• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is the manga version always better than the anime version?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:14 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
mdauben wrote:
All the manga that are adapted from anime I have ever seen seem to be amazingly bad. Rolling Eyes

You can't have seen many good anime then, since I think I can safely say that the majority of anime are adaptations of manga, though certain there are exceptions (and also a decent number adapted from other sources).

marie, you have it backwards, he said that manga adapted FROM anime are bad, not the other way around. And I hate to agree, but I haven't really seen an example where that ISN'T the case (although when the two are made in tandem, like Sadamoto's Evangelion manga, the results aren't too bad).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Occasionally you might see a manga to anime adaption that turns out for the better, but generally it's because of great art and animation working together, along with wonderful music. Sprinkle on some good direction and you might have a winner.

But those are few a far between, and like others have said, I usually look to the original material in any medium and more often than naught favor it.

jgreen wrote:
(although when the two are made in tandem, like Sadamoto's Evangelion manga, the results aren't too bad).

Reading Sadamoto's manga adaption of Evangelion is more or less like reading a fanfiction story that copies the general storyline of whatever anime/manga it is. There's something passable there, and I suppose good when looked at solely based on its merits... but jeezus, talk about no experimentation, inconsistant and clichéd characterization, and just overall redundancy. Heck, it's even worse when Sadamoto actually does a copy+paste of the actual anime material (chapter seventy-five, I think it was, which is not available in English through legal means, was an exact play-by-play of a scene in The End of Evangelion). I don't know where the heck he's going thematically with this, and he seems to infatuated with Rei to even bother giving any other characters any real depth (not that Rei isn't much more than a plot device, in any case).

Ahem, that aside...

I echo mdauben's statement for the most part on anime to manga adaptions. FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Samurai Champloo, RahXephon, etc. are just utterly underwhelming compared to their animated counterparts.
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
I echo mdauben's statement for the most part on anime to manga adaptions. FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Samurai Champloo, RahXephon, etc. are just utterly underwhelming compared to their animated counterparts.

Actually, one anime-to-manga adaptation that I didn't mind was No Need For Tenchi! It wasn't as great as the original OAVs, by any means, but it was highly enjoyable on its own merits and right from the beginning branched off to tell its own stories.

Another one to add to the list of bad adaptations is the 2-volume Abenobashi manga. YIKES.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:36 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
marie, you have it backwards, he said that manga adapted FROM anime are bad, not the other way around. And I hate to agree, but I haven't really seen an example where that ISN'T the case (although when the two are made in tandem, like Sadamoto's Evangelion manga, the results aren't too bad).

Embarassed

Sorry, I've been misreading things a lot lately. I blame exams (last term of university, hurrah!).

Now that I read it right...I definitely agree. Not that I've seen too many cases, but the ones I have were not all that great. It's similar to movie novelizations...only the very rare one is actually any good (but they do exist...all three novelizations for the Star Wars prequel trilogy are better than the movies, IMO...even the one for Revenge of the Sith which was actually a pretty good movie).
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:45 am Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
Sometimes when I look up a certain anime title, and I would see comments about it, a handful of people would always say "The manga version was better, yada yada yada"

First of all - it varies. After all, it's two different groups of people working manga and anime - when it comes to a particular series. Therefore, interpretations will vary. Plus, it's two different types of media - with one being more expensive (anime) than the other (manga).

HellKorn wrote:
Occasionally you might see a manga to anime adaption that turns out for the better, but generally it's because of great art and animation working together, along with wonderful music. Sprinkle on some good direction and you might have a winner.

Some good wholesome Rozen Maiden is in order. Twisted Evil
jetz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:24 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:

Even though I haven't seen the manga versions of the anime you just mentioned, I don't think they'd be that good either. These series are full of action, and I think that's hard to portray in stills.

Also, just like what I realized earlier, it usually depends on what came first cause usually, people are most likely to stick to the original.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:48 am Reply with quote
I tend to read manga OR watch anime. Going from one version to the other, y'tend to notice similarity and differences as far as content is concerned. That got a bit annoying -- especially when a series turned out to be... not-so-great as the counterpart.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
I tend to read manga OR watch anime. Going from one version to the other, y'tend to notice similarity and differences as far as content is concerned. That got a bit annoying -- especially when a series turned out to be... not-so-great as the counterpart.

I definitely know what you mean about the annoying bit, but I still enjoy watching anime based off manga that I've read, or vice versa. Especially in the cases where the adaptation was good and any changes made helped the story rather than hindered it.
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:38 pm Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
Even though I haven't seen the manga versions of the anime you just mentioned, I don't think they'd be that good either. These series are full of action, and I think that's hard to portray in stills.

Any artist worth his salt can still illustrate action well, even in a "still" artform like manga. If you don't believe me, run (don't walk!) down to your nearest comic/book shop and buy Blade of the Immortal this instant.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:20 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
jetz wrote:

Any artist worth his salt can still illustrate action well, even in a "still" artform like manga. If you don't believe me, run (don't walk!) down to your nearest comic/book shop and buy Blade of the Immortal this instant.

Or Berserk, or Claymore, or X, or Battle Angel Alita.......you get my point. You'd be quite surprised at how well action can be portrayed in stills. Sure, it's more fluid in anime, but in manga, it lets you break it down frame by frame, to see the skills of the characters and the skills of the artist. And sometimes, the stillness adds to the effect, such as in Claymore.
mdauben

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
You can't have seen many good anime then,

On the contrary, I have seen lots of good anime and I know that a large percentage (if not a majority) of anime has it's sourse in manga.

I don't think I have ever seen an anime that was adapted from a manga, that was better than the source material, however. Some of the best anime I have seen was as good as the manga it came from, but none of it has ever better than the manga.

I don't think this is due to any unconsious bias on my part for manga over anime. Given the choice, I will usually prefer to watch an anime to reading a manga, but the constraints of time and money often require anime adaptations to trim back on the depth of character and plot development that manga artists can routinly indulge in. And I consider character and plot development key elements of a good story. Smile

But what I was really saying was that when the anime comes first, the manga adaptations seem to be universally bad. Razz
Iritscen
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:45 pm Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
I wouldn't be so stupid by asking a question when I already know the answer.

Urd wrote:
Why do teachers exist then ? Sad

Well, I thought it was funny Urd Smile
smoochy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:01 pm Reply with quote
mdauben wrote:
marie-antoinette wrote:
You can't have seen many good anime then,

On the contrary, I have seen lots of good anime and I know that a large percentage (if not a majority) of anime has it's sourse in manga.

I don't think I have ever seen an anime that was adapted from a manga, that was better than the source material, however. Some of the best anime I have seen was as good as the manga it came from, but none of it has ever better than the manga.

I don't think this is due to any unconsious bias on my part for manga over anime. Given the choice, I will usually prefer to watch an anime to reading a manga, but the constraints of time and money often require anime adaptations to trim back on the depth of character and plot development that manga artists can routinly indulge in. And I consider character and plot development key elements of a good story. Smile

But what I was really saying was that when the anime comes first, the manga adaptations seem to be universally bad. Razz

Thats exactly what I said in one of the first posts...

I completely agree with everything you say here. Because it is what I stated, and I was correct.
jetz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
Sure, it's more fluid in anime, but in manga, it lets you break it down frame by frame, to see the skills of the characters and the skills of the artist. And sometimes, the stillness adds to the effect, such as in Claymore.

That actually makes sense.. I'll go check those out

Iritscen wrote:
jetz wrote:
I wouldn't be so stupid by asking a question when I already know the answer.

Urd wrote:
Why do teachers exist then ? Sad

Well, I thought it was funny Urd Smile

Still don't get it. Someone please explain this to me
Iritscen
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:59 am Reply with quote
jetz was treating your statement with an exaggerated extrapolation for comedic effect.

In other words, if it's stupid to ask questions you already know the answer to, why are we paying teachers every day to do exactly that? His way of saying it is funnier though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7