• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japan Recruiting Young Filipino Anime Fans For Exchange Program

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure black kids love anime way more than Filipinos. WHERE'S THE JUSTICE!? NWA!

Anyway, sounds like a cool program.
HauntingShock

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quote
Tomibiki wrote:
Pretty sure black kids love anime way more than Filipinos. WHERE'S THE JUSTICE!? NWA!

Are you serious? Philippines is one of the countries which don't frown upon otaku culture. Shocked
partysmores

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:45 am Reply with quote
"Um...yes, I am young Filipino boy who like the anime shows..."

"What do you mean you know I'm American? Damn it!"
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:09 am Reply with quote
hmm i don't buy it give from sources give phils anime area has been recent years VICTIM of being screwed from their anime showings.

1.too much showing & over re-run replays of those phils college sports games (waste of tv showing especially on college volleyball since there no pro league of it).

2.video stores has still yet have NO anime dvd-blu sets from u.s. area where are they to get it?

3.not much tv showing been going sinking bad scked to lack of anime on it include that lack of LEGIT english (really sometime those animax dub really drive me bit hello not all anime are for little jimmies).

yea give really no prob of this japan-phils exchange program but phils area doing to anime really SHAME ON THEM FOR ALL THOSE YEARS.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:09 am Reply with quote
Toei already has an anime studio there for years.
The Mask

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:54 am Reply with quote
For those interested, bear in mind that this is an EXCHANGE program. As such, they're aiming for those who are majoring in animation, illustration, design, and so on. You may go ahead and say that you are a huge anime fan, but how can you justify taking part in the otaku exchange program when you are, say, a nursing student or an economics student?

So yeah, it won't be for everybody. But hey, you can still go give it a shot.

Oh, and here's the full details for those interested:

http://www.ncca.gov.ph/downloads/JENESYS2.0/2_Application%20guideline%20üiJENESYS2.0%20Traditional%20Culture%20Heritage%20Artüjüy5th%20Batchüz.pdf

=====

KLAC wrote:
hmm i don't buy it give from sources give phils anime area has been recent years VICTIM of being screwed from their anime showings.

1.too much showing & over re-run replays of those phils college sports games (waste of tv showing especially on college volleyball since there no pro league of it).

2.video stores has still yet have NO anime dvd-blu sets from u.s. area where are they to get it?

3.not much tv showing been going sinking bad scked to lack of anime on it include that lack of LEGIT english (really sometime those animax dub really drive me bit hello not all anime are for little jimmies).

yea give really no prob of this japan-phils exchange program but phils area doing to anime really SHAME ON THEM FOR ALL THOSE YEARS.

1. Why is that a bad thing? I believe Japan does the same thing as well. Heck, they even have the baseball Koshien for high school players.

2. There's no point in selling those items here because they will have very few customers who would buy it. Though anime is heavily embraced here by the Filipino youth, the fact remains that a great majority of them aren't that rich.

Heck, they can't even afford to buy ONE volume of a regular-priced English-translated manga. (And to put it into perspective, the price of one volume is already equivalent to less than two days' worth of the minimum wage in the country. Surely that amount of money could be spent on more urgent.

If your English manga is that expensive here, how much more for anime DVD or Blu-Ray sets. Oh, and the DVD business is in a bit of a decline due to piracy, so they are unlikely to take such a huge risk like buying those DVD sets.

3. Admittedly, the networks are at fault here because they've really mishandled the anime that they have with them. Why they're not showing that much anime these days is something I can't address, though. But I guess it may have something to do with utilizing more Filipino talents than simply relying on foreign brands.
ReverseTitan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:43 pm Reply with quote
HauntingShock wrote:
Tomibiki wrote:

Are you serious? Philippines is one of the countries which don't frown upon otaku culture. Shocked

What "otaku culture?" Otaku=/=anime/manga consumer nerd. Otaku can mean being obsessed with anything, such as games. Funnily enough, the Nintendo DS was not well received in the Philippines because the cartridges are near impossible to copy and last time I checked, gaming systems are part of otaku culture.
Help_me_Im_a_n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:27 am Reply with quote
Application Guidelines for JENESYS 2.0 Programme wrote:

To strengthen the basis of diplomatic relations between Japan and respective Asian and Oceanian countries by fostering youths of these countries to be Japanophiles.

The Greater East Asia Economic Co-Prosperity Sphere is strong in this one. Actually post-war there was a big push for pen-pal exchanges. Kinda pointless today with electronic mail, but that did a lot to soften relations back in the day.

It does not matter. Mushishi alone was sufficient to cement my belief in the superior Japanese culture. May Japan continue to bless Asia with its leadership (Flying Geese Paradigm... and China's ridiculously quick acceleration which makes it a threatpoint.).
Yu Ominae

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:25 am Reply with quote
I can attest to this. Even the manga stores import from Singapore are expensive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1