• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Poop on a Platter

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SahgoDN

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
They knew it was a hit in Japan, so why not bring it over here? I think they overlooked exactly what it was they were getting their hands on.

Nah, I think they knew exactly what they were getting their hands on. I think they just thought "since this show is such a huge, gigantic, monumental hit in Japan, even if we spend all this cash in getting rid of every drop of blood in it, we will probably get our money back". And the rest is history.

Quote:
They did seem to do random editing though. They would airbrush ENGLISH writing off of signs and buildings and censor anything resembling a cross, religious or not (this included medical crosses, Mihawk's sword, and Nami's weapon). (...) Both edits are directly contrary to Pokemon where they DID leave in crosses (they even used the word).

But are not contrary to Yu-Gi-Oh!, Shaman King, or any of their other properties. Pokémon was their odd child, edit-wise, probably for being their first.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote
SahgoDN wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
They knew it was a hit in Japan, so why not bring it over here? I think they overlooked exactly what it was they were getting their hands on.

Nah, I think they knew exactly what they were getting their hands on. I think they just thought "since this show is such a huge, gigantic, monumental hit in Japan, even if we spend all this cash in getting rid of every drop of blood in it, we will probably get our money back". And the rest is history.

Quote:
They did seem to do random editing though. They would airbrush ENGLISH writing off of signs and buildings and censor anything resembling a cross, religious or not (this included medical crosses, Mihawk's sword, and Nami's weapon). (...) Both edits are directly contrary to Pokemon where they DID leave in crosses (they even used the word).

But are not contrary to Yu-Gi-Oh!, Shaman King, or any of their other properties. Pokémon was their odd child, edit-wise, probably for being their first.

Actually outside of Pokemon, Shaman King was probably the least edited out of all their dubs and a surprising amount of mythology/religious references were left mostly in tact.
SahgoDN

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
SahgoDN wrote:

Actually outside of Pokemon, Shaman King was probably the least edited out of all their dubs and a surprising amount of mythology/religious references were left mostly in tact.

Okay, that was a poor example (first that crossed my mind at the time). They did edit out crosses on occasion, though.
E-Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I was glad when the 4Kids One Piece was put to an end, cause like everyone's opinions, I too dislike the editing and changes they made to the show. Luckily it was canceled before the Skypiea Saga, cause had the show progress there would of been a good number of plot holes developed due to the absence of some story arcs that they skip or the absence of some characters that are vital to the story.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
4Kids: Why are boobs, guns, violence, and cuss words a stigma on American TV and kids' shows? Why? I don't understand it! Who the hell decided those things had to be taboo? We live in the real world, and in the real world, those things exist. They cannot be erased. Kids can learn to handle these things if you'd let them.

And fudge the FCC! They're an unconstitutional body that violates the First Amendment! They have no right to crack down on such content and they never will. People watched Bugs Bunny cartoons with guns, alcohol, and tobacco in them and it was funny. What happened to us as a society that we could tolerate such things on TV then but not now? What went wrong?

Swedish kids' shows have the "worst" swears unbleeped and nobody bats an eye. Why can't we be like Sweden in that regard?
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
4Kids: Why are boobs, guns, violence, and cuss words a stigma on American TV and kids' shows? Why? I don't understand it! Who the hell decided those things had to be taboo? We live in the real world, and in the real world, those things exist. They cannot be erased. Kids can learn to handle these things if you'd let them.

And fudge the FCC! They're an unconstitutional body that violates the First Amendment! They have no right to crack down on such content and they never will. People watched Bugs Bunny cartoons with guns, alcohol, and tobacco in them and it was funny. What happened to us as a society that we could tolerate such things on TV then but not now? What went wrong?

Swedish kids' shows have the "worst" swears unbleeped and nobody bats an eye. Why can't we be like Sweden in that regard?

well, American culture used to not give a shit about children, people used to let them smoke cigarettes, stay out all day long and beat their asses over every single infraction, I think modern American culture has simply been overcompensating for how neglectful they were in the past

it's a noble enough intention, but the big problem is when it comes to media, there's no really no reason a kid shouldn't be exposed to boobs, guns, violence, and cuss words, it's just that censors and moral guardians assume kids are stupid (which they're not) and either "can't handle" grown up things or will imitate them
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Let's get something straight. Judging by how it still lets no-name companies screw around with its properties-*cough*S'More, New World*-Toei still doesn't give a damn about how mutilated its shows are here. [Not to mention that fans are still waiting for subbed and uncut YuGiOh. Hell, I'm sure if someone wanted to license-rescue the DiC dub of Sailor Moon, that would happen in an instant.] But I imagine 4Kids promised big things it didn't deliver on with One Piece, which is why it got yanked. The company was clearly hoping they could turn the series into the next Pokemon, except that Pokemon was an infomercial anime specifically designed to sell toys, while One Piece is a story-oriented anime designed to sell manga and DVDs. Not to mention that Pirates of the Caribbean got here first, so it got all the glory.

Quote:
The fact of the matter is, they were trying to fit a square peg in a round hole: One Piece is a show with boozin', fairly substantial violence, boob jokes, guns, and themes that would be considered adult-oriented in America.

Meh, OP's got nothing you haven't seen in the Chuck Jones stuff, but it's just played out for real, so that's a big no-no-unless it's live-action like The Mask. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
But then a very high-profile Hollywood adaptation of a very famous manga series came out, and was just such a giant turd that everyone with a grain of artistic integrity in them thought, "oh GOD, I don't care how much you pay me, I can't let that happen to my baby!"

You'd figure Toriyama would've learned after that Hong Kong live-action DB film. Laughing Though I'm actually surprised that Vizeisha is still down with Bleach and Death Note. I think Bleach uses too much world-building to work in live-action, and I don't get why they don't adapt a simpler property into a Hollywood movie-such as Black Cat.

Quote:
And since anime and manga as a whole aren't quite in the spotlight as much as they once were, Hollywood isn't doing quite so many remake deals.

They still seem obsessed with raping-er, remaking-Akira, though.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I've always been curious about the English Subtitle thing, because I've always assumed that Japan has a sizable English population due to it having American military bases. You'd think that would be a market to tap into.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
^
Although there are definitely numerous anime fans in the United States military - some are even members of this very forum - I question how many of them would want to pay Japanese prices for anime. Sure, some probably would be happy to fork out hundreds of dollars for a single show. But are there enough anime fans in American bases to be considered a decent market for Japanese anime products, especially at those prices? I don't know about that. The soldiers would probably be better off getting R1 anime D.V.D.s in care packages from home.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Toei also let Funimation carve the hell out of Dragon Ball Z and continue dubbing it inaccurately for over a decade. And these are the people they later trusted One Piece with after 4Kids did that to it.

Well, fortunately it seems Funimation has at least learned something, even if Toei hasn't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Drac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Simply put Dragon Ball Z sold on name alone since it was a huge hit during the industry's heyday. One Piece failed once and it's been an uphill battle since. Dragon Ball Z can be released in any way Funimation cares to do, maybe with the exception of the lukewarm Blu-Ray sales, but they knew the smaller One Piece fan base would turn away immediately if they tried to pull the same crap.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Shaterri wrote:
Does anyone know if there's a canonical list of Japanese-released Blu-rays that *do* have subtitles?

Try here.
the_seventh_l

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
SahgoDN wrote:
I hear a lot around the internet this "Toei yanked One Piece out of 4Kids hands because of what they were doing to their baby" claim. I really, really need to see proof of that, because it makes no sense! Toei has a history of liking money, and doing anything to get their hands on their money (only natural, since they're this huge entertainment giant that they've always been for decades). I doubt they'd care if 4Kids renamed everyone in the show Mary and Bob, as long as that was profitable. Both parties probably gave up on that because it wasn't being profitable for either.

Stop romanticizing Toei, people!
Indeed, you have to wonder where this supposed sense of outrage was when DBZ and Sailor Moon were being heavily edited on the way to massive TV exposure that created many fans of those shows and anime in general.

Really? You must not have been part of Sailor Moon fandom when it was being aired on Toonami, or you would remember Sailor Moon Uncensored, which was regularly updated during its CN run.

However, I must profess I don't remember what the buzz was about re: censorship when it came to Dragon Ball Z. I think folks were too busy making fun of how long it took for Goku to power up to concentrate on other things.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
This had to be one of my personal favorite Answerman columns in a while.

Having never taken any classes in film, animation, or law, I had zero understanding of the ins-and-outs of the legal labyrinth that is anime licensing, distributing, and producing, until ANN shone some light on the subjects. (For that alone I am immensely grateful). These are fascinating topics in my very humble opinion.

Keep up the great work, Justin. ANN is my life blood. Anime catgrin
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:04 am Reply with quote
Idk what went on with One Piece related to Funimation since I don't follow or watch the show. However, the way they butchered the Yugioh dub is almost unforgivable with the heavy editing (that actually interferes with the story), odd voices, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7