• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
the more I think about it...

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:29 am Reply with quote
Double post. Embarassed
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:47 am Reply with quote
The trend, to have big eyes and big busted women. Not necessarily, because I'm sure parents wouldn't want that for their kids' shows on Saturday and Sunday mornings in Japan. But big definetly makes the characters more noticeable and probably more open. And it's to fill some people's desires, especially with the case of hentai.

Enjeru wrote:
Middle school and high school students wear uniforms(although I have heard that some schools are starting to phase that out some).

From my understanding, these schools actually do have uniforms, the students just aren't required to wear them during the normal days of the school year. Only when they have the opening and closing days of the semester that the students are required to wear their uniforms. Even some colleges in Japan do this as well.
Asako

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:50 am Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
But I agree with what people have said in the sense that such designs are exotic to the Japanese. Orientals are probably the most homogenous race on the planet, not much diversity (hence the lack of racial issues which I believe has been discussed before).
I believe they have a lot of issues with each other. There is a lot of diversity but much has been influenced by others. It's like you're saying "Chinese, Japanese, Korean.. they're all the same"

Tell a Puerto Rican they're Mexican will get you head chewed off.

History tells a lot. These people have lots of problems with each other that are ground deep even if it hasn't become obvious on the front page of the newspaper. I also think it's wrong to group Europe as a whole.

What I found interesting is that Disney's "bad" characters are usually associated with red and/or purple. Perhaps it isn't Japanese at all to make clear distinctions as to who is bad and who is good.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:03 am Reply with quote
Regarding the gaudy hair colors, I've heard various technical explanations behind the pinks, greens, blues, and other colors. Aside from a desire for the exotic,, hair color is another way of differentiating characters, especially in series based on visual-novel games with many girls. Back in the hand-drawn days, it was probably more efficient to make most character designs fairly similar, in order to make things easier to draw given time and budgetary limits. Using multiple crazy hair colors is a good way to create easily identifiable looks without changing the basic shape and design of the character. Note that outlandish hair colors were more common in 1990s anime than they are today, in the era of digital animation. Recent series, especially the drama/romance/slife series not based on games, have a much more "Japanese" look to them compared to anime from 10 years ago.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:59 am Reply with quote
The idea that characters in anime 'look American' due to some weird obession with Americans or to give everyone an exotic look is ber much off-base. Look at cartoons originating in other countries around the world... everyone's still got paler skin and vivid hair. It's a unviersal standard.

It's not a matter of 'Asians have darker skin and hair'... That's just us, comparing ourselves to other races using our own looks as the 'standard'. Ask an asian what an American looks like- we're pale skinned and have really big eyebrows. (My english teacher also informed me once that when visiting India, she was told Americans smell like meat. But that's beside the point.)

Basically, anime folk don't look Japanese, becuase they're not drawing Japanese- they're drawing people. You don't start seeing the racial stereotype features until they start drawing specifically other races. Ana from Strawberry Marshmallow, for example, is the only blue-eyed blonde in the show- and, if you pay attention, her skin is paler than everyone else's too. My other favorite example is Wufei from Gundam Wing. He's Chinese... and all of a sudden, all the Asian stereotypes we know pop up- blakc dair, darker skin, slanted eyes. So everyone knows he's not Japanese, but Chinese. (Kinda like how Americans have a stereotypical idea of what a Candian looks llike.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2