• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Manga: Reactions of Those You Know

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:40 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
As silly as it may sound but try using a more dramatic manga to get people hooked. I'm a guy, and I can't get enough of my romantic comedy and drama manga. My first ever was Oh My Goddess and it's my prized possession. It's one of the big reasons I got into manga and anime. Other serious titles might make good ice breakers for non manga readers.

For those who act like you're a dork for reading manga take satisfaction in knowing you can at least read. I am not joking when I say that 75% of the male students in my graduating high school class could not read at a high school level. Half of them could barely read period. My parents, especially my rather, always encouraged reading. He had no problem with me getting comics and graphic novels as a child because it meant I was reading. He made sure I understood violence and the such and let me get whatever I wanted. I loved the old Chaos Comics like Lady Death, Purgatory, and Chastity. The next time someone gives you grief for your manga collection just say to yourself that at least you can read and do read instead of letting you brain waste away into mush.

Well, I succeeded in corrupting one of my friends in reading manga by simply give him as a present Death Note. He has quite enjoyed himself in reading the story and now he wants more so I am providing materials for him. Laughing Corrupting fresh minds, so to speak..... Wink Laughing

Yeah, I think that we should all be glad that we still read a lot because sometimes I'm wondering what people are doing regarding this subject. I see fewer and fewer people take some time off to read so I think that when young people start to read manga (good manga, would be even better), I think that it's really wonderful. I don't care whether people consider manga an art or not, as long as they want to start an argument with me about why I shouldn't read it. That really puts me off. I'm tired to protect what I like. I'm just happy that my family supports me and since there are cases in which people who come to this place aren't encouraged in doing so, then most certainly we are their support. We are the living proof (or the informational Wink )proof that they aren't alone in this world with their likes or even dislikes..
smoochy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't have to worry about family anymore, being out of the house, but it has brought problems when I go back, or present my little brothers with manga as Christmas gifts. Then again, Gyo would probably offend people even if they weren't hardcore Southern Babtists.
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:00 pm Reply with quote
smoochy wrote:
I don't have to worry about family anymore, being out of the house, but it has brought problems when I go back, or present my little brothers with manga as Christmas gifts. Then again, Gyo would probably offend people even if they weren't hardcore Southern Babtists.

You're lucky your brothers like manga. My big bro doesn't. He's got friends that do and they know he's got a little brother who likes anime. I still plan on showing him FMA, Hellsing, and possibly the REAL One Piece but I need a few other good anime titles. Since I can't ask for reccomendations(Tried and my topic got locked), if you've got any good ideas, send me a private message. I'd really appreiciate it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
smoochy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Shonen Bat"][quote="smoochy"]I don't have to worry about family anymore, being out of the house, but it has brought problems when I go back, or present my little brothers with manga as Christmas gifts. Then again, Gyo would probably offend people even if they weren't hardcore Southern Babtists.[/quote]

You're lucky your brothers like manga. My big bro doesn't. He's got friends that do and they know he's got a little brother who likes anime. I still plan on showing him FMA, Hellsing, and possibly the REAL One Piece but I need a few other good anime titles. Since I can't ask for reccomendations(Tried and my topic got locked), if you've got any good ideas, send me a private message. I'd really appreiciate it.[/quote]

Ha, I got my little brothers hooked on the stuff from an early age. I was showing them Starblazers, Voltron, and Robotech when they were young.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:33 pm Reply with quote
smoochy wrote:
Ha, I got my little brothers hooked on the stuff from an early age. I was showing them Starblazers, Voltron, and Robotech when they were young.

Good job! Those of us who are already fans really must start corrupting the younger ones more often! Twisted Evil BWA HA HA HA!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:58 pm Reply with quote
My brother was big on the Yugioh! manga until it ended and he came back here, and then he just stopped reading it. So he had me sell the entire series and get the money for it. Whenever I buy the newest volume of One Piece he always makes sure to read it after I'm done, which means he's still a big fan of the series but he never reads it afterwards. He just likes to keep updated. No new volume, no reading.
Celes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:32 am Reply with quote
Luckily for me, my mother and I have always had a very open relationship, and at first she was a little confused about my sudden fascination with manga (for me it was pretty much an overnight thing, so no wonder), but she always bought me the titles I wanted and I think she tried hard to take an interest, although she has "interesting" nicknames for my favorites:

Sailor Moon= Sailor Buffoon
Fushigi Yugi= Fushigi S*****
Utena=Uterus

And when I explained to her just exactly what Gravitation was about, she just rolled her eyes and said "Well, the men in those books are girly." But yeah, I've told her all about my yaoi and my yuri and in between and she accepts it. Wink

My brother, on the other hand, used to make soooo much fun of me because of all my manga, but now all of a sudden, he's been asking me to pick him up One Piece and Ultimate Muscle books on a frequent basis.

And as for my friends, a few of them used to read manga but "grew out of it" (their words), my roommate doesn't enjoy it, but he likes anime, so he doesn't bother me about it, and my other friends that are clueless just think I am odd in the cute way Anime smile
echoblues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:15 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
As silly as it may sound but try using a more dramatic manga to get people hooked. I'm a guy, and I can't get enough of my romantic comedy and drama manga. My first ever was Oh My Goddess and it's my prized possession. It's one of the big reasons I got into manga and anime. Other serious titles might make good ice breakers for non manga readers.

For those who act like you're a dork for reading manga take satisfaction in knowing you can at least read. I am not joking when I say that 75% of the male students in my graduating high school class could not read at a high school level. Half of them could barely read period. My parents, especially my rather, always encouraged reading. He had no problem with me getting comics and graphic novels as a child because it meant I was reading. He made sure I understood violence and the such and let me get whatever I wanted. I loved the old Chaos Comics like Lady Death, Purgatory, and Chastity. The next time someone gives you grief for your manga collection just say to yourself that at least you can read and do read instead of letting you brain waste away into mush.

Dramatic manga? Hmm~ does "Love Hina" count as a dramatic manga? How about "Death Note"? I never really thought of categorizing manga into being 'dramatic'~ hmm...*thinking of any manga I might think to be dramatic* Wow! I can't think of any! But, I think I go for manga like "Love Hina" and "Death Note" to be quite dramatic! *make a mental note to think about this more* Oh, manga like One Piece and G.S. Mikami would work too I think!

75%?! That's a HIGH percentage! I guess that's true. Reading has always been a problem. Once, during one of our lectures, we got into a discussion about using outside materials for teaching and to get students interested in reading, and of course, manga/comic got into the discussion. We were saying that for the younger ones, using manga/comic is ALWAYS a good option especially for young boys! All we have to do is choose the right/appropriate manga for them to read! Twisted Evil *kinda like corrupting their minds from a younger age* Then, stuff like parents and government come into the discussion. I mean, what are the chances that parents are going to allow their children to read manga/comic in school @ as a reading 'educational' materials? Not likely!

@celes: Wow! You share all that with your mom? I wonder what my mom's reaction gonna be like if she knows me reading yaoi and shonen-ai... *imagines* LOL *shivers* she'll probably say those stuff will be bad for my mental development! Then again, she probably won't mind since she was the person that bought me my 1st ever romance book! Wink As for my dad...he's ok. He was the one that bought some manga whenever he go overseas for week. Among the manga that he bought *we ASKED him to of course Wink * is "Love Hina"!
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty envious of you guys who have siblings that like anime/manga. I only have one sibling and he only likes Ranma. I plan on showing him the good anime since the titles he told me he knows about are Naruto, DBZ, Pokemon, and Yu-Gi-Oh!. I decided to show him Hellsing, FMA, One Piece(The REAL One Piece), Samurai Champloo, and Cowboy Bebop. I hope he likes at least ONE of them. His friends who like anime said One Piece is good and he said he likes adventure series so maybe he'll like it. I hope. One Piece is my favorite anime and manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
LOLOL Love Hina is faaaarrrr from dramatic. Funny but not dramatic. Much better then the show also. Hmmmm dramatic manga. I can tell you a few I think fit the role, or at least have dramatic elements, that might work.

Oh My Goddess
Death Note
Ai Yori Aoshi
Fruits Basket
Remote
DN Angel
Pastel
Bleach
echoblues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
LOLOL Love Hina is faaaarrrr from dramatic. Funny but not dramatic. Much better then the show also. Hmmmm dramatic manga. I can tell you a few I think fit the role, or at least have dramatic elements, that might work.

Oh My Goddess
Death Note
Ai Yori Aoshi
Fruits Basket
Remote
DN Angel
Pastel
Bleach

Hmm~ isn't "Oh My Goddess" kinda the same with Love Hina? From the list that you gave, I can quite understand why "Death Note", "Fruits Basket" and "Bleach" are considered dramatic...but as for the rest...not really. Smile I think we have our own definition of what dramatic means. For me, I guess dramatic = impact! Or maybe even unique-ness. Some where along that line Wink

@Shonen Bat: LOL its ok i guess having sisters or siblings that likes anime/manga too. You got sum1 to talk to with about the stuff 24/7. However, i think what helps me the most is having friends who share the same interests! Don't u have any friends who likes anime/manga? Its more interesting that way. The more the merrier so to say. Smile Also, I think the people in ANN @this forum, u can consider them as your family too! Wink And also, look on the bright side. At least you brother has some interest in anime/manga. And One Piece would also be a good choice! Smile
Riyousha

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quote
sasukes_lover wrote:
My art teacher was listening to our conversation (which we did not know at the time) so she came up to us and started asking us questions about it. She asked things like, "don't your parents care you have an over obsession with anime" "that anime stuff freaks me out" "it has to do with devils and demons and stuff and that just freaks me out." <--- those were some of the things she said to us, we just kinda sat there and shook our heads no because we did not want to get into an argument with her because she already did not like my friend Chase for various reasons.

Did you tell your teacher that not all anime have to do with the occult (I'm reffering "occult" to everything demonic, BTW)? You should tell her that. Idea
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:43 pm Reply with quote
echoblues wrote:
@Shonen Bat: LOL its ok i guess having sisters or siblings that likes anime/manga too. You got sum1 to talk to with about the stuff 24/7. However, i think what helps me the most is having friends who share the same interests! Don't u have any friends who likes anime/manga? Its more interesting that way. The more the merrier so to say. Smile Also, I think the people in ANN @this forum, u can consider them as your family too! Wink And also, look on the bright side. At least you brother has some interest in anime/manga. And One Piece would also be a good choice! Smile

Oh yeah. I have plenty of friends that like anime and manga. Only one of my freinds doesn't like it. And I have thought of you guys as like a family to me. There are also people on this site I'd like to meet in real life. aya_honda, TestamentSaki, and even you, echo, are just some people I wish I could meet. You guys are really nice.

Anyway, I talked to my brother earlier and he told me he's read some manga(namely Ranma) but might also give other series a try. I think there's a chance he might like One Piece. If not then I'll make him watch the manga I chose until he likes them! Twisted Evil . Nah. I wouldn't do that to my big bro. If he doesn't like what I show him, then no big deal. But he might like ONE of them. Anime has a little bit of everything for everyone.
echoblues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Omg! Its been a while since last I post up anything! My new semester just started and been dead tired evertym I came home from campus Sad

@Shonen Bat: LOL so true! Never force anyone to do the stuff they don't like. Just try to manipulate them subtlely Twisted Evil Anyways, have your brother even been to a manga store? Take him along when you're buying your stuff and then see what happens. He might be interested in some of the manga that he sees. I bet they are stacks of manga available, no?

@sasukes_lover: Anyways, only until recently, I just realized how weird we might sound to people who don't read manga at all! I mean, like what sasukes_lover went through...people might think manga is BAD if they don't understand em! I can just imagine me and my friends talking about stuff like demons etc around people that know nothing and they will go like "what?~" I remember this one time me and my friend were talking about an anime/manga character that died *he's one of our fave characters* and some of our friends who were listening in asked "who died?!" We just said "Owh~ just this character that we like in the manga". I bet when we were talking, the anime/manga character seems like a really living, breathing person! I even make a date on when Kenshin died! *put the date in my diary btw and the date was when I watched the OVA*. And also, those who don't know, they will go on saying like "why are you girls so into the male character in anime/manga?! They are not even alive!" Wink Well, we CLEARLY know why, ne? LOL
Asako

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:25 am Reply with quote
Right now, I'm totally loving Densha Otoko.

What's pretty sad is that it makes me feel kinda nostalgic. But I do think that it's such a worth while read. It's been a long time that a manga has given me a good laugh out-loud or shocked me at some of the reactions. Hehe I can't wait until the last one comes out Smile Also looking forward to the DVD. I'm trying to get my boyfriend hooked on it too but he's too busy playing WoW Burning Crusade.

Another interesting time was back when I was a senior in high school and went to the temple for sunday service. The reverend there was asking what we were looking at, which was Ranma 1/2 manga graphic novel #20. He started to read it and kept on laughing and loved it Smile Gah he can read Japanese better than we could. That's when he showed us just how much anime/manga stuff he had Smile he was so awesome. But that happened about 10 years ago, he moved to a different temple by now... He was so fun when he was drunk and singing karaoke Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10