• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Battle Angel Alita/Gunnm Manga to Start in 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:10 am Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
hpulley wrote:

But you're right, I'm actually quite surprised there has never been more made than this. Not sure if it is stuck in rights hell or if it is just the fact that seinen manga adaptations tend to bomb on disc sales that prevents it from happening.

Anime creators do seem to be highly allergic to seinen manga, yeah.

And because of that, it's more becoming a lost art. It's harder to find staff with the experience to do seinen anime right. (Imagine if it's just Cameron to do it! Laughing )
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
I am unhappy. I really like Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, now he's dropping it now after resurrecting it. I can't seem to get a break.

Its not that I'm disintrested in his new work, but dang it i'd like see something done to its completion verses cutting storyline at the knees and giving it what could be a quick ending. I was hopping they get somewhere story after that long batch of a fighting in the orbital arena.

Hope he manages to stick with Wars on Mars, but i'm not so happy with him right now. Sad I like going forward with timeline, not retrending it.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
R. Kasahara wrote:
hpulley wrote:

But you're right, I'm actually quite surprised there has never been more made than this. Not sure if it is stuck in rights hell or if it is just the fact that seinen manga adaptations tend to bomb on disc sales that prevents it from happening.

Anime creators do seem to be highly allergic to seinen manga, yeah.

And because of that, it's more becoming a lost art. It's harder to find staff with the experience to do seinen anime right. (Imagine if it's just Cameron to do it! Laughing )

Not to mention that they'd need to a pretty big budget to do the fight scenes justice and I doubt the manga is anywhere near popular for that.

Wrangler wrote:
I am unhappy. I really like Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, now he's dropping it now after resurrecting it. I can't seem to get a break.

Its not that I'm disintrested in his new work, but dang it i'd like see something done to its completion verses cutting storyline at the knees and giving it what could be a quick ending. I was hopping they get somewhere story after that long batch of a fighting in the orbital arena.

Hope he manages to stick with Wars on Mars, but i'm not so happy with him right now. Sad I like going forward with timeline, not retrending it.

Well, Mars WOULD be the next logical place for the plot and the characters to go to after (fricking finally!) wrapping up ZOTT, so I'd say there's a fair chance it'll be a direct continuation (with plenty of flashbacks thrown in of course Wink).

On a side note, I really wish that Kodansha or Viz or whoever would finally license the side stories.
GW-9800

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I REALLY hope this continues the story. I'd be really pissed if the current story never continued.
Blaine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:30 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
hpulley wrote:
vangelionite88 wrote:
interesting.... buuuut what this needs is an anime.
There were two OVA episodes released in the early '90s. I still have them on VHS but there has been a disc release too.

But returning to the war on Mars for a new series could be interesting considering that many of the flashbacks were the best parts of the series. A series about the vampires could work too.

Ashame, I'd love to see a full length TV anime from this.

James camaron is supposed to be doing a movie, seems to be on hold though.

Anyone know if/when viz will release english version of mars chronicle?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2