• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Unveils PlayStation Vita TV Game Entertainment Machine

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Sony is doing this as consolation for Japan since, while the PS4 is going on sale Nov. 15 in the U.S. and Canada and Nov. 29 in Europe, it won’t go on sale in Japan until next year Feb 22, 2014. So Sony needs something for the key year-end holiday New Year’s shopping season in Japan.

America and Europe are bigger markets than Japan - so it's easy to see where their priorities lie. And because Japanese game developers have required more time to develop games for the PS4 - a console launch without enough Japan-geared titles would not go over well there. And they can do this because Xbox One doesn't plan to launch in Japan until even later.

Last edited by enurtsol on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
well sony you have my attention, playing corpse party, final fanatsy 7 crisis core and kingdom hearts bos again with a ps3 controller is a great idea. The aspect alone of playing psp/vita excusable only on a T.V. has my interest peaked greatly so I will keep an eye on this one.

Those two games are not available on PSN, so you can't play them on Vita/Vita TV.

well i spoke two soon then, however I'll leave it up to square enix to post them on the psn or some on will mod the device later down road. Either way I like this aspect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
partially

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:14 am Reply with quote
Given how tiny this thing is, and how lowcost, why they couldn't throw the hardware into the PS4 as well so that it could be compatible with Vita games I will never understand. The tech industry's obsession with separate devices even within the same company is confounding. I want less cables not more, and less need to recharge 5 separate portable devices. I would be happy even with an addon that attaches to the PS4, but we aren't going to get that. Hurrah for another power and HDMI cable.

Given this also uses a standard controller, I can't see how they are going to handle which device it syncs to, turns on both the PS4 and Vita TV everytime you press on, on the controller. Hurrah as you navigate both devices at once, or try to make it only work with one.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:48 am Reply with quote
partially wrote:
Given how tiny this thing is, and how lowcost, why they couldn't throw the hardware into the PS4 as well so that it could be compatible with Vita games I will never understand. The tech industry's obsession with separate devices even within the same company is confounding. I want less cables not more, and less need to recharge 5 separate portable devices. I would be happy even with an addon that attaches to the PS4, but we aren't going to get that. Hurrah for another power and HDMI cable.

Given this also uses a standard controller, I can't see how they are going to handle which device it syncs to, turns on both the PS4 and Vita TV everytime you press on, on the controller. Hurrah as you navigate both devices at once, or try to make it only work with one.

In all honesty I'm not buying a ps4 so that issue is none of my concern. I do understand about turning the console with the same controller but that's why you sync up one controller to each system, problem solved. I have 2 ps3's and I've never run across this problem before. Now I will agree about needing another plugin, hdmi cord to take up space but let's just see how it plays out. Who knows maybe this will finally convince those who didn't play the psp at all and on the fence of getting vita to buy it, because you can play the games on a t.v.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wooga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:56 am Reply with quote
Danganronpa, Muramasa Rebirth and Virute's Last Reward on the Big Screen? Pretty neat...takes me back to my playing DragonQuest-on-Supergameboy days
Kerberous

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The new system will allow the user to play PlayStation Vita games on the television

Wtf is up with the internet ? Did Sony throw money at everyone ? Gametrailers is one of the few sites on the internet that actually mentioned that the TVita cannot play all Vita games.

Wooga wrote:
Danganronpa, Muramasa Rebirth and Virute's Last Reward on the Big Screen? Pretty neat...takes me back to my playing DragonQuest-on-Supergameboy days

Virtue's Last Reward is not on the TVita's compatibility list. Neither are many other games heavy on touch screen use (Gravity Rush, Uncharted, Wipeout for example).
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:16 am Reply with quote
I don't really like it. I own a Vita already, and I would have much, much preferred a cable to let the Vita itself hook up to a monitor/tv/projector, instead of having to basically buy another, non-portable version of the Vita. That, combined with the fact that the Vita's already small library is going to be pared down even more because it can't play games that heavily rely on the touch-screen, and you have a console that's a hard sell for me.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:44 am Reply with quote
It dosent play every Vita game, but don't act like wont update it Dow the road to say work with PS4's dualshock. Which has a touchscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Kerberous

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:54 am Reply with quote
False advertisement = good ?
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:21 am Reply with quote
Um.......

Where's the false advertisement. They've been pretty clear about what it does and dosent. Even released a list of what works right now.

They announced it is a Vita top box which is what it is.

If you're complaining about the fact they are calling it a Vita and it happens to not play every game then I hope you also complained when they said systems were BC and yet a few didn't run well or at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Oooh, I like the new Vita design with the pink and black colors.

Too bad I still have no reason to own a Vita (that is, games).
Kerberous

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:11 pm Reply with quote
^^1 or 2 sites actually said that it can't play all Vita games. Can you even read ?
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Kerberous wrote:
^^1 or 2 sites actually said that it can't play all Vita games. Can you even read ?
Nope, just like you don't understand concepts like "false advertising". Because what you're talking about is bad reporting.

Maybe next time, get your words right.
Kerberous

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quote
What ? People are advertising it, but lying about the product. This info isn't the most obscure thing on the internet either. You're implying that almost no one can use google Laughing

I'm serious, can you read ?
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What ? People are advertising it,
Again, do you know what advertising means? I doubt it, because what people are doing is just talking about it and perhaps being misinformed. Do you claim "false advertising" when someone says something wrong about a product? No, well maybe you do because you use the words incorrectly. No, it would be false advertising only if Sony or some other cooperate entity lied about the product. It's not false advertising when some crappy gaming website or person mistakenly says something. Please learn what words mean before you try to insult others because they correct your crappy word use.

Quote:
This info isn't the most obscure thing on the internet either. You're implying that almost no one can use google Laughing
WTF are you talking about? What am I implying? Nothing. If people used google they'd come across a website like say The verge which guess what, makes a big deal to point out that it dosen't play all Vita games. So what websites are you talking about, it dosen't seem to be any respectable one.

Oh noes I'm sorry that some forum goers aren't reading everything about it and don't realize that it dosen't play every vita game. I guess that's false advertising. Because when people use the phrase they are talking about people or crappy news outlets, not actual companies selling a product.

Quote:
I'm serious, can you read ?
Um I think so since I read what was wrong about whatever the hell you're trying to say here.

This is what the 2nd time you're posts don't actually make sense. The first was the Xseed where you claimed they are only brought out Oath because of a fan translation. Never mind that they basically have a deal with Falcom or the fact that they personally have said Steam has done well for them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3