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:36 am Reply with quote
Yes, jetz. You must watch each and every one in precise chronological order.

Smile You can pick whatever you want and watch it -- but mind zaphdash's warning:

Quote:
Sequels that should not be watched first: Gundam 0083, Zeta Gundam, Gundam ZZ, Char's Counterattack, Endless Waltz.

That's a pretty indisputable list. Just don't watch 0083, Z, CCA or ZZ before the original Gundam, and don't watch Endless Waltz before Gundam Wing, but you probably already knew that last one. Otherwise just pick something at random that sounds interesting/affordable/accessible.

The one series that I would avoid showing a Gundam newbie is G Gundam, because it's so off-the-wall and un-Gundam-like. Ultimately a surprisingly involving show, but not Gundam-like at all. It would make for a totally inaccurate first impression. (Well, SD Gundam too would be a terrible starter series.)
kolibri

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:41 am Reply with quote
You people are just the best. Extra special thanks to zaphdash, penguintruth, Iritscen and BrothersElric who took time and wrote really detailed, thought-out, honest and interesting opinions, I really appreciate those the best and will reference back to them Smile.

I've ordered the three movie box set and 08th MS Team Complete Collection, once I've gone through those I think I'll got for Zeta and G next, then probably Wing. Looks like I don't need to worry about what to do with my free time for a while... (like that was ever a problem)

And jetz - so "Gundam for dummies" is an appropriate title, then Wink
jetz

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:48 am Reply with quote
Well I'm not really a newbie, but a dummy nonetheless so yes, a fitting title it is, Kolibri.

I have never seen Endless Waltz though. I think it was a classmate from 7th grade (I watched Gundam Wing at about the same time) who told me it sucked and because of that I never did watch it.

I had the chance to watch G Gundam, but I didn't because it looked too old. Back then I wanted some eye candy in the anime I watch, and it looked like that particular series was scarce of eye candy (i.e. bishonens) Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:44 pm Reply with quote
i haven't seen all gundams, but i like the UC group. 0079 was the first one that was made. seen it. I've seen that, 0080 War in the Pocket, 08th MS Team, Chars' Counterattack, and 0083 Stardust Memory. i dont like the other groups. and actually, SEED killed my thirst for mecha. watch the original grouping, and you will DEFINITELY change your opinion on SEED, or should i say Gundam ANGST.
Iritscen
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Wow, jetz, that classmate was crazy Smile Most Gundam fans (at least, Wing fans) love Endless Waltz. And talk about eye candy! Everything is unbelievably gorgeous. (Plus it answers an unanswered question from the series that has to do with what happens before Wing starts.)
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
Wow, jetz, that classmate was crazy Smile Most Gundam fans (at least, Wing fans) love Endless Waltz. And talk about eye candy! Everything is unbelievably gorgeous. (Plus it answers an unanswered question from the series that has to do with what happens before Wing starts.)

Heck yeah your classmate was crazy! (You can tell I was and am a HUGE GW fan, can't you? Laughing I believe I still have that T-Shirt I bought in the 9th grade somewhere in my old clothes pile. Even if I thought SEED was the best Gundam series, Wing is still my #1favorite Gundam series) If anything, I actually thought that Endless Waltz was better than Wing. I mean, storywise it was probably about on par, but the animation, mech designs and battle sequences where just stunning. Shocked I still don't think I've seen anything quite like it in any mech series I've seen thus far.

May I make a little suggestion, jetz. If you've already seen Wing and loved it, watch Endless Waltz VERY soon.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:54 pm Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
Wait a second - you mean all Gundam series are related? I seriously did not know that, nor did I ever think that was possible. There's even an order of what to watch first. *shocked*

It depends on how you look at it. Outside of the UC, the Gundam series aren't really related story wise. However Turn A Gundam more or less tried to connect them all (very loosley I might add). So I guess it's really a matter of which camp you wanna be a part of.

sykosteve wrote:
I made it my personal mission to watch all the Gundam series in order according to timeline.

0079, 8th ms team, 0080, 0083, zeta, double zeta, char's counter attack and f91.

What about V Gundam?
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:58 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
The boxset used dubtitles, so some scenes were a bit awkward. You would hear someone shout a name and see something else on screne, for example. Also, buying the singles will still make it 10 disks since each 'single' has two discs. But the subtitles were supposedly fixed for the singles releases.

Can anyone confirm this for Zeta Gundam?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:57 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
What about V Gundam?

CCA takes place in U.C. 93, then F-91 takes place in U.C. 123 and V Gundam takes place in U.C. 153. While I haven't seen it myself, V Gundam takes place so long after the other U.C. series that seeing the others first shouldn't really matter. There may be a few references here and there to the old U.C. series but I doubt it amounts to anything more than that.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You people are just the best. Extra special thanks to zaphdash, penguintruth, Iritscen and BrothersElric who took time and wrote really detailed, thought-out, honest and interesting opinions, I really appreciate those the best and will reference back to them .

No problem. I love discussing Gundam.

Josh7289 wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
The boxset used dubtitles, so some scenes were a bit awkward. You would hear someone shout a name and see something else on screne, for example. Also, buying the singles will still make it 10 disks since each 'single' has two discs. But the subtitles were supposedly fixed for the singles releases.

Can anyone confirm this for Zeta Gundam?

Yeah, the individual volumes have fixed subtitles. One of my Special Edition boxset discs got real scratched up and I replaced it and another with a double-disced individual volume, and the subtitles are different. No longer will Rosamia's "Niisan!" translate to "Kamille!".

On the subject of Turn A, I interpret "Dark History" as being a largely symbolic gesture rather than a true tying together of the Gundam franchise - after all, no explanation is given to the sequence of what goes where when and I doubt those timelines could be pieced together in any reasonable fashion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:11 pm Reply with quote
thanks everyone so much! I am recently rewatching G Gundam to try to find out why it was so appealing in my childhood, and I think I am having success. Not the most complex of plots, but as for the characters- you can't help but love 'em. And as was said earlier, Domon is really v. cool. But I was getting confused with all the results for the search term "Gundam" so this really cleared things up.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
At best I think you could go Wing/SEED/UC (pick one) and Turn in the very distant future. Possibly you could stick X in between there. Maybe G Gundam in there too (but probly not). Trying to fit SEED, UC and Wing on the same timeline seems impossible though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4