• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Moderator.

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuisRowinn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure this will be closed or even removed but i just had to say something.

Quote:
I also don't appreciate you people replying to spam threads with a total lack of disrespect for my position considiering I DO THIS JOB VOLUNTARILY.

You wonder why no one has respect for your postion as a moderator? Hmm.

Let me think. Maybe it's because just about every chance a moderator gets to insult the hell out of that person or there opinion! Or you as a moderator use your postion to lock a forum for personal reasons. Or at least that's the way it looks to me and some of the people I ask that read the forums.

[EDIT: Fixed your grammar and spelling. Read rule #2. -TK]

[EDIT 2: This is the new sticky thread to post your complaints or defend the staff in what we do. Please use it as a reference if we get anymore topics like this in the future. Thanks. -TK]
RezSav

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I say moved to technical. The mods, they're not getting paid to do it, the time they could spend with friends or watching Anime is spent here watching over the boards. I got a lot of respect for that.

I agree with you that the insults that come with some of the locks arn't garnering any fans, but as long as you read the rules, you don't have to worry about it.

Last edited by RezSav on Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
omar235

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Well replying to spam is more work fo the mods. As far as them locking threads for personal reasons I wouldn't know since I am not here all the time and if a thread is locked that I didn't reply in I don't read them but I haven't seen any locked for their own personal reasons reasons. Can you give an example of a thread locked for personal reasons? Is it me or are the mods getting alot of flak lately I mean jeeze I have talked to some mods who where total a**es to me so I don't know whats with "you are a moderator you shouldn't talk to me like that" please they are only human. Not that I am suggesting they are a**es to people but that they are relativly good natured compared to "YOUR BANNED F*CKER" (yes I was told this...though I sort of deserved it Razz ).

Edit: also one question that has been buging me for a bit but why do you skip a space everytime you write a line?

Last edited by omar235 on Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
SmashRackets4Fun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the RezSav completely...

you guys are spoiled and very selfish.

the mods are taking time out of their life, voluntarily, to make this place an enjoyable and inteligent discussion. Are the rules that hard to follow? and yet I see these "recommendations threads" and pointless threads all the time.

What if your the mod, and you bulletin a BIG BOLD RULES thread but no one follows them and every day the same stupid threads gets posted everyday waiting for you to lock down. Are you getting paid? no

I appreciate the work they are doing and the strict job they are doing, keep it up. and you need to think for others rather than your own selfsihness.
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Being a mod on any forum is a thankless task. You want to keep the forum as a place where people can share views & opinions in a nice & preferably hostile free environment. This rarely happens though as people have different interpretations of the rules (if they bother reading them in the first place), or they are more used to a less controlled forum.
I'm a mod on a UK anime forum, & our rules are not as rigid as the ones here & the atmosphere is more relaxed, but we still get posters moaning about how the mods are on a personal vendetta & out the get them because we have locked or deleted a thread of theirs. Rolling Eyes

I actually like the level of moderation here. I don't post all that much, but I do read a lot of the older theads. I feel that the level of moderation here has made for an environment that actually encourages posters to think about what they want to post, so as a consequence, I have found many of the threads to be highy informative & insightful.
Enjeru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Is the main issue that a large number of people sign up for the forums and do not even take the time to read or even notice "The Rules" forum or the sticky thread "read before posting"? To be quite honest, if you cannot even take the time to read over the rules, then you are open to the consequences of such actions. For forums to run as smoothly as possible, there must be rules in place. Without rules this place would be in complete chaos, anyone can post a list of anime, anyone can say "I hate the anime_____".
Why would someone even feel the need to respond to a spambot? It's not like someone on the other end is going to read it. Responding is not going to do anything, it is a waste of time for both the person who wrote it and a waste of time for the MODS.
Me personally, I actually find that the MODS go too easy on some posters sometimes. I would like to believe that a lot of this crazy posting is just people being lazy and not reading over the rules. However my gut tells me that people know the rules and just choose to ignore them.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Are you expecting that the mods will say, "Oh, you were right and we were wrong. We will let you slide through the rules at your leisure." after you make a thread like this? A moderator moderates the way they want to moderate, and some silly thread made by someone who ignores the rules and

Types like this all the time which is really distracting

To the eyes and is hard to take seriously as a result

isn't going to change their minds.

And have you heard of that other hidden second option? It's called "leave". Maybe you haven't heard of it, but it's a convenient alternative compared to making threads trying to fight against the moderators.

and why is it that these threads pop up more often

than BSRK S2 HLP! or? hI iM nEw. combined
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I agree with what everyone has said EXCEPT for the original poster.

Being a mod is a thankless task and the crap that they have to deal with has got to be unbelievable.

If you don't like the way things are run here...GO AWAY!! ANN deals with users around the world. They also deal with anime companies around the world. ANN has a professional standard to maintain and is well respected for it. I doubt very much that ANN would have the reputation it has if ANN allowed:

Quote:
LOLOLOLOL!!!!! ILUVSESSIE!!!!LOLOLOLOL

Or :

Quote:
ithinkthatnarutoisthebestithinkthatnarutoshouldgeteveryawardintheworldnarutoisgreatnarutoshouldbeontv24/7

Please! Rolling Eyes If ANN started allowing that sort of crap, I would drop this place like an abusive boyfriend!

And what is this, the 3rd or 4th thread whining about how mean the Mods are, in the past month. Good Grief people! Grow up! The world doesn't revolve around you. And, if you want to be taken seriously and have your well-paying dream job, or whatever it is you want to do in life, you WILL have to conform to certain standards.
philg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I have noticed some threads being locked unnecessarily. Yesterday I was browsing the forums and on the first page of the Anime forum there were 5 threads locked, I checked to see what they were... and in my opinion they seemed harmless. The mod had justified the lock by suggesting that the poster should review their grammar. I think that's unnecessary and pretty harsh. Yeah, sure the job is voluntary but if you hate it so much now then why do you have to inflict your bitterness on the newer forum browsers?
omar235

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I guess locking because of grammer may be a bit much but I wouldn't think it is due to bitterness there may have been another rule broken...or at least I would think...I guess it depends how bad was the grammer?
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:54 pm Reply with quote
philg wrote:
I have noticed some threads being locked unnecessarily. Yesterday I was browsing the forums and on the first page of the Anime forum there were 5 threads locked, I checked to see what they were... and in my opinion they seemed harmless. The mod had justified the lock by suggesting that the poster should review their grammar. I think that's unnecessary and pretty harsh. Yeah, sure the job is voluntary but if you hate it so much now then why do you have to inflict your bitterness on the newer forum browsers?

Because it's their job, if the poster can't take the time to some effort into their post and work on grammar then why should we have to read/answer their question. Its not like the mods lock threads because the poster didn't write an essay, it's because of a lack of effort.

Also this "bitterness" probably comes from user not reading the rules, and being tired of locking the same thread over and over. I can't say for certain that is why, you should ask them.
philg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I understand frustration at people not reading the rules, that is blatant ignorance and shouldn't be allowed.... but what about people with English as their second language? Or young kids who "WANT 2 NO IF ANY OF U NO WHEN DRANGOBALL Z IS CUMING BAKT O TV".
I recently only returned to these forums and I don't remember so many posts being locked. I think the huge amount of stickies, outlining the forum rules, will scare people away from reading them.
Rolling Eyes
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote
philg wrote:
I understand frustration at people not reading the rules, that is blatant ignorance and shouldn't be allowed.... but what about people with English as their second language? Or young kids who "WANT 2 NO IF ANY OF U NO WHEN DRANGOBALL Z IS CUMING BAKT O TV".
I recently only returned to these forums and I don't remember so many posts being locked. I think the huge amount of stickies, outlining the forum rules, will scare people away from reading them.
Rolling Eyes

Gosh, I was once a young kid, English was my second language at a period of my life, and I happened to not have read the forum rules when I came to this site since I've never been to a forum such as this one before. Even so, I would never ever have considered making such worthless and selfish posts, and those who don't do their homework don't deserve to be heard. Maybe I'm just different from everyone else, but some of the recent posts that have been locked are something that I would never respect, or even sympathize for. Instead, I personally feel that at least half of them are being done on purpose just to annoy people. So, instead of locking those threads, I suggest that they be deleted, for they're nothing more than an eye sore for anyone who's interested in a respectful and thoughtful conversation. Those who make such posts, and/or complain about the amount of moderating done on this site most likely aren't interested in actually taking a part in our discussions. If they were, there would be no reason for such unthoughtful and disrespectful posts.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quote
philg wrote:

You said it yourself, people not reading the rules is blatant ignorance and shouldn't be allowed.

Last I checked:

Teh Rules wrote:
2) This forum is an English-language forum. All users are expected to have a working knowledge of proper English. We are not an IM chatroom; we expect proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. All conversation must be in English. If English is your Second Language, please say so in your first post.

You'd be surprised just how lenient I really am on this rule sometimes. I've seen a lot of non-English speakers come here and at least say something like "sorry for my poor english" or "english not first language," but there's no excuse for kids. They have to grow out of that at some point or they'll be way behind come adulthood.

And there's no "bitterness" here. All I ask in exchange for a locked thread is that you take notice of what you did wrong and improve it. Is that so difficult?

In reference to that thread I locked, yes, I was ticked off. I find it insulting that someone would bitch about being oppressed and accuse me of persecuting them for some cheap and petty, personal vendetta when they've only been here for about a month and a half, averaging .84 posts a day, and claiming I'm not doing my job that I'm not even getting paid to do.

I've been here over 3 years now. I liked it when I came, I bitched just like an antagonistic newbie, talked to some people, and eventually learned some netiquette. If I could do it, if non-English speakers like good ol' Sarki-kun could do it (who doesn't post here anymore, unfortunately), or even naruto fan 09812 (to a degree after a chat with him) can show some kind of humbleness and repent, then what's to say no one else can?

You live and learn, that's how life is. If people are too lazy to do anything about it, then they can go do something else.

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Azathrael

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quote
What? I thought it was pretty funny when Tony K. attached a funny image to go along with some of the locking posts insulting the idiot. Whoever makes a stupid, obviously-going-to-get-locked thread, deserves to be used as an example for the others. Anime smile

Besides, why would you reply to a spam thread to begin with? I don't even read them.

/Believe it or not, English is my second language.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 25