• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: This 10-Minute Short Animation Will Tear Your Heart Out

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Damn it, why did I have to watch this while I'm at work?! (T^T)
Wooga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I guess this is for people who have nice families....must be cool...

was I supposed to cry? It was a little predictable
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Wow.

Your children work at their dreams, see them fail and start over or see them succeed. Your love, your support, remains.

It may be predictable, old hat, a cliche, it is also still true.

Mark Gosdin
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
This one relies a little more on the ability to read Japanese than this animator's past works, which really avoided that in favor of purely visual storytelling. I can't read Japanese, so I find that slightly frustrating. It's not as if I can't tell what's going on, but I still miss some details.

And yeah, it seems to be this guy's thing to lay it on kind of thick. All his films are like this.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:15 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
This one relies a little more on the ability to read Japanese than this animator's past works, which really avoided that in favor of purely visual storytelling. I can't read Japanese, so I find that slightly frustrating. It's not as if I can't tell what's going on, but I still miss some details.

And yeah, it seems to be this guy's thing to lay it on kind of thick. All his films are like this.

You can turn on English captions ya know, I was able to see everything that was going on
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:17 am Reply with quote
I got the message with what little Japanese I can read, though it really wasn't necessary, as the actions, like a silent movie, was all that was needed. However this is just a window into what's going on in many a family business with an heir apparent who wants to discover his own way of life by thinking he can do better than that. Sometimes it works and a new business is formed, sometimes it just doesn't because of all the obstacles that all entrepreneurs have to face and get over successfully. Thankfully he had a forgiving and understanding family to fall back on, many do not because of having burned that bridge behind them with no way of rebuilding it again. Did I shed a tear? Nope, because to be an adult one must accept responsibility for all choices made of paths adults take in their lives good and bad. It's called "life", and it always seems to get in the way of living, and always will. No sense crying over it. I also thought that for a story about the 140 years of this newspaper's existence it would have concentrated on the historic events that it would have chronicled, instead of a life of one child into adult hood. I found that a bit odd.
Neohybrid_kai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:04 am Reply with quote
Ah, the mistake of youth.. passion and hobby and college.. *sniffs* I think some of us can relate to that, seeing how otaku tends to dwell deeper on their own world.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
If you watch it on Youtube, you can click on the "CC" button to turn on English subtitles.

Sorry, I didn't realize that option wasn't on the embedded version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1