• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Girls & Panzer Anime's English Dub Cast Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
There should be no accents because everyone in the show is Japanese.

That kind of logic just blew my mind.

Is it because we all know the Japanese language has no accents {My favorite is Okinawan, it's just so fribly.}? Is it because all these tank clubs are playing as nationalities and as part of that, they take on accents of that nation in Japanese with throwing in bits of speaking Russian and English?

Is it because the dub should be in Japanese? Is it because you don't like fun? It's that one, isn't it?
bs3311

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Happy happy day! went to a con and I come home too see no severe critisism on the dub cast........so far! Laughing

I'm impressed as everyone else on how this cast is looking good. Mix of Old and New seem to be the strong point IMO.

MadMan400096 wrote:
Yeah, she's just been acting for New York after the Excel Saga incident.

That so called, "incident" turned into a 10000 degree inferno when people decided it was fun to spam threats and incredibally poor constructed critisim at her. Whom was doing an A list job IMO as a character that constantly speaks as a crazy lunatic girl but for the cost of her voice. Hearing how she got threatend and booed so much that she became constantly scared of ever acting again who decided to act somewhere else makes me sick of all the so called "fans" thinking they were making a name of themselves on basically bullying her to near mental death.

Greg Ayres said that his brother comforted her into coming back to the Texas booth since in this day and age actors are able to fight back or stand up to the critisism since the Anime VA industry has evolved into such a strong community. If any fans critisize or give death threats to Jessica, then ol Rial and other actors will be there to help. this brings tears in my eye on how great they all are T^T.

On all the work she has done in Exel Saga, she earned a spot in my heart. Both english actresses in Exel are phenomenal in there own way. You can give them constructed critisism, NOT DEATH THREATS OR CAPS WITH RAGE COMMENTS YOU LOWLIFES!!!

Not directing to anyone in forums Embarassed

SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
1. The only downside is that I have no idea what to expect from this dub.

2. you put it on the same level as the even worse dubs for Angel Beats and Little Busters where the dialogue doesn't even sound the slightest bit natural? Do you even have ears?

Just to let your know I agree on some of your first paragraph points. But:

1. I don't see the problem since that happens with every dub. Bang, Funi, NYT, etc. Unless your talking about no preview clips. Then you can hear 15 sec of it here: http://instagram.com/p/gMSKvfwlkq/

Still not enough? then I understand.

Everyone should know the #1 rule is that the moeism is going to be toned down when dubbed. No "if's" Tank's or "Butt's". Yet when watching this subbed I could not get a moe glee moment except for a single character.

2. Really? I can agree that Kannon is the best out of all key dubs. But you consider Angel Beats and Little Busters dub to be un"natural"? Define natural, I take that into reality standards. Were talking about cartoons, not stage plays. Kannons voices both dub and sub are unatural, all of keys works sub are unatural, nearlly all of anime voice acting both the east and west are unatural unless they are scifi crime/reality drama romance. Beck dub sounds natural, Ghost In The Shell sounds natural, Garden of Words sounds natural, Garden of Sinners is natural so see what I'm getting at.

And I disagree on Little Busters being a bad dub. I watched this subbed thinking the dub would go the bad moe acted route, but was corrected with a good casted dub. Even with Tia Ballard on board!? Greg impressed me as Masato since the japanese VA voiced Guts (which I find weak compared to Marc's Guts) which made me think of a diffferent idea for whom to act, but hearing Greg do it was not only acceptable but a breath of fresh air. Brittney Karb fit the cat like/snippy personality I was getting from the japanese VA. Less cute, but still cute. Overal, good performance IMO.

But if you were annoyed with honorifics. Then I understand again.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Who is the demographic for this show? Tank Otaku....this will not end well.

If they made one about anime girls and call of duty then maybe.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Who is the demographic for this show? Tank Otaku....this will not end well.

If they made one about anime girls and call of duty then maybe.

are you unaware of just how popular this show is?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Maybe he has been hiding under a rock.

Then again, ANN pretty much avoided anything about Girls und Panzer when it comes to review. There was no streaming review of the title despite being streamed on Crunchyroll and Bamboo knocked it off quickly on The Stream for reasons that were never explained beyond her not getting over the basic premise itself.

Maybe when the BD gets released over here it'll have its day in the shine here on ANN.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:50 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
Jessica Calvello, Shelley, and Rozie Curtis! It's like a mini-Those Who Hunt Elves reunion.

Although I wonder what ever happened to Kelly Manison...
As do I. Except for that one minor role that she had in 2010 she hasn't been around.

While I'm a fan of SCB (when she isn't miscast) I still don't think that she holds a candle to Manison. They're similar, but SCB is still the runner-up in my book.

I'll be checking out this show solely for the dub. Hopefully it (the dub) will live up to most of the hype.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:57 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
ANN pretty much avoided anything about Girls und Panzer when it comes to review. There was no streaming review of the title despite being streamed on Crunchyroll and Bamboo knocked it off quickly on The Stream for reasons that were never explained beyond her not getting over the basic premise itself.

Yeah... I kept waiting for someone to review the series, like ANN reviews other series that have streamed, but no luck. They reviewed lesser (yeah, "to me") series, and ignored one of the more interesting sports anime in recent history.

Quote:
Maybe when the BD gets released over here it'll have its day in the shine here on ANN.

Since they almost completely ignored it before, they'll probably ignore it again.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:12 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:

Quote:

Since they almost completely ignored it before, they'll probably ignore it again.

That's probably preferable than somebody reviewing it who doesn't really want to review it.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:26 am Reply with quote
This is just one of those shows where if you're sick of "moe" or "otaku pandering" setups, you'll go in, give it 10 minutes, and then give up on it. The problem with this show is that if you don't give it until the first tank battle (Episode 2/3?), you won't understand why so many love this show. For me it's the ridiculously tense and awesome tank battles with a knack for using real tank battle tactics.

Also, the directors "no panty shot" policy was pretty awesome - it even ended up delaying some episodes when the director saw one of the animators was trying to sneak one in (or so I heard). I think that was probably one of the more endearing parts of the show.

The fact that they delayed the last episodes by a couple months so that they could rewrite certain scenes to allow for a movie, the Anzio OVA, and an entire franchise speaks volumes of how popular this show was - and even how much the creators underestimated the selling power of the universe they created.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, the directors "no panty shot" policy was pretty awesome - it even ended up delaying some episodes when the director saw one of the animators was trying to sneak one in (or so I heard). I think that was probably one of the more endearing parts of the show.

Whoa! Seriously?! Episodes got delayed because someone tried to sneak in undie shots?! Wow, people in this industry actually have some dignity and sense?! Yay!

...guess I might have to start watching the dub when it comes out.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:42 am Reply with quote
I think Greg Ayres would have been a fabulous addition to this dub cast! Seriously!

Maybe he can voice a cat or something that wanders on screen, since there are no men in GuP... (Ok, there's that one guy, but he doesn't count. NOT REAL.)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:17 am Reply with quote
As for men, plenty of background villagers (particularly the guy who gets his shop destroyed), Hana's family butler/servant/assistant guy, Yukari's father, and the katsudon shop owner.

What I found amusing was that the staff not only modeled the buildings in the town after the actual city of Ooarai but that the townspeople themselves were also modeled after the actual townspeople of Ooarai.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:19 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:

Whoa! Seriously?! Episodes got delayed because someone tried to sneak in undie shots?! Wow, people in this industry actually have some dignity and sense?! Yay!

all we know is that they ran into some major production issues and had to delay two episodes because of it. doubtful a panty shot would cause that long of a delay
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:03 am Reply with quote
Rokk3000 wrote:
Unfortunately I have advance news from Sentai that Girls und Panzer will have non-selectable subs."

I wonder if this is for both DVD and BD or just for BD.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:17 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
FireChick wrote:
Quote:

all we know is that they ran into some major production issues and had to delay two episodes because of it. doubtful a panty shot would cause that long of a delay

The delay was caused by a re-write in script - the show was originally intended to have a final ending, but had to change it to allow for an extension to the franchise (the movie, spinoffs, merchandise, etc.).

That's probably among other things - I don't think something small like a panty shot would've delayed it that much either, but you can notice small things like that as a director when you look over the animators work before they move past the initial animation stages.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5