• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Release and Marketing of Shana

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Since the thread I originally asked a question in got locked, I'm taking Tony K.'s suggestion to make my own, hopefully better thread.

Geneon's release of Shagukan no Shana (or just Shana) is one I eagerly anticipated and am now buying. However, a number of issues worry me with it, first among them being the lack of an art box with the first volume. So I'd like to know if anyone has read or heard anything about an art box being released with the last volume. I know Geneon has done this before with R.O.D. the TV, but it's atypical.

Next, so far I haven't seen any announcements about the OVA episode or the movie being licensed or Geneon having plans to release them. Has there been any mention of this that I missed or is it simply too soon to ask?

Does Geneon have a spokesperson here on ANN? I know we've got the Funireps (very helpful they can be too) and several people from manga companies like Seven Seas, but do we have anyone from Geneon? I've never seen any posts by anyone claiming to be such a person, but then I'm not around all the time.

Finally, does anyone have any hard numbers on sales for Shana? I've been under the impression that it was doing better than expected, but I don't have much other than speculation to base it on.

Hope I've written this so that it doesn't need to be locked.
detective392

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I think geneon will release an art box with the last vol or at least i hope so and last i heard they wanted to get the ova and some other thing i dont know what it is though i think there mini eps from a magazine and i haven't heard anything about the movie or how sales are going except there good.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

So I'd like to know if anyone has read or heard anything about an art box being released with the last volume. I know Geneon has done this before with R.O.D. the TV, but it's atypical.

They also did it with Starship Operators and [b}Strawberry Marshmallow[/b]. But I haven't heard anything about an artbox with the last volume of Shana. It's still a bit far off, though. The last volume won't come out until around July of 2007, so I wouldn't expect to hear anything about a box (or lack of) until February or March at the earliest.

Quote:
Next, so far I haven't seen any announcements about the OVA episode or the movie being licensed or Geneon having plans to release them. Has there been any mention of this that I missed or is it simply too soon to ask?

I don't think they've said anything about OVAs or the movie. I know the Shana-tan OVA came with a magazine or something and I heard that the rights for it belong to the magazine as a result, so it's unlikely we will ever see it over here.

EDIT: Nevermind, you must be talking about some other OVA. It seems that one just came out in Japan.

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:46 am Reply with quote
I'm still a bit disappointed that Geneon never gave me my rebate from last year. I filled out the form, included the receipt and all the titles fell into the proper time frame. The again I'm still waiting for USMC to send me my Votoms tin which I sent for the week that the fourth volume was released. I hate it when companies don't follow through with their rebates. This is slightly sad, but I actually bought two copies of Shana volume 2. I forgot that I ordered it way back in July during the last Geneon 40% off sale, and ordered another copy in October! I guess I'll throw it in hte pile of extra copies that continues to grow.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:14 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
So I'd like to know if anyone has read or heard anything about an art box being released with the last volume. I know Geneon has done this before with R.O.D. the TV, but it's atypical.
That isn't quite true--Geneon did release Vol. 7 + Artbox for ROD the TV, but they did release a special box with Volume 1, so the box with the seventh disc wasn't the only artbox for the series. I'd imagine you already know this, but I thought I'd point it out nonetheless.

I've never seen any Geneon presence on these forums--you might have better luck at AoD, but Geneon is a notoriously aloof company. In dealing with convention preparations, I've heard that it's extremely difficult to get permission to screen Geneon anime, simply because they don't appear to answer e-mails and other correspondence.
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:22 am Reply with quote
A box would be great, but I just openned both my volume 1 and 2 today and sort of wish they had put something, anything, on the inserts. All they have is they same picture you already get on the cover, and the release dates for the remaining disks. I mean at least throw a different picture on there, I'm not even asking for episode titles and summary, just anything. At least the covers are nice.

**ETA: I think Funi ruined any other dvd or artbox I get this year for me with the Moon Phase w/ artbox set. Pretty artbox, beautiful cover for the case, post cards, insert with cast and director interviews, really nice album/post card display case. I mean its no pair of panties, but still good stuff.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
That isn't quite true--Geneon did release Vol. 7 + Artbox for ROD the TV, but they did release a special box with Volume 1, so the box with the seventh disc wasn't the only artbox for the series. I'd imagine you already know this, but I thought I'd point it out nonetheless.
Yeah, I know about the book box. I actually have it, but that was an even rarer thing to see than a normal art box, so I didn't mention it. (I also have the regular art box for R.O.D. the TV. I wanted the option of switching.)

I sort of figured mentioning any art box with Volume 1 releases was unecessary, since Volume 1 of Shana already came out and the only special version was the combo pack with the soundtrack CD. If there's going to be an art box at this point, it seems likely it will be with the last volume.

undeadben wrote:
**ETA: I think Funi ruined any other dvd or artbox I get this year for me with the Moon Phase w/ artbox set. Pretty artbox, beautiful cover for the case, post cards, insert with cast and director interviews, really nice album/post card display case. I mean its no pair of panties, but still good stuff.
Funimation ruined virtually all art box releases with their great ones. Moon Phase is difinitely one of their all-time best works, but their Gunslinger Girl release is my favorite. I have the wall cloth in a frame hanging in my room.

Funimation and Geneon have the best track record, in my opinion, when it comes to art boxes. That's why the lack of an art box with Shana has really worried me.

Given what's been said about the company not being very chatty, there probably won't be any info until closer to the end of the series release. I'm rather surprised that they don't have any presence here though. Anime on DVD is a nice site and all, but ANN is much higher position on the food chain.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I think they have a rep on the AoD forums, but I don't think he posts much.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:20 pm Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:

I also love the nice box that came with Basilisk. The gimicky Trinity Blood box is fun, but I find it odd that you can't view the artwork (the connecting image) that is on the spine of the DVDs. Funimation and Geneon have much better boxes than the flimsy cardboard ones that come with most Bandai and ADV releases. Even though I tend to throw away most of my DVD cases and artboxes (I buy those for the shirts/CDs/books/etc).I don't have the heart to throw away the gorgeous Funimation digipaks and boxes. They have a nice home next to the Honneamise Patlabor boxes and a shelf of tins.
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:09 pm Reply with quote
There will most likely be a Shana art box with the final volume (6), kinda like Disgaea.

As for the marketing, I don't think that Geneon is doing enough. They should be putting much more effort into promoting one of their own productions. They also shortened the title to just Shana and then decided to release it with the full Japanese title. Rolling Eyes

As for the OVA, are you (all of you) referring to this upcoming release or the Shana-tan OVA? I assume the upcoming one will be on the last disc but let's wait for Geneon to announce anything about it first. As for the Shana-tan shorts (and the recent Itadaki no Hecatetan short), they're not going to be licensed and released over here. Shana-tan was specifically made for the the Japanese DVD (R2) release.

And as for the movie which no one's mentioned, I'll assume Geneon is part of the production (meaning automatic license).
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:24 am Reply with quote
ManSlayer07 wrote:

And as for the movie which no one's mentioned, I'll assume Geneon is part of the production (meaning automatic license).

This isn't always the case since Pioneer/Geneon released Gunparade March and This Ugly Yet Beautiful World in Japan but not in the US. Geneon is more likely to release their titles in the US compared to Bandai who tends to give their rights to smaller companies, but it doesn't mean a "automatic license." I think Bandai regrets giving out so many of their classic titles like Honneamise, Gunbuster, and Patlabor out and are waiting for the current contracts to expire.
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
This isn't always the case since Pioneer/Geneon released Gunparade March and This Ugly Yet Beautiful World in Japan but not in the US. Geneon is more likely to release their titles in the US compared to Bandai who tends to give their rights to smaller companies, but it doesn't mean a "automatic license." I think Bandai regrets giving out so many of their classic titles like Honneamise, Gunbuster, and Patlabor out and are waiting for the current contracts to expire.

Those two titles were produced by Geneon Entertainment, Inc (Japan) and not by Geneon Entertainment (USA) Inc. If Generon USA is listed in the credits as a production company then it's pretty much an automatic license from day one (Shana, Hellsing Ultimate, Ergo Proxy, Black Lagoon, Fate/Stay Night, Samurai Champloo). As for Gunbuster and Patlabor, neither of them were ever licensed by Bandai Entertainment (BEI). They are both expired Manga licenses and have been re-released by Bandai Visual's recently-established American branch.
Ocean Deep

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Hey fellow Shana fans. Was doing some forum reading and couldn’t help but notice this thread I missed. Though I am interested in seeing what the box artwork will look like, I am more interested in hearing what everyone’s comments are on the dub for the upcoming Shana DVD 3 release! Ocean loves reading feedback; hopefully positive of course, but constructive comments allows us to reflect on how we can make our work even better.

I guess we’ll see how Geneon packages it soon. I’m looking ahead to reading everyone’s comments on Shana Vol. 3! See you in that discussion thread.

Dennis Hrehoriac
Associate Producer, Team Shana
Ocean Productions
psychotim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:35 am Reply with quote
As for the Shana-tan shorts (and the recent Itadaki no Hecatetan short), they're not going to be licensed and released over here. Shana-tan was specifically made for the the Japanese DVD (R2) release.[quote]

That sucks! I was really hoping it would make its way over here, USA that is. [/quote]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:41 am Reply with quote
Don't know why, but I just noticed that the Enyclopedia lists the series as the full
Shakugan no Shana
now instead of just plain ol' Shana. Funny thing is, when I saw the first volume initially, it already had the full name on the cover anyway. So I'm wondering if someone simply messed up or it nothing was ever wrong in the first place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2