• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Remembering And Reminiscing About Your Very First Anime...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
10円

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:07 pm Reply with quote
[Removed]

Last edited by 10円 on Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
murph76

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 pm Reply with quote
For me, my first experience with anime was watching Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato) on Saturday mornings in the early 1980s.

As a child, I didn't know this was anime, but I remember thinking how different and better it was than the typical Saturday morning cartoon. Instead of a story being completed every episode, Star Blazers made me tune in week after week to find out what was going to happen the ship and crew. And, like was mentioned above, people died during the course of the show, in stark contrast to other cartoons at the time.

Even though I was about 8 at the time, I saw how much deeper and more complex the story was than the other programs. The goal in the series was to undo the damage caused to the earth, and it shows the dead surface of the planet to emphasize that point. Pretty strong stuff for Saturday morning.

It made such an impression on me as a boy, I would draw pictures of the Argo with my crayons.

It wasn't until college that I realized it was anime. I happened across a copy of it in a comic book shop, but couldn't afford to purchase it. But, because of Star Blazers I sought out other titles, renting Project A-Ko and Perfect Blue, and tuning into the anime when Adult Swim was first starting.

This may sound strange, but I have fond memories of Star Blazers. I have a copy working its way up my Netflix queue. I hope it stands up well to my memories.

-Murph
AegisX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't exactly have a grand history when it comes to anime as I was one of those kids raised on series like Pokemon, Digimon, and Dragonball Z, so my story probably won't be that interesting.

I didn't really become interested in anime until 2003 when I had been flipping through the program guide on my television and saw a show called Anime Unleashed on TechTV. I went to the channel and spent the next three hours watching Serial Experiments Lain before finally falling asleep around 4 a.m.
The next night I sat down to watch the rest of the series excited to see the conclusion but completely oblivious to the themes and metaphors being presented to me(I was only twelve at the time and not the brightest bulb in the box).

I ended up spending the rest of the summer staying up late watching Anime Unleashed each night seeing series like Gate Keepers 21(my favorite out of those shown) and if I recall correctly R.O.D. the TV.

Unfortunately I haven't seen even an episode of any of these series in the past several years so I can hardly remember anything about them to say what I loved or hated, other than Gate Keepers 21. I guess the thing I liked about this series was the animation and how dark it and the story were in comparison to what I was used to seeing. For example one of the most prominent memories I have of the show was a scene taking place in a karaoke bar where several of the patrons are brutally transformed into the alien menace the two heroes have been fighting against. I hadn't really seen anything like it before I guess. One of the things I hated about the series was it's length. At only six episodes it just didn't seem long enough to me and I was rather annoyed to see it end.

Of course watching these three shows have gotten me interested in several other series such as Cowboy Bebop, Ruroni Kenshin, and Black Jack 21. I've also been looking for a copy of Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis which I saw back in 2002 but had forgotten about until recently. I had enjoyed the movie quite a bit but had been turned off by the character designs, a mistake I won't make again.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:44 pm Reply with quote
For me, the very first series that had gotten me into anime was Evangelion. Sure, growing up in the late 90's meant that I grew up watching Pokemon which would have meant that it got me interested in anime. But in reality, Pokemon didn't get me into anime ever since I didn't care that it was from Japan and it didn't know that Japanese cartoons were called "anime". But then 6 years ago when I was 10, one Sunday night I flipped through the channels and stumbled upon Evangelion, which was being broadcasted on KETH, a PBS network and I was hooked on it immediately. From that day on, I consider Evangelion as the very first series that got me into anime.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:14 pm Reply with quote
The very first series I ever saw, I think, is The Adventures of the Little Prince. Its a kids series based on the french novel Le Petite Prince, that was one of my favourite shows when I was little. I dont really know if I watched it in french or english.... I dont remember it with language, as is common with alot of the things I vaugly remember from when I was little.
I do remember a few scenes here and there, like the Little Prince going to a resturant on a planet, and not knowing that he had to pay for the food, so this other girl helps him out, after griping about how strange it was that a prince wouldnt know something like that.
I can still sing the theme song, that has stuck in my head well. The Little Prince from outer space can catch a shooting star.... and sail away.

The first anime I ever saw that I knew was anime, was Pokemon. I remember when Pokemon was the huge craze at school.... man, I was in, like... Grade Five or something. And everyone brought their packs of Pokemon cards with them and traded them at Lunch and Reccess.... ah yes. Good times. The first episode of it I ever saw, was the one where Ash meets the Eevee trainers, and there was that one little kids who didn't want to evolve his Eevee. Heh, it was so cute. I loved that show, and the creatures where so adorable it was hard not to get hooked. People always say that Pokemon is lame and stupid, but honestly, just because something is aimed at children dosnt make it bad. Its not geared towards older audiances, and the people that it is geared towards love it. And really, if it hadnt been for the big Pokemon hype, I wouldnt to this day know anything about anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Askman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:17 pm Reply with quote
The first anime I ever saw was the last episode of the first season of Sailor Moon. I was a young 'un at the time, but it definitely interested me. I watched the whole episode, though I didn't really understand what was going on, it was still really interesting and somewhat emotional, spoiler[watching all the Sailor Warriors and the Prince dying.]. The ending especially stayed with me, with spoiler[ Sailor Moon asking the rest of the warriors for help and defeating Beryl. Afterwards they didn't even remember it all.] It really stayed with me for some reason; hell I still remember it.

Just recently my interest in anime was kindled and I watched the original Japanese fansub of the episode(s), and I eventually watched the fansubs for the first two seasons of Sailor Moon. I've been addicted to anime ever since Smile
namelissis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:18 pm Reply with quote
i will not go into my very first anime... but i'm going to share what anime made me to be a fanatic...

The anime that really struck me was Akazukin Chacha! Oh I remember this cute oh so innocent Chacha... Hehehe... I still remember the name of the main characters: There was Chacha, Joan, Shine, Lia, Seravi and Dorothy...

Okay funny stories behind these anime was first, since i'm 8 or 9 yrs. old by that time, my mom said that I should sleep at 8 pm. So I always beg her, "Mom, can't you make it 8:30 so I can watch akazukin chacha... pls... promise I'll study hard..." Hehehe... Those were my lines that days... And when I can't watch it I will have tantrums and cry(*covers my face)...

Yeah, since Akazukin Chacha was really a big hit here, we have a game dedicated to it, it's like paper, scissors and stones... Oh i forgot the song...(asks my classmates but they also forgot)... i can recall the last lines like a.. dorothy a dorothy(rolling your hands), gurong[teacher] seravi(throw your bet, paper, scissors or stone)...

Hahaha and I also like Little Red Riding Hood because of this anime? Her costume looks like that of Red Riding... And when it ends i try to sing it's ED, and up to now I only remember... (*hums) Akazukin Chacha...

Ahh, reminiscing overload... but I really got frustrated cause I know in the end spoiler[it wouldn't be Chacha and Shine]...

ahh i'll stop here before I go whacko on telling every detail I recall
dambuilder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:21 pm Reply with quote
This actually is a quite hard question for me to answer... I've been brought up with Heidi, Marco, Nils Holgersson and whatelse, always knowing these were Japanese productions. German tv never really bothered to cover up that fact, and since my father is an animation nerd (mostly Disney however), he made sure we kids knew - only to rant about how inferior they were compared to Disney. Despite this I prefered them to US series back then already. Something about them just made me feel as being taken more seriously.

Now, though I can't name which one really *was* the first anime I have seen, the very first anime I *do* remember having watched was Tao Tao when I was about 3 or 4, a cute anthology-styled series about a little panda whose mother tells him all sorts of fables. I loved that series to pieces back then (I even had a stuffed panda who looked just like Tao Tao), but I only remember bits and pieces today, like the voice of the narrator or it's unusual color style (it looked as if the colors were drawn with crayons).

It was in the early 90's a couple of computer game magazines started printing articles about those Japanese cartoons I loved so much (by then we had cable and along with it such wonderful series like Queen Millennia or Miyuki) and my soon-starting obsession finally had a name: Manga! Laughing
And only a few months afterwards I finally held my "own" "manga" in my hands: Project A-Ko. And that's the end of the beginning. Or vice versa. Wink
bluepita

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:57 pm Reply with quote
The first anime I ever watched and really knew it was anime was Yu-Gi-Oh, I think. I know I watched some as a kid, but I never knew the difference. I watched one or two episodes of Sailor Moon, some Hamtaro, and lots of Pokemon with my daughter but never really paid attention.

However, as silly as it sounds anime kind of gave me a thread to hold on to, lifewise for a while. Even a silly anime like Yu-Gi-Oh! Oh, about four or five years ago, I was working full-time, going to college full-time, was a single mom. It had been years since I felt well, but that year I hit rock bottom. I had pneumonia for months and some other things I didn't really know about. Well, I ended up bed-ridden for a few weeks and had to go on short term disability. The last bout of illnesses ended up aggravating all my conditions to a point where I ended up having to quit, spending hours at a variety of doctors offices every week. I was worn out in and in pain to the point that I had to borrow a wheelchair to go the store. Eventually I found out I had several chronic conditions. I had to accept the fact I may not finish college, may not be able to work full time again, all while I look perfectly fine, which means everyone in the free world thought I'd be ok if I just made myself move. Every bit of energy I had went to being a mom, because really you just can't neglect that.

So in this time, I started watching Yu-Gi-Oh!. Ok, I know it's a silly, card battling children's cartoon. But, something about the people just fascinated me. I liked the sound of their voices, the fact it somewhat had a continous plot, the way the characters looked different than anything I had ever seen, and the fact that at times the storyline went dark, unheard of for me in cartoons. I watched it for a while, and even at 25, people would buy cards for me because I loved the pictures. (I'd say artwork, but let's be serious.) It gave me something to focus on other than the fact that I was sick and really quite useless even to Baby. You can never underestimate what it means to have something with no complications when you lose most of what you take pride in. Anything more serious would have added stress, even if positive stress, and that was the last thing I needed. I had a ear or so long love affair with Yu-Gi-Oh!, involving buying the DVD's (which I now know were bootlegs Embarassed ), collecting cards, and selling extras on eBay. Lol, Yu-Gi-Oh! even helped me somewhat support myself when I couldn't work.

Well, eventually of course I started to learn more about it, and then I branched off into Adult Swim, plus more. Well, long story even longer, I really wanted to go back to college but I was afraid to. Unfortunately, my illnesses really affect both the way I think and the way I communicate. I knew there was a good chance I would fail, and I was scared to even try. Plus my hands shake uncontrollably at times. Mostly it's not a big deal, but I was a chemistry major. Going back to school also meant changing to my second love, literature. Communication is important there. Well, I was paging through the community college lit classes, thinking if I could just find the perfect class, maybe I would be brave enough to try. I knew I would have to write papers and participate in discussions. Well, I ran in Debbie Scally's anime/lit class. It just seemed like it was meant to be. I thought that even if I failed miserably, I'd enjoy the time, right? Seeing a class in something like that, something I felt comfortable enough to talk about, made a difference. Plus it almost seemed like a bit of a sign that there would be a class in the new pleasure I picked up while sick.

I know it's silly, but I really feel like anime, especially Yu-Gi-Oh!, helped me get through a hard time in my life, kept me from sinking too far down. So, even though I rarely watch anime anymore, I always come here to keep a toe in, and even though Yu-Gi-Oh! is childish, I'll always love it.

Lol, that may be a bit more a story than you were looking for, as well as me attaching more significance than needed to something silly. But, it was my perception at the time, so I hold onto it. Wink
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:52 pm Reply with quote
It was Dragon Ball for me. When it first aired here in 1995 I loved everything about it. Today I remember turning on the TV every Sunday at 12:30 pm and watching Goku travel with Bulma fighting evil creatures along the way. I thought Goku was so cool because he was a kid like me and he could do all these amazing things. I loved how Goku was never afraid of anything or anyone, always had a postive attitude, could do the kamehameha, and had the Nimbus to fly on. The story was also something new to me because I had never seen a show like that before where it was one big story. I wanted to be just like Goku so when I went to my karate lessons I would always pretend I was Goku fighting Pilaf lol. Back then though I had no idea of the whole license problems so I always wondered why they stopped after episode 13.
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Like so many others, the first anime I probably remember seeing is Pokemon. The first I saw was probably some of the original Transformers, but I can hardly remember that. Anyway, that being said, I, also like so many other, didn't realize is was anime back then. I had no idea it had anything to do with Japan. So that can't really be considered what got me into it.

I always liked the more serious cartoons as a kid and never liked the stuff that made lame attempts at being funny. That made me gravitate towards more serious, dramatic shows I thought someone with an I.Q above 2 had written. That's when I started to like anime before I knew it was anime. I started to understand what anime looked like and automatically was more willing to watch that type of show. when I saw something drawn in the anime style it was usually better than the average show. That was the beginning of my hook on anime.

After I understood I liked this type of animation, (though I didn't tie the word "anime" to it yet), I saw shows like digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh!. Countless others came after or maybe before that I can't remember. I think I saw some early Gundam stuff. There were came everything from Monster Rancher to Fighting Foodons. But those shows are best left forgotten . . . .

One fateful night (pardon the cliche), I watched Fullmetal Alchemist. Everything changed from there. I think the first episode I saw was actually the first episode, which sucked me into the story. I didn't realize how much I loved the show until I realized I really wanted to see it and was mad if I didn't get to see it. From there I really learned all about anime and started to watche as much anime purposefully as I could. And, of course, the rest, as they say, is history.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:02 am Reply with quote
DragonBall, Sailor Moon, Transformers were all before my time. (I did watch Beast Wars though If you count that? idunno)

I guess it was technically Pokemon. I dont really count that though since it was durring the whole Pokemon fad so everyone was watching it. Around that time though, DBZ was on right after Pokemon so I started watching it. Somehow that led to Gundam Wing and I guess I watched Digimon in there somewhere. I watched Monster Rancher off and on in there somewhere too.

I distinctly remember watching Samurai Pizza Cats at some point but I cant remember if that was in there somewhere or perhaps when I was really young, before even Pokemon.

Durring all this though i didn't even know what Anime was. It wasnt until my friend got me watching Inuyasha that I actually watched a non kids Anime or knew what Anime was. from there i watched all kinds of other stuff.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:13 am Reply with quote
bluepita wrote:
Lol, that may be a bit more a story than you were looking for, as well as me attaching more significance than needed to something silly. But, it was my perception at the time, so I hold onto it. Wink

What an amazing story! I've had low times in life, but never that low. It's funny how the things that seem the most trivial ultimately prove to be what can pull us out from the rock and the hard place.

My first anime didn't impact nearly as much as yours did, but it did help me through a rough time recently. When I was maybe 5 or 6 years old, I used to love a show called Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics. The show's opening sequence featured a flying girl with green hair I became fascinated with. I'd never seen a cartoon character drawn in that style before and I guess the cuteness of it appealed to my girlish nature. Anyway, I watched Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics every day (or every week? My memory of that time is very hazy by now) and subsequently became a cartoon addict because I was trying so hard to find other shows drawn in a similar style. I even watched 10 minutes of Akira when it aired on the SciFi channel, before bursting into tears and running to my mom for comfort (it was the part with the creepy toys and the milk), to be plagued by nightmares for the rest of the week.

Years later, when I was 11, I happened to catch an episode of Sailor Moon while it first began its syndicated TV run, and I learned the term "anime." And things kind of rolled from there.

But I'd never have searched so earnestly for anime programming (and as a result, fall instantly in love with Sailor Moon) had it not been for that early influence of Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics. And I've come to appreciate even more recently. This past August, I moved from my beloved home in Minneapolis to Los Angeles, leaving behind all of my closest friends. I missed them all terribly for a really long time and could barely get through an entire day without pausing to cry at least once. A little while after I moved, I got a surprise package in the mail. It was none other than an ancient video tape of the Snow White episode of Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics! One of my great friends, who also loved that show in her youth, had found the tape at a Goodwill and sent it to me as a token of comfort, even though she probably wanted to keep it. Now, when I feel that familiar pang of homesickness I can pop in the Snow White tape and remember the friends I'll always be close to, now matter how far apart we may be geographically.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
pyrex

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:02 am Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
For me, my first experience with anime was watching Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato) on Saturday mornings in the early 1980s.

As a child, I didn't know this was anime, but I remember thinking how different and better it was than the typical Saturday morning cartoon. Instead of a story being completed every episode, Star Blazers made me tune in week after week to find out what was going to happen the ship and crew. And, like was mentioned above, people died during the course of the show, in stark contrast to other cartoons at the time.

You know it's really funny that someone else mentioned this. Because my first recollection was also Star Blazers and for me this was in 1977(I was 5). I always remember coming home from my grandmothers after my mom got off work and getting my juice cup and watching it. Although, honestly I didn't know it was anime, it was just cartoons for me back then. But I do remember the Wave Motion Gun...I use to love that flying ship Very Happy .

I guess I never really considered anime as it's own genre until after I saw Akira, even though prior I use to love the Transformers when I was a boy. I kind of faded in & out of anime when I was in my 20s, until I watched Full Metal Alchemist, after that I was totally hooked again and since that time I haven't looked back.

But good to reminisces about it, in thinking back its really been with me my whole life even before I really knew what it was.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Mine was i movie i seen on showtime when i was 8 (13 years ago) called roujin Z.

It had a cool style and i remeber being captivated. just staring at the tv and wondering what the heck was going on. i really watched it because i only watched cartoons and hey it was a cartoon.

i liked the fact that a woman robot and an old man did at lot of destruction and i understood that spoiler[those two just wanted to be together at the sea]
which is odd being i was 8. and getting it a little and i likedspoiler[the ending when she came back]

then several years passed until i seen roujin Z again. i was 20 and remeber watching this long ago and found out this was my first anime. and i still enjoy it.

plus i never looked back and became an otaku gal!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3