• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Manga Cut Short Due To Author's Health

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Araki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I was really expecting to see NANA, because the series was hugely popular when it was interrupted. I'm talking "more popular than everything not called One Piece", kinda like the SnK of a few years back. And i doubt it'll ever return.

here-and-faraway wrote:
Doesn't HunterxHunter keep getting delayed for health issues too? I know there are only seven spots on the list. Just wondering...

Nah, that's just laziness.

Putting togashi on the list would be offensive to authors who are actually ill. Laughing
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:
To add to the list of notable mentions (though it's not a manga), how about Guin Saga? It had 130 volumes written over 30 years until the writer, Kaoru Kurimoto, passed away.

From what I hear the main storyline finished a while ago, but she kept writing more novels due to the popularity of the series.
GVman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:

Doesn't HunterxHunter keep getting delayed for health issues too? I know there are only seven spots on the list. Just wondering...

Part of 'em are due to laziness like the fellow mentioned above, and the others are due to his wife falling ill, or so I've heard.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
there are some manga and LN don't get finish because the creator run out of idea. i think Haruhi is going to be the next one.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
This list just made me look at Bakuman a little differently. In that series, there are many things the protagonists are gambling on their dream of becoming bestselling comic creators, and health is definitely one of them -- an issue raised more than just once.

I wonder if Mitsuteru Yokoyama left any unfinished series behind. It's kind of hard to imagine that not being the case considering how prolific he was.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:

Part of 'em are due to laziness like the fellow mentioned above, and the others are due to his wife falling ill, or so I've heard.

She was pregnant with their daughter during one of his breaks so that's probably what really happened when it came to Takeuchi since she seems to be doing fine nowadays.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:28 am Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:
To add to the list of notable mentions (though it's not a manga), how about Guin Saga? It had 130 volumes written over 30 years until the writer, Kaoru Kurimoto, passed away.

Even the author considered the main story of Guin Saga finished around book 100. After that it basically becomes spin-offs, and extra stories about the world.
So it's not "cut short" in that sense, as Guin's story was completed as she had originally intended.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
You forgot With The Light: Raising an Autistic Child.

I was going to mention that one myself. One of my all-time favorite "underrated manga." It touched my heart so tremendously and at the same time provided a compelling story as well as an intelligent look into the special needs care system/programs available to Japanese families at the time.

Well done list, if unavoidably tragic.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:30 am Reply with quote
Looked up With the Light cause of the comments. Dammit, now theres another manga I wanna own, but of course its outta print T-T

Looks like Im gonna do some hardcore ebay hunting for a while. Maybe I'll get lucky like I did with Twin spica
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:21 am Reply with quote
I don't know if it can count as "cut short", but Izumi Matsumoto's Sesame Street was suddenly cut with 3 volumes, to not go back again. Apparently he said his illness do not allow him to make a regular series...
sillyriri

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:37 am Reply with quote
StormSky92 wrote:
It sounds like being a Japanese manga artist or light novelist is bad for your health.

It's funny, people forget that careers like art or writing can be just as taxing as more physical things. Sometimes, I make comics. I work at a rate of about one page a day and find that exhausting: I cannot imagine how stressful 20 pages per week, every week, must be.

Likewise for light novels. They may be much shorter than most novels, but the release schedule- usually 3 a year, isn't it?- must be awful to work with.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:22 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
You forgot With The Light: Raising an Autistic Child.

Just what I was thinking. Truly tragic. Such an amazing and informative work cut short.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:04 am Reply with quote
Aww man, With the Light was amazing. I slowed my reading of it when I heard of Tobe's passing, but some of you are saying it got a conclusion. I think I'll have to hunt down the remaining copies and finish it!

Yes, NANA and Saiyuki also came to mind and I think DNAngel also got put on hiatus for a time - was that due to illness? I do hope Yazawa finishes NANA.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I also wanted to mention With The Light. Looking at those unfinished storyboards at the end of the last volume was so sad...

Yoshito Usui wrote Crayon Shin-chan, and while the plot wasn't really serialized enough to be considered cut short, his death from a hiking accident in 2009 was really tragic.

Late movie director and mangaka Satoshi Kon deserves a shout-out as his last movie remains unfinished. He was one of the few personalities I knew only via his media who's passing made me cry and really mourn.
sepherest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:

From the little blurbs Togashi and his wife have written in their manga series it seems like he's a pretty serious house-husband. He's probably more interested in his wife and children than paying any attention to his manga, although I wouldn't be surprised if that sort of thing wears him out a lot.

I didn't see this one mentioned yet but supposedly working on Berserk so much caused Kentaro Miura to have a heart attack a few years ago, which resulted in Miura having more assistants to help him out with the series. There's still rumors flying around about him since the series is only quarterly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5