• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is the manga version always better than the anime version?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

In cases of diverging or wildly different storylines (like FMA), that may be an issue. But I don't think that's the issue most of the time.

I 100% agree. I often watch anime first and end up liking the manga better when I read it, if they are both fairly similar, because I just prefer manga as a medium to anime. But if the anime is very different, then usually what I see first is my favourite.

There are exceptions of course. In the case of both X and Ouran, I prefer the anime even though (at least from what I've read) both are decently similar to the manga (although X the anime has an ending of course). But in these cases I see the anime as fixing problems that the manga had (like having an ending in X's case or dealing with the sloppy ignoring the passage of time in the case of Ouran).
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Heh, well, I'd disagree there, though it may be partly because of the fact that I'm a teenager and that's the audience that Anno aimed at. Still, in spite of the somewhat forced angst and constant doting on a theme that's always been around, I think that he very strongly brings out the sense of alienation and general confusion that a lot of us, most commonly teenagers, feel. I think because of the fact that a lot of people relate to the characters shows the success that Anno ultimately had.

That does make sense. I suspect that I had a different teenage experience in a city school (hanging out with other punks from the same neighborhood) than most people do in suburban ones, but it could also just be a personality thing. Still, I still have plenty of other problems with it (I'm not even going to get into a discussion). In any case I usually associate teenage melancholy with stuff like Blue Spring rather than over-the-top angst.
Jackmace Ryo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:34 am Reply with quote
Well, around 90% of anime IS from adaptation, be it from manga (most common), novel, or even games

As for me, I usually prefer the manga rather than the anime. However..... if both are unavailable legally in my country, I tend to choose the anime version.

Also, it depends on the mangaka's style of drawing (Get Backers manga is very confusing to look for me.....)
Sogekingu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Well most mangas that become anime stay true to the storyline but some like FMA go in a different direction but I think that FMA anime did pretty well. anyways I've seen the getbackers anime and read the Manga and there is just a huge difference between them, the manga just has a lot more depth and is just alot better IMO. also the anime just went into alot of filler after like ep 25 or something.
Andrue

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:03 am Reply with quote
i think it all depends on if the story was written way before or during the production of the anime.
if the manga has time to be farther ahead than the anime, then the anime stays true to the story line and isnt boring.
but if its like inuyasha or dragonball z when episodes were waiting every week for the new manga to come out and ended up filling the series with crap and filler then the manga is much better.
it all depends on a variety of factors too.
sirgalahadthegreat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:53 am Reply with quote
My experience tells me that the manga versions are usually better than the anime version. Take Black Cat. The anime was way different from the manga, and only half as interesting. In my case, the anime served as an introduction to the manga, nothing more.
lijakaca

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote
I think it's the source medium, whatever that is.

Examples:
Manga to Anime - most shounen shows that end up having lots of crap filler episodes.
Anime to Manga - Princess Tutu. I rest my case.
Movie to Game - have you ever seen a movie to game adaptation that was halfway decent? I haven't.

As to why, I believe it's because the original medium is where the creator of the story was able to plan and execute their vision, whereas an adaptation just tries to copy that vision. The times where the adaptation is better is when the adaptor takes the existing story and goes somewhere new with it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but at least it's an original creation.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to agree with lijakaca (how do you pronounce that?)

At least, for the most part. I always like to appreciate the manga and anime as two separate stories, and leave it at that. It's more enjoyable that way. But as far as saying what's better, it's usually whatever came first. That product is in the original artist's hands, and no one can tell a story like the one who gave birth to it, you know? It tends to develop more organically in the original creator's hands.

That being said, there are exceptions. Most people are gonna disagree with me here, but...*glances at avatar* Trigun makes a better anime than manga. It just does. The manga (which I have read all current volumes of, I'm not just saying this unfoundedly) is confusingly written, and the characters are neither as realistic or sympathetic. You do get more background info in the manga, but I think that's to be expected. Apart from that, the manga blitzes through its own story, is rife with humor where none is needed, (although when it is needed, it's darn funny) and ties itself up in knots over bloody action sequences that make you go, "How'd I end up here?" over the course of two pages.

That, and the Trigun anime was emotionally touching. I can't really say the same of the manga, not even when I read it after falling in love with the characters from the anime.
lijakaca

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:48 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
I'd have to agree with lijakaca (how do you pronounce that?)

Laughing Well it's just a screen name, basically Jill backwards with -aka (like in Tanaka) tacked on, and then ca with a soft c. Lij-aka-sa.

Quote:

That being said, there are exceptions. Most people are gonna disagree with me here, but...*glances at avatar* Trigun makes a better anime than manga. It just does. The manga (which I have read all current volumes of, I'm not just saying this unfoundedly) is confusingly written, and the characters are neither as realistic or sympathetic. You do get more background info in the manga, but I think that's to be expected. Apart from that, the manga blitzes through its own story, is rife with humor where none is needed, (although when it is needed, it's darn funny) and ties itself up in knots over bloody action sequences that make you go, "How'd I end up here?" over the course of two pages.

That, and the Trigun anime was emotionally touching. I can't really say the same of the manga, not even when I read it after falling in love with the characters from the anime.

Yeah, some adaptations are great at taking something that worked well in the original, leaving out what didn't, and making it a whole new creation. The problem comes when there's nothing wrong with the original, so the adaptation has nowhere to go but down - unless it does something completely fresh.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Anime adaptions are usually better when they take risks and deviate from the original storyline, rather than follow it closely. After all, how can you surpass the orginal when you are copying it scene by scene? Of course, there are plenty of anime that took their own path, sometimes to disastrous results... But many of my favorite anime are different from the manga counterparts, even superior. Hunter x Hunter, Revolutionary Girl Utena, and Excel Saga(though I love the manga version too, because it's got Elgala) added new scenes, characters, or completely changed the story, and they all were much better for it.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Dranxis wrote:
Anime adaptions are usually better when they take risks and deviate from the original storyline, rather than follow it closely. After all, how can you surpass the orginal when you are copying it scene by scene? Of course, there are plenty of anime that took their own path, sometimes to disastrous results... But many of my favorite anime are different from the manga counterparts, even superior. Hunter x Hunter, Revolutionary Girl Utena, and Excel Saga(though I love the manga version too, because it's got Elgala) added new scenes, characters, or completely changed the story, and they all were much better for it.

Exceptions to that, too. With, I don't know, maybe six or seven not-quite-major differences, the Death Note anime is verbatim the equivalent to its manga in dialogue, tone, even some of the panels are copied. And it's been rated one of the best anime by a lot of people.
lijakaca

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

Exceptions to that, too. With, I don't know, maybe six or seven not-quite-major differences, the Death Note anime is verbatim the equivalent to its manga in dialogue, tone, even some of the panels are copied. And it's been rated one of the best anime by a lot of people.

Well, no offense, but a lot of people think an anime is amazing because they haven't seen much else, or haven't read the manga.

There's nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't take their opinion as being informed. I can't comment specifically on Death Note as I haven't seen it, but it sounds like people love it more because it's a faithful adaptation of a great manga, not because it's great in itself. Nothing wrong with that either, but do people prefer the anime over the manga? Or have they just not read it?

Or maybe it's like Lord of the Rings - the movies were pretty faithful to the books, so they didn't add any original bits, but just adapted them very well, with excellent music, cinematography, and acting.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I personally go with the source material of the series when possible. While a lot of the manga to anime translations are perfectly fine, i usually see little reason to own both. I still avoid anime to manga books like the plague because they are often a 26 ep series shoved into 2 manga volumes (such as Princess Tutu, whose anime I adore, but whose manga I wouldn't touch because shoving 26 eps into 10 manga chapters is not destined to produce gold, or even bronze, particulary for a series whose musical score means something to me *look at username*)
Every so often though, I see things like Cromartie High School where the anime seems to be a compliment to the manga. While a LOT more things happen in the manga than the anime, the spoiler[Cromartie Girl's High School] for example only happens in the anime. The art in Cromartie manga can also be a little difficult to look at and the anime is more crisp and clear here. A situation like this would probably give win to an overall preference of manga or anime (although I couldn't resist either for Cromartie).
Then there are a few things which are radically different from the source material, but still very good in its own right. Metropolis is a perfect example of this as the manga is almost unrecognizable from the movie. Characters like Rock and Tima aren't even in the original manga, as the movie version was based more on the Fritz Lang movie than the manga.
While I usually will only stick to a series' anime or manga, usually depending on which one was the source material (usually the manga), or which one is available in America (hence why I have the Monster manga and not anime, although I actually prefer the anime for Monster). I dont think that the manga is always better than the anime, for me its more a question of "is it different good? is it different bad? or is it different different?"
Cherry T

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:00 am Reply with quote
i think reading mangas requires a lot of imagination. but it is not always better than the anime version.let's take an example.if you are intrested in an anime that contains a lot of fight such as dragon ball or gundam then you'd better watch it than read it because it will look so boring on papers.plus there is a lot of vivacity and emotion in the anime version and it is always easier to listen and watch than read because the music and the sounds of actors make the story a better one!although manga is not a bad choice if you are intrested in romantic ones like ah my godess,love hina or karin!
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:49 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, as the others had already mentioned, manga and anime compliments each other.

I like anime because it gives life to the drawing. Color, music, voice and movements etc. While in the other hand, (story wise) sometimes anime version tend to leave some parts of the manga or revise the story lines. Although these revisions can either destroy or surpass the manga version. And in manga you can savor each of your favorite scenes and you can go back always, rather than rewinding it back in anime. But both has it's own charm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7