• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shounen Onmyouji cast.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Shounen Onmyouji (#6703).

Whoever listed the cast credits made a big mistake for naming the characters. Just from watching the first volume of Otogizoshi, I've already figured out the little Heian era naming system where surnames are succeeded by a no (the Japanese possessive) and then the given name.

In the Encyc. entry, all of the names are written in Western order, but with the no attached to the end of the surname assuming it's just part of the name. Therefore, I suggest two of the following methods:

1. Keep the name order in Japanese (surname-first name) with the appropriate Heian style such as "Abe no Semei."

2. You can put them in Western order, but I would recommend you translate no into "of the" to signify the given name as a possession of the surname like "Semei of the Abe" and preserve the cultural/historical significance of the era.

Please fix all of the names that end with "-no" or read the report I submitted to further justify things. Thank you.

If you'd like further confirmation, consult the credits for Otogizoshi as well.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
There were two error reports on this, so you weren't the only one who noticed. It can be confirmed now... Fixed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1