• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[OT]Genshiken PVC figures

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chicogrande

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this is "off-topic," but I wanted to see how many Genshiken fans had gone and purchased the PVC figures available of the characters. I have not purchased any yet. In fact, I have never purchased any PVC figures before, but I have just run across the figure for Ogiue Chika and I was filled with a terrible urge to get it. Embarassed

I have seen the ones available for Saki Kasukabe and Kanako Ohno, but it wasn't until I saw Ogiue-san that I got thinking. Purchasing PVC figures is the ultimate fan action. Do other fans look down on those who purchase PVC figures? In some way, it seems like crossing a line. I mean, what is a male fan gonna do with a female character figure, or is that an unfair (loaded) question?

Last edited by chicogrande on Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:21 pm Reply with quote
chicogrande wrote:
I'm not sure if this is "off-topic," but I wanted to see how many Genshiken fans had gone and purchased the PVC figures available of the characters.

I have a Saki-chan sitting on a chair, with her student council chairperson cosplaying costume: http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B000ASA016/ Another one has her eyes too large and cutesy, somewhat losing her volatile and sarcastic personality, thus I didn't pick it up.

chicogrande wrote:
Purchasing PVC figures is the ultimate fan action.

Far from it. Making unfinished, unpainted garage kits (not just buying finished ones) is the ultimate. Among them, those who can even advance to start with clay on steel wires are semi-professionals.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kolibri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:33 pm Reply with quote
...I actually have both of those Saki statues Embarassed

I ordered the one sitting on a chair which I think is really pretty, and they sent me the standing one instead. So I kept that and they sent me the right one, I think I got a discount of it which seemed easier than sending it back (in my twisted mind).

I got that statue because I thought it would be an ultimate geek-out, to buy a Genshiken statue of a character cosplaying... So ok, I didn't have to assemble and paint it, but still Wink In any case it now sits in my living room next to my Naruto and FMA figures, and my hubby's Final Fantasy ones.

I think the sitting one is much nicer - the colours and the construction is much more detailed. The standing one is a bit more simple and the colours are not as soft. The sitting one can be difficult to find, I think it's discontinued.

And colour me blue, but I don't think that first statue is of Ogiue - she never cosplays... it's Kujibiki Unbalance figure, right?
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quote
chicogrande wrote:
I'm not sure if this is "off-topic," but I wanted to see how many Genshiken fans had gone and purchased the PVC figures available of the characters.

I did. I own the ones of Ohno and Saki cosplaying and also the pervy one of Ohno getting dressed/undressed. I'd like to add the one of Ogiue and the one of the President to my little Genshiken shelf someday. It's just way too easy to become obsessed with figures...

Quote:
I mean, what is a male fan gonna do with a female character figure, or is that an unfair (loaded) question?

Probably just put it on a shelf and admire it. I'm not a guy so I can't really answer that but I collect and I would never risk damage to my male character figures just to feel them up. I sleep next to my Athrun figures not with them. But maybe guys are different...?

kolibri wrote:
And colour me blue, but I don't think that first statue is of Ogiue - she never cosplays... it's Kujibiki Unbalance figure, right?

I think it is Ogiue. In chapter 31 that's the character she cosplays as (only for a few minutes though).
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:31 am Reply with quote
digitalkikka wrote:

Probably just put it on a shelf and admire it. I'm not a guy so I can't really answer that but I collect and I would never risk damage to my male character figures just to feel them up. I sleep next to my Athrun figures not with them. But maybe guys are different...?

Athrun is one of my only male figures, and I actually had a friend think he was a girl especially since his Zaft outfit is blowing in the wind like a skirt! I really wish that the Megahouse Gundam characters were the same scale as the B-Club since 1/8 Athrun also looks like he is a good foot shorter than 1/6 Captain Marrue Ramius who he is currently standing next to! There even seems to be a discrepancy amongst 1/8 kits since my 1/8 Saber is a good head taller than my other 1/8 Saber!

I also get nit picky with my mecha and found it upsetting that my Gundam Fix f-91 stands almost as high as my Gundam Fix Ex-S Gundam. At least the MG line gets it right since most MG kits barely reach the EX-S' waist.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:31 am Reply with quote
I love collecting PVC figures . I have the standing Saki and standing Kanako in cosplay, as well as the Kujibiki President. I'd really like one of Madarame but that one's never going to be made. I'm the type who would choose a character that I like over a character design/sculpt that I like.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I want them...i want them all!

But yeah PVC collecting is the ultimate geek out of any series. But its loved and i love it. I only have FMA and DQ8 ones but was the genshiken one import only?

Also i always wondered what PVC stood for? Plastic Vinyl Collectable, i guessing?

also theres a pic of all of them together this amv

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gSkvx_5LJSI
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
Also i always wondered what PVC stood for? Plastic Vinyl Collectable, i guessing?

It describes the type of plastic used, polyvinyl chloride. Different additives cause different results. The same PVC in plumbing pipes is used in vinyl chairs and clothe. If you've ever opened a PVC figure and gotten a strong odder from it that's the plasticizer used to make the PVC soft, that's why hard plastic figures don't have the odder that soft PVC figures do. Its low cost and ease of use makes it very favorable for toys.

Anyway, the only Genshiken set I've really been interested in is the club set. Just haven't been very big on the cosplay figures even though they do look nice, and there are a few cosplay figures in that set.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sykosteve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:34 pm Reply with quote
PVC stands for Polyvinyl chloride

I love figure collecting. I've only actually bought figures once though, at my last convention. They're all Gashapon, which is kind hard to find in stores without having to fork over an arm and a leg v_v

I want some PVC figures as well, but those are really pricey, and I honestly don't have enough room for figures of their scale Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1