• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
OMG Transformers Optimus <-- insert Gatsu-ism here.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:01 am Reply with quote
Now most of know that there is going to be a Transformers movie coming out pretty soon and as some of you have seen (and heard) you can finally hear what the big man sounds like here. Personally I didn't think it was that bad, but then again I am not a crazy Transformer fan so I am interested to hear what the folks think about this new spot.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:43 am Reply with quote
I'm a huge transformers fan. I've watched the many shows since I was a kid. The animated movie is still my favorite in the Transformers Universe. People actually died for once, OMG say it aint so! Shocked I was weary when I heard about a live action movie. So far the clips seem very nice and Michael Bay is doing this well from what I can see so far. It's not being made to look hokey and stupid. The clips all seem "dark" in their presence when I watch them. I hope they can keep that tone throughout the movie. It'll be interesting to see a list of the people doing the voices for the various autobots and decepticons.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:47 am Reply with quote
It's deep, but it's still Prime. The short snippet isn't nearly enough to judge. More than anything it's his mouth that is going to shock people, but I got used to that during Beast Wars and Cybertron. People just need to keep reminding themselves that this isn't G1.

A friend of mine had a little fun with the video. Thirsty indeed, Prime.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 pm Reply with quote
The movie is going to be fun, that's how I feel about it, as well as my brother. The movie is not going to be the same as Beast Wars or G1, no, it is a modern adaption of what was a big hit back in the day. Bringing it to a newer generation, and making nostalgic for the older one.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Just wanna drop in my two cents. I can't stand Bay or his big shot attitude. I got a feeling this is going to be terrible like X-men 3 was. A big mindless action flick with a director who doesn't get the characters and just does his thing. I'll be sitting this one out. I wish others would stop catering to big shots like Bay, but that's your choice. If you just want to go see a fun movie, I shouldn't stop you.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:16 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Just wanna drop in my two cents. I can't stand Bay or his big shot attitude. I got a feeling this is going to be terrible like X-men 3 was. A big mindless action flick with a director who doesn't get the characters and just does his thing. I'll be sitting this one out. I wish others would stop catering to big shots like Bay, but that's your choice. If you just want to go see a fun movie, I shouldn't stop you.

I agree that Bay has at times done some strange and completely stupid moves, but as long as people keep seeing his movies, every studio in town in going to throw money at him. Like you noted X-Men III wasn't that great (just to note I am not an X-men fan but Bryan made two films that I enjoyed) but guess what X-men III was the biggest box office hit of the three......I robably won't see TF, but then again I hardly go to the movies anymore considering it's nearly $10 a ticket.
10円

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
I robably won't see TF, but then again I hardly go to the movies anymore considering it's nearly $10 a ticket.

You pay $10 a ticket and for what? Well, you get super-gouging at the snack stand, even just for water that they prevent you from bringing in on your own. You also get noisy and disgusting brats running around screaming their heads off. Don't forget unclean seats and sticky floors with a nice musty odor of stained carpeting and chemical deodorizer that makes you want to upchuck your last meal. Then the movie finally starts, oh wait, it's just the television-style commercials. Maybe after a few of those we'll finally get to see the lowest common denominator claptrap that appeals to people who have no concept of art or physics. Count me out.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:02 pm Reply with quote
After looking at his face and hearing his voice. t's not so bad. This movie will probably be excellent and not a failure. I guess mabey GATSU should realize that the movie's concepts aren't going to be that bad.

I know other Optimus Primes that had mouths like that. Optimus Primal and Cybertron Optimus Prime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:10 pm Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
You pay $10 a ticket and for what? Well, you get super-gouging at the snack stand, even just for water that they prevent you from bringing in on your own. You also get noisy and disgusting brats running around screaming their heads off.

One thing that's nice about my local (not really local, seeing as how my local theaters is overrun by shootings and drug deals) theater is that you can bring any food or drinks you want, but as for other movie goers ruining your experience; I'm of the mind set if that ever happens during my film I am first guy at the customer service booth asking for my money back. And since enough people have done that at least now the ushers come in and check the theaters now to make sure that isn't happening.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'm rather torn on how this is gonna turn out. One the one hand, I know this isn't going to be Generation 1 or anything that came before but, on the other hand...I'm not sure I like how the characters are being handled. I just don't understand Hollywood's tendencies to change aspects of story or characters that made them great characters to begin with. This is just too much of a departure from even the newer Transformers stuff. If they were gonna go for a reboot, why not take story cues from the new IDW Transformers comics by Simon Furman and E.J. Su? That's a very well done reboot of the series that stays true to the characters and situations in Transformers. This just seems like another big Independance Day/wanna-be disaster flick/alien invasion flick with giant robots thrown in. The concept designs are honestly horrible, with Megatron looking more like a Terminator than anything else. I'm just not sold on this. I'll more than likely see it to get a feel for the film and see if it can be judged on it's own merits but, I'll definitely go in with a lot of trepidation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:52 pm Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
Deltakiral wrote:
I robably won't see TF, but then again I hardly go to the movies anymore considering it's nearly $10 a ticket.

You pay $10 a ticket and for what? Well, you get super-gouging at the snack stand, even just for water that they prevent you from bringing in on your own. You also get noisy and disgusting brats running around screaming their heads off. Don't forget unclean seats and sticky floors with a nice musty odor of stained carpeting and chemical deodorizer that makes you want to upchuck your last meal. Then the movie finally starts, oh wait, it's just the television-style commercials. Maybe after a few of those we'll finally get to see the lowest common denominator claptrap that appeals to people who have no concept of art or physics. Count me out.

That's why you bring your own flask of "juice" and have a blast. You trip the brats when they run past you and act like they slipped on spilled soda. You also take their jacket right off of the little bastards and use that to sit on so you're not sitting in the filth. During the commercials is the perfect time to read some PA before the lights get cut. Just some ideas Twisted Evil
Cuprin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I was a comic book collector long before I was an anime fan (and at my age, that says a lot).

Like many of the comic adaptations over the years, I hope for the best, but brace myself for the worst. Too many times though, the fans up asking themselves if the writers EVER read one of the books the movie was based on.

With computer special effects, the movie makers are taking more risks on brining things to "life", but they're forgetting that somewhere there has to be a PLOT in the midst of it all. Sometimes they get it right. Usually they get it wrong. And at $10 a pop before snacks, it's painful when they get it wrong.

So far all we've seen is little snips, even the trailers flash the screens too fast to really get a good look at what we're going to see. And usually, that's a bad thing. If they're banking so much on the effects, they probaby skimped on the storyline. We can HOPE this isn't the case, but I won't be out there opening day.
DaZ616

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:14 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
I agree that Bay has at times done some strange and completely stupid moves, but as long as people keep seeing his movies, every studio in town in going to throw money at him. Like you noted X-Men III wasn't that great (just to note I am not an X-men fan but Bryan made two films that I enjoyed) but guess what X-men III was the biggest box office hit of the three......I robably won't see TF, but then again I hardly go to the movies anymore considering it's nearly $10 a ticket.

Thats why i go to the movies on tuesday-"Tight arse tuesday" which is only $AUD 8.50 for a ticket at greater union....yes... im a tightarese:D

I cant wait for the Transformers movie. i hope i dont get disappointed because some movies when they base it off a animated series or a game usually is crap. i better not expect too much.

-DaZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Alright then, I'm gong to see the movie at Botcon on June 28 ($25 RI charity showing) so when I get back on July 1st I'll give a mini-review. And if you're lucky I'll be totally burned out on Transformers and it'll be completely unbiased. Wink

The list of charities can bee seen at Botcon.com. They'll likely make around $25k on this event alone.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1