• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon Signs Exclusive Deal with TechTV Canada

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YumeKaze

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:07 am Reply with quote
Aw, come on America-jin, you guys are just taking for granted the almighty anime channels you get down there. Sure we're getting a few more titles now, but what we have is still nothing compared to the mass exposure of anime on tv you all have. Very Happy
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:18 am Reply with quote
roujin wrote:
All that can be said now is "you lucky bastards."

You know, I swear Canadian anime fans have said the same thing 5-6 years ago in regards to the USA getting more teen/adult anime at the time. Razz

In any case, I'm really happy that Canadians like me are guaranteed to see more Geneon anime in the near future. Now bring on Gankutsuou, G4! Razz

Last edited by Buster Blader 126 on Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
struttgart

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:01 am Reply with quote
animedudde wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:
Ninja337 wrote:
Hey, how is it buying anime DVDs in Canada?

Despite the progress its seen over the past couple of years, it's still terrible, especially compared to the US. Often times you can't even rely on specialty stores for a particular title, and whether or not something shows up in a major retailer like Future Shop or HMV is almost like some kind of gamble.

It almost seems like the TV exposure is for naught since the availability of DVDs is so poor.

I agree, I just went to Best Buy today, and although they had most of the titles that come on TV (Samurai 7, Baslisk, Inu Yasha, Naruto, etc..) They only had a like 3 or 4 volumes of each (excpt Inu Yasha, they probably have like eveyr new release for that). Compared to when I went to a Best Buy in the US last month where they had a lot more DVDs for each title, and even older releases. Also, Best Buy here priced quite high, Most of what they sell is more expensive than HMV from what I've seen >.>

Furthermore on that point, I went to best buy and managed to pick up Noein Vol 1 from one of the many they had which was surprising. More shocking was the fact that they were never even put out on a shelf but rather stuck below in a storage cabinet and it took the salesman twenty minutes to find. But he did find it and I paid for it and went home and watched it.
10円

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy for the Canadians, really I am, but let's not go crazy here. The US has been the world-wide sweet spot for anime for years and years now. We have by far the largest anime selection outside of Japan for the best prices anywhere. If anime becomes big in Canada (which is what I'm assuming is the hope behind these recent moves) then I'm all for it, but at the moment I'm still glad to have the massive American market at my fingertips. In any case, thanks to the internet and the lowest international parcel costs of any foreign country Canadians can still get most of the same titles I can get for just a few bucks more. If you see anything you like on Canadian TV, just login to your favorite US based e-tailer and order it from America. As our 'defense' budget continues to surpass the defense budgets of all other countries combined we'll be needing more and more of our neighbors to start buying American goods in greater and greater quantities. The sooner we can get Canadians hooked on American made dubs the better it will be for all of us. Ha!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2