• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Problems: Buy or Make?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hisdon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I plan on getting a shelf for my stuff soon. However, it isn't just going to be for anime, but all my movies, books, cd's, and other things as well. So, I want it to be fairly large (longer than taller, something like 5 feet by 3 feet), with enough room for a lot of media with not a lot of wasted space. Kinda like those shelfs you see of books in manga and anime that are packed with stuff with not a lot of space - needs to be able to store a lot.

I can either make one or buy one, money isn't an issue but finding what i'm looking for us. Anyone got any suggestions on where to look for a nice book case or if I should just build it with some nicer material?
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote
well, you can always look for a good cabinet maker in your area to build what you want or hit the local furniture stores/outlets and see if they have what you're looking for.

Personal opinion: Either yourself or someone with experience ought to build one to suit your particular needs. I found a lot of great furniture when I was recently looking for stuff for my studio, but nothing quite so nice as the stuff I had custom made for me.

Smile
Nerv1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:
I can either make one or buy one, money isn't an issue but finding what i'm looking for us. Anyone got any suggestions on where to look for a nice book case or if I should just build it with some nicer material?

Why don't you just buy one? It would save a lot more time buying one than to build one. I don't really know where to go buy shelves but I do have one from Target("cough" got for free "cough") that has 4 shelves. Here:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-1/qid=1173394826/ref=sr_1_1/601-9843528-1910505?ie=UTF8&asin=B00005OU2X It's pretty small, but it can fit a lotta stuff in it.
Or have you tired Ikea? They sell a lot shelves there too.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
Hisdon wrote:

Why don't you just buy one? It would save a lot more time buying one than to build one. I don't really know where to go buy shelves but I do have one from Target("cough" got for free "cough") that has 4 shelves. Here:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-1/qid=1173394826/ref=sr_1_1/601-9843528-1910505?ie=UTF8&asin=B00005OU2X It's pretty small, but it can fit a lotta stuff in it.
Or have you tired Ikea? They sell a lot shelves there too.

yea- not lookign for something like that. I want something with lower divisions between shelves and more of them.
NessFreaK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:23 pm Reply with quote
not to mention that looks like it would only hold 30-40 dvds. I got mine for less than that and it can hold 240 standard dvd cases.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:09 pm Reply with quote
NessFreaK wrote:
not to mention that looks like it would only hold 30-40 dvds. I got mine for less than that and it can hold 240 standard dvd cases.

yea forgot to mention that as well, its way too tall. Like I said I'm looking for a "fatter" demension, ideally like 2 meters by 1 meter
Asako

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I went through this sort of problem in January... choosing between store bought vs making my own. I weighed the pros and cons..

I've decided I didn't want to have press board because it bends under the heavy weight of my dvds or manga. Not only that, sometimes there aren't enough shelves and I would have to stack my dvds or manga, or lay them down to take up the extra space. The preset holes for the shelving doesn't always agree with the DVD heights. I also didn't like that the shelves were so deep that I ended up putting dvds in front of them or waste the space.

But then there's the shelving made specifically for DVDs which are thin, but don't extend tall enough and I felt like it's wasting space if it doesn't go to the ceiling. Plus, if a shelf was that tall and that thin, it would probably topple over.

Taking that all into consideration, it seemed like a better decision for me to go custom just because I was able to do pretty much whatever I wanted Smile Rakushun helped me come to that decision, hehe thanks a lot!

Alternatively, there are some stuff like:
484 DVD Storage Cabinet
Another NICE Shelf
Hisdon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:37 am Reply with quote
Asako wrote:
I went through this sort of problem in January... choosing between store bought vs making my own. I weighed the pros and cons..

I've decided I didn't want to have press board because it bends under the heavy weight of my dvds or manga. Not only that, sometimes there aren't enough shelves and I would have to stack my dvds or manga, or lay them down to take up the extra space. The preset holes for the shelving doesn't always agree with the DVD heights. I also didn't like that the shelves were so deep that I ended up putting dvds in front of them or waste the space.

But then there's the shelving made specifically for DVDs which are thin, but don't extend tall enough and I felt like it's wasting space if it doesn't go to the ceiling. Plus, if a shelf was that tall and that thin, it would probably topple over.

Taking that all into consideration, it seemed like a better decision for me to go custom just because I was able to do pretty much whatever I wanted Smile Rakushun helped me come to that decision, hehe thanks a lot!

Alternatively, there are some stuff like:
484 DVD Storage Cabinet
Another NICE Shelf

oh yea, now we're talking, one of those bad boys would probably do just fine depending on the measurements of the shelves...mmmmmm, hawt.'

really pricey too :X guess I'll shop around first.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Do you have an IKEA near you? I found, when assembling my entertainment center, that IKEA does come in unusual sizes when compared to other furniture stores, so you might find something more up your alley.

Furthermore, since you assemble everything yourself, it's not too terribly difficult to mix and match pieces into what you need. (Or, if you're like my boyfriend, grab a saw and a drill and modify the existing stuff so it does what you want it to.)

The only downer is, it IS IKEA, so expect a lot of pressboard and things not really designed to last for decades. (It's nicer than what the stereotypes would have you expect, but it's not heirloom-quality by any stretch of the imagination.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1