• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bad endings for otherwise good anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:56 am Reply with quote
I am the only who hate when good series end really badly. Examples of this is FMA,Ghost in the Shell,InuYasha,Trinity Blood and many more that I can not name of right now. What happen to these great series that do not get the great ending that its richly deserve. Did they ran out of money or ideas and decide to end series the badly. I know some series is suppose to make you use your imagination but I those that force you to do to get any answers and closure. Some feel they slap its together which is a insult to the craftsmanship of that anime

Last edited by naruto fan 09812 on Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:03 am Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Examples of this is FMA,Ghost in the Shell,InuYasha,Trinity Blood

Do you mind telling us why you think these series had bad endings? Personally, I thought Fullmetal Alchemist's ending was perfectly fine, and I have no idea which Ghost in the Shell you're even referring to (the first movie? Innocence? Stand Alone Complex? 2nd GIG? Solid State Society?). And since I personally regard Trinity Blood as one of the most insipid and unwatchable pieces of shite I've ever seen, I can't really think where the ending could really "ruin" an already ruined show.

So yeah. You need to go into detail, otherwise myself and others here will not know quite what you mean. Different people have different opinions, and in order to understand each others' opinions, being a little more specific and elaborate is kinda required.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:19 am Reply with quote
Ending Consistency. For an ending to be good, it must be consistent with the rest of the series. In a sense, it's best to maintain the story's continuity all the way to the end. Otherwise, to a viewer, it would feel like driving 50 mph into a speed bump.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:22 am Reply with quote
Hey,you didn't like Trinity Blood that was one of the best show in mine I have seen opinion. The reason I didn't like that ending because its seemed rush. We were just starting to learn the origns of Abel Nightroad. And out of nowhere a ending arc was badly done. The fight between his badly done was so badly its wasnt even funny. And how Abelspoiler[ free fall to earth and then they went to the cordination was so weak]
pyrex

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:39 am Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
Ending Consistency. For an ending to be good, it must be consistent with the rest of the series. In a sense, it's best to maintain the story's continuity all the way to the end. Otherwise, to a viewer, it would feel like driving 50 mph into a speed bump.

I think this is a good point. And I guess to some extent over the years I've had a hard time separating this from personal gratification of endings to series and I'll try to explain what i mean by this.

I can only really comment on FMA, as the other series I have not seen all the way through. But, I think FMA is consistent with what you expected to happen(atleast in my own mind). Now back to what I was mentioning on personal gratification part. Does the series end how i wanted it to? Not exactly. Does spoiler[Edward & Alphonse get re-united like maybe we had hoped for, obviously not at series end.] But does necessarily make the ending bad in regards to the series as a whole or just bad from a personal expectations?

I've said in some other posts I've made here in the past, that most anime ending are melancholy at best. You can feel let down on some personal levels because very few have a "happy ending" as it were. So through the years I've kind of learned to separate expectations on that level. I've come to learn that anime leaves alot of room for personal interpretation on final outcomes. My biggest pet peave on anime endings is how they have action through the first 25 & 1/2 episodes and then try to wrap everything up in the last 10-12 minutes of a series. For example, FMP comes to mind in this regard for me.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:57 am Reply with quote
I am going reference my post on Berserk because it's still one of the anime that I really like but my feeling about the ending basically made it so I am not going to ever see or read any more of it.

Also check out this thread, it's based off bad ending so you might want to browse through here if your interested.

I personally thought that the show (through end of series)spoiler[could have ended with the band of the hawk finding Griffin and having this sad ending(Griffin Dies). And it would kinda symbolize how it is impossible (or how difficult) to carry out a revolution or Cu-de-tah(sorry for spelling). I mean it you take out episode 1, and get rid of the that ending with Casca being rape (I felt sick to my stomach at this point) and just made it a Shakespearian ending. A la our Hero (I shy await from Protagonist since that is really Gutz) meets his doom from a tragic flaw.]] I am going to be honest if I had only seen the section mention above I would have given this show a Masterpiece, no questions asked. I ended up giving Berserk a Very Good, I nearly went to good but felt it unfair to drop it that far.
lmc87

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Ichigo 100% - The anime was entertaining and fun but compared to the manga there was NO ending what so ever. I haven't seen all the specials yet but i shouldn't have to in order to get an ending for the series i just watched.

Love Hina Again - Not so much an ending but this was frankly a terrible send off to Love Hina. Everything that happened in the series and christmas special seems to have no relevance to this and hardly any characters get screen time. They would have been better releasing another series.

One point i must make though. Any anime that ends in the last episode completley annoys me. I've seen it happen too many times that your only one or two episodes away from finishing something and they try and cram everything into one episode. I don't understand why they don't take their time and wind it down slowly rather than cram it all into one episode.
jetz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Definitely Yakitate!! Japan. I was so disappointed since I was expecting an hour long last episode but it only ended up to be a half hour. The last match was so important, and I felt like they tried to cram so much in just a half hour - like it was hurried or something. During the series there were so many hour long episodes and the matches in those episodes weren't even that important..

The same with BECK:Mongolian Chop Squad. I also felt it was hurried, and we didn't see much of Ryuusuke - kun at that episode. I did like the part spoiler[when audio of the scene when Koyuki first met Ryuusuke was sort of repeated, and Ryuusuke said "thanks for saving Beck."]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:46 pm Reply with quote
lmc87 wrote:
Ichigo 100% - The anime was entertaining and fun but compared to the manga there was NO ending what so ever. I haven't seen all the specials yet but i shouldn't have to in order to get an ending for the series i just watched.

Ah yes. Open Endings. Worthless when there's no sequel made to follow it up. I suppose the OVAs could be used as a follow up to that "ending". But, the OVAs turned out to be so crappy -- it's unwatchable.

lmc87 wrote:
One point i must make though. Any anime that ends in the last episode completley annoys me. I've seen it happen too many times that your only one or two episodes away from finishing something and they try and cram everything into one episode. I don't understand why they don't take their time and wind it down slowly rather than cram it all into one episode.

Like the first Negima series. While the series early on looked like it was gonna pretty much follow up the Ken Akamatsu manga -- then they suddenly decide to create an entirely new ending as if it was a last minute decision.

However, no matter what. Every anime ends on the last episode anyways. Though for a 26-episode series, they usually begin the ending around 23 to 25. What episode was it in Bebop when the group started splitting?
mdauben

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:57 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Examples of this is FMA,

I thought of the ending of the FMA series (and the movie, too, for that matter) was more unsatisfactory than bad. I just would have prefered if they had tied things up a bit more and resolved some of the remaining issues a little better. But I didn't hate it.

naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Trinity Blood and many more that I can not name of right right now.

It could be argued that this one does not count, as it was never a "good" anime to begine with. Razz

I think my own "winner" for this catagory is Mahoromatic: Automatic Maiden. This was a very enjoyable magic girlfriend/harem anime, with the absolute worst ending it has ever been my misfortune to watch. The ending was just sooo out of character with the whole rest of the series, I thought I had a mis-labled episode at first. This is the issue of consistancy mentioned by KyuuA4 earlier. You just don't tack a dark, depressing ending on a fun romantic comedy.

Gah! I still get pissed off just thinking about it. It just ruined the whole anime for me. Mad

Last edited by mdauben on Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
dgreater1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Now... I could definite add something here... and I bet most people will probably agree with me here Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Mai-Hime: For those who have seen this anime, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about... all the drama... the tears... the heartbreak... all of it went to the toilet because of the single episode Anime smile + sweatdrop. What I'm talking about is the last episode... Sure it was a happy ending... but that happy ending ruined everything for me Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop If they're aiming for a happy ending then, they should have at least made a more heart moving scene and not a silly scene where spoiler[everyone was resurrected as if nothing had happened.]

This is surely one of those high flying but suddenly, both engine went dead as they almost reach their destination anime.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quote
There are only two anime I have seen where the ending was SO BAD that it made me like the est of ther series less. I still LIKE both of them, and I even reccomend them to people who I think might like them, but I WAS planning on buying them, and now I am not. The endings were so bad that I didn't want to bother adding the series to my collection.

Those two aaarre..
Gilgamesh and Glass Fleet. These anime have the absolute worst endings I have ever seen. I dont mind ambiguous endings, like the ending of Full Metal Alchemist, as has been mentioned here, did not bother me. It was incomplete, but I think it was that way on purpose, alot of anime ends with a "this was just one peice of their lives" kind of a feel. And I dont mind that. But these two shows... oh my word. Terrible endings.
Gilgamesh was an AWSOME show, right up untill the very last episode. The entire series, your watching a very nice, slow, easy paced show. The mystery is... mysterious, and intrege is high. Then. all of a sudden, KWABLAM. spoiler[Their father is trying to destroy the world! Big battle to SAVE said world! Oops, didn't make it one time, THE WORLD IS DESTROYED! ] THE END! I was all like "O_O......WHA?"
It pretty much broke my bain, I couldnt even move for a few minutes, my brain still trying to process that catastrophy of an ending.

Glass Fleet on the other hand... heeh. Glass Fleet was like an emotional rollarcoaster the whole way through. It was fairly easy paced, and the pacing didn't change at the end. But one thing I loved about this series, is that it went to great lengths to make you REALLY HATE the villain. Sympathise with him, but also hate him to his very core. spoiler[Especially after he rapes Michelle, only to toss her away right after since she is a girl, and he is into guys.] The main hero, spoiler[who Michelle falls in love with,] is portrayed very well. BUT AT THE END. spoiler[He dies, and gives his life energy to the villain, and then the villain MAGICLY DECIDES TO BE GOOD, and Michelle decides to be with him. He is also magicly not gay anymore. And they are a happy couple, the villain taking the place of the hero completely, protecting the galaxy and all.]
It was defonatly quite the WTF ending. I hated it Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lmc87

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:21 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:

Like the first Negima series. While the series early on looked like it was gonna pretty much follow up the Ken Akamatsu manga -- then they suddenly decide to create an entirely new ending as if it was a last minute decision.

However, no matter what. Every anime ends on the last episode anyways. Though for a 26-episode series, they usually begin the ending around 23 to 25. What episode was it in Bebop when the group started splitting?

I agree, Completley random rushed endings can really destory a good series.

Bebop is one that done it correctley. It was episode 23 when they started to end it and wrap up the individuals stories while setting you up for the last episode. Then when episode 26 came it was purely focused on spike and then it ended, fantastic. They took thier time, they tied up loose ands and then let you have it. Everything just worked.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Love Hina Again spoiler[ so much from the last 4 volumes was taken out it wasnt even funny. Overall though I was just really upset they didn't have the wedding at the end.]

Inuyasha They could have atleast made up an ending that would conclude the series in some way. With the ending they used its like you wasted all that time watching the series.
Sun King

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
I am going reference my post on Berserk because it's still one of the anime that I really like but my feeling about the ending basically made it so I am not going to ever see or read any more of it.

I totally loved the ending of Berserk, I never expected any of that to happen, so I was just completely blown away when it did. In fact, the last few episodes are my favorites. And it was said ending that got me into the manga, so I could find out what happened afterwords. The manga makes references to the eclipse quite a few times before the event takes place, so you know something bad's gonna happen, you just don't know what. There's also alot of foreshadowing in volume 3 of the manga spoiler[where the first time we see Griffith he is already a demon, and it's said that to become a demon you need to sacrifice the people you love the most in order to throw away your humanity.] So if you had read the manga instead of watching the anime, you might have felt differently about the ending.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9