• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Otaku from 100 Countries Voice Which Characters They Want to Date

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aereus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

Don't give us that hipster crap. Sounds to me that you're just butthurt that your favorite didn't make the list.

This is what I hate about anime top tens. You'll always find that guy who complains about something mainstream being on the list. They're not the real otakus.

IMHO it's more that if your Top-whatever or #1 is from incredibly mainstream titles, I assume you've barely watched anything. As mainstream titles mostly feature caricatures and one-dimensional characters.

Although it's nice to see Holo on the list here, and Ruri being on the list instead of Kirino does make me smirk.

PS: And don't misconstrue that as saying those are somehow terrible shows or something. There are a lot of fun/entertaining shows that I watch that I know aren't actually very good from an objective standpoint.

Last edited by aereus on Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Yeah, I didn't mean there is anything wrong with Holo. Rather, I meant that the series she is from is surprising compared to the other series.

You may have good point about the shipping. It seems to me that especially female fans are more inclined to like a character because of a pairing rather than the qualities of the character themselves.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

Don't give us that hipster crap. Sounds to me that you're just butthurt that your favorite didn't make the list.

This is what I hate about anime top tens. You'll always find that guy who complains about something mainstream being on the list. They're not the real otakus.

IMHO it's more that if your Top-whatever or #1 is from incredibly mainstream titles, I assume you've barely watched anything. As mainstream titles mostly feature caricatures and one-dimensional characters.

I just hate the "Mainstream Bad" mentality. It's mostly contrarians and hipster that think that way that all mainstreams are bad just for the sake of looking like a superior otaku. Yes, it's fine you'd rather watch "Pilot Candidate," just let people watch "Naruto," and you won't come off as pretentious to some people.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
_V_ wrote:
What the hell do women see in these men? They're just a bunch of brooding loners who play by their own rules.

you just answered your own question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBNXDXNOKlo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
aereus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Yes, it's fine you'd rather watch "Pilot Candidate," just let people watch "Naruto," and you won't come off as pretentious to some people.

Funny you mention that. I've always had a bone to pick with Yukiru Sugisaki for cancelling Pilot Candidate in favor of starting DNangel Very Happy
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
sarroush wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
_V_ wrote:
What the hell do women see in these men? They're just a bunch of brooding loners who play by their own rules.

Girls go gaga over Loki from Thor these days.

We can't help it. He's gorgeous, has a great voice and makes witty comments. We of course completely disregard the fact that he's a bit...yeah.

Not really husbando material though, since you never know when he might stab you in the back.

Yeah. Loki's gorgeous. Levi's badass. Zero's, well, Mamoru Miyano. But the original question wasn't who's the greatest, but who one wants to date. Some girls don't seem to make that distinction, though. Wink I guess I'd prefer someone a bit less ... out of control? Cold? Self-Destructive? Levi would probably make the better choice out of those three. But, yeah. Bring out the brooding loners and all related tropes in my fiction any day. Dating-wise, though, sanity and a certain amount of down-to-earthness are somewhat crucial.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Lame. I find not one of the female characters attractive, nor do I find any of their personalities to fit my taste. This list blows IMO >:p And yea, this is a bit too mainstream. You don't have to be a "hipster" to realize that.
hojo 360

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
Lame. I find not one of the female characters attractive, nor do I find any of their personalities to fit my taste. This list blows IMO >:p And yea, this is a bit too mainstream. You don't have to be a "hipster" to realize that.
Indeed the list is trash and i think it's funny how some don't see how mainstream this list is Laughing
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Eh, those Otaku can have their Asuna. I'll just be over here with my superior Sugu.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:

Saying "mainstream" like it's a bad thing is generally a hipster stereotype.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:
sarroush wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
_V_ wrote:

Girls go gaga over Loki from Thor these days.

We can't help it. He's gorgeous, has a great voice and makes witty comments. We of course completely disregard the fact that he's a bit...yeah.

Not really husbando material though, since you never know when he might stab you in the back.

Yeah. Loki's gorgeous. Levi's badass. Zero's, well, Mamoru Miyano. But the original question wasn't who's the greatest, but who one wants to date. Some girls don't seem to make that distinction, though. Wink I guess I'd prefer someone a bit less ... out of control? Cold? Self-Destructive? Levi would probably make the better choice out of those three. But, yeah. Bring out the brooding loners and all related tropes in my fiction any day. Dating-wise, though, sanity and a certain amount of down-to-earthness are somewhat crucial.

That list isn't something I'd want to date bar one - Makoto Tachibana from Free!. He's a nice kid and it makes him stand out on that list big time! If he really existed and was old enough for me to date, I'd try a date with him Smile .
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
There was a TV special in Japan earlier this year that asked a similar question, but didn't target otaku, but rather ordinary Japanese people of a wide range of ages.

#1 girl Japan wanted to date: Minami Asakura from Touch.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:

That list isn't something I'd want to date bar one - Makoto Tachibana from Free!. He's a nice kid and it makes him stand out on that list big time! If he really existed and was old enough for me to date, I'd try a date with him Smile .

Makoto loves cats so he's already a winner in my book (but yes, too young for me)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... who would ever think that what is essentially a popularity poll open to many different countries would end up producing results largely comprised of characters from popular series available in many countries. It's a mystery!

Clearly, though, this means the list is just mainstream crap! I mean, no true Otaku would ever choose a character from a series that is *gasp* popular! They'd choose a character from a more obscure, more otaku focused series, regardless of whether they even like the character as much!
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Come to think of it, why wasn't Konata Izumi up there on this list? Is the princess of Otaku not good enough for people anymore? Is it that Okatu don't want to date other Otaku? Or perhaps is it that ground is too sacred to tread on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6