• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mainstream anime vs.Lesser-known titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
motherboyxx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:25 pm Reply with quote
i agree that Mainstream is a relative term. I watch some stuff that i don’t really consider mainstream (ie played on AS) but it can be fairly popular ne way. However most of my anime i get from Netflix and therefore has to have an element of "mainstream" to it . I think i pretty much prefer good anime and don’t care how many people like it or on what networks it is played.
Anthony P

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:26 pm Reply with quote
pyrex wrote:
I don't think thats accurate. I've had Netflix for like a year, and had a couple of DVDs arrive cracked. And I've yet to be charged for one.

I've been a netflix subscriber off and on for over three years now, and I've had about five or six DVDs arrive either cracked or too scratched to play. Every time, I simply report it as having arrived damaged, and I've never once been charged.

naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Pyrex,that the problem with a shipper or Netflick. So,they should not charge for some else besides your self. But what if you break it accidently and I think they bill you a subcharge for its getting broke. I not should about this so can someone please clarify this matter for me?

While it wouldn't be an honest thing to do, if you were to accidentally break a DVD, you could just report it as having arrived damaged, and the people at netflix wouldn't care. Netflix moves such a large volume of DVDs that they're not going to bother over an occasional broken one here and there. Unless you would plan on accidentally breaking a large number of DVDs, you wouldn't have any reason to worry.

kyokun703 wrote:
I don't rent because my anime watching fluctuates wildly, so sometimes I go for months without watching any because I'm busy doing something else (video games).

It is really easy to cancel and re-start a netflix subscription, though. I must've cancelled and re-subscribed about a dozen times or so by now.
Ahiru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:

Let me spell it out for you: R-E-N-T. Other than catching anime on the airwaves when possible, renting is the best way to go in my opinion (especially with a lesser known titles), and I'm sure many people here on ANN agree.

Something that has worked great for me has been the local library. I've checked out over a hundred titles from the library so far. It's only slightly less convenient than Netflix - I can browse the county-wide system and place holds online, and pick them up when they come in.

Between the libary and Netflix, I haven't purchased anything blind. I buy my fair share of anime, but it's all stuff I know I love, and will want to watch again.
pixiebell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I think that Netflix is fantastic! I love the fact that I can try before I buy. I have only had one DVD arrive to scratched to play. I have had a couple get lost in the mail though, but they had no problem sending me replacements. I think it is a great investment, I have seen quite a few great anime that I doubt I would have had the pleasure of viewing otherwise. Smile
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:08 am Reply with quote
LeoKnight25 wrote:
To me at least, I don't think Mainstream anime are any better or that much more worth your time than lesser known titles...What I'm trying to say really is that don't worry about what's mainstream or what's not. It doesn't mean the show will appeal to you. Don't just buy into something because it's popular or considered mainstream. I walk in to my local Best Buy or Suncoast and cruise until I see something good unless I'm on a mission to find something specifically. There are tons and tons of great anime out there that aren't considered mainstream. Anything older than 1995 is generally not considered mainstream and there were hundreds of great titles made before then. It all boils down to personal taste, and even then try new things. If you only stick with what you know, then that makes for pretty boring viewing. If you see something that catches your eye but, don't want to take a chance- read a review online or in a magazine or just ask a friend. Hope I haven't rambled on too much. Embarassed

What LeoKnight said! Wink

Just because it's "mainstream" doesn't mean that you will necessary like it. I love Fullmetal Achemist, which I would consider to be mainstream, but there are people here on ANN who would rather have their eyeballs forcibly removed with toothpicks than to watch it again. I feel that way about Dragon Ball, etc and Naruto. Everyone has different tastes.

BUT, don't limit yourself. Try watching older titles, whether it's on TV, rentals or buying on a whim. I'm trying to do that myself. Some of the animation and sound get to me a little bit with some of the older titles but if it hooks you in...trust me, you don't really notice.

Rummage around in the Encyclopedia, look at the publice "My Anime" lists or click on the "Random Fun" links for something different that you possbily haven't heard about or thought about. It might be fun!

And if you buy a title and you don't like it, trade it in someplace for something that you do like.
jetz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:52 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
And if you buy a title and you don't like it, trade it in someplace for something that you do like.

I'm lucky that the shop where I get all my DVDs allow trade-ins. That way when I am unhappy with what I bought, I can just replace it. In fact, they even said that if I'm finished with whatever DVD I bought, I can return it and trade it in for something else. I guess it's because I stop by every week, or maybe they're just nice..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2