• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anyone know how fans could finance a sequel?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naitron

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:36 am Reply with quote
Obviously there are some Anime shows that many of us wish didn't end, I"m just curious how you would go about financing sequel. Could American fans possibly get an American Anime company to get some Japanese Producers to continue a certain series. Just to let you know the Animes I want finished is Twelve Kingdoms, Strange Dawn, and Berserk
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:57 am Reply with quote
Naitron wrote:
Could American fans possibly get an American Anime company to get some Japanese Producers to continue a certain series.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. The problem really isn't that they don't have the money (if it was successful, then they obviously have the money), it's really just the company's/creator's decision to continue it or not... Why wouldn't they continue it? Don't know. I'm sure they'd have some reason though, but I wouldn't know. Although, if you bug them for years and years they may finally just say "f**k it" and do more (thinking of FFVII and Eva...)
daxomni

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:57 pm Reply with quote
American television shows like Family Guy have been brought back by popular demand, but the number of Americans who watch Family Guy probably dwarfs the number who watch most any given anime show by a huge amount. Even if I already had substantial reserves of liquid assets and a dynamic wallet-loosening personality I probably wouldn't try what you're talking about. Anime is a terrible market to fund in my view. Many so-called fans don't seem to have any problem downloading their content without paying for it and most anime companies don't have the resources necessary to really crack down on it. The little money they do make comes from extremely thin margins at the mercy of a surprisingly fickle audience.

However, if you're really into a specific series then why not give it a shot anyway? Most of us are probably convinced that nothing can be done, but why listen to us? There's a first time for everything and sometimes all it takes to succeed is the motivation of a determined individual who hasn't yet become just another cynical do-nothing fan like so many of the rest of us.

Good luck in any case.
Lorraine_Kristine

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:27 am Reply with quote
Haha...I've been dreaming of financing a sequel for 3 animes already. Guess what, most of the time, the reason why many animes get cut off is usually by the lack of budget...like SPiral or Detective School Q haha...
Both had really low anime budget. So, unless you're some millionaire or what and got the guts to risk millions, sure, why not...I'm not stopping you. It's just like investment. Usually, the budget is earned through the commercials seen on the anime or the DVD's. Many companies lose so much because of the free downloads on the Internet...

-bow- Smile

*btw,when I become a millionaire, I'll continue some animes...Anime hyper *dreams* A girl can dream cant she?*
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Naitron wrote:
Could American fans possibly get an American Anime company to get some Japanese Producers to continue a certain series.

Yes it is possible. When the anime series Big O premiered on Cartoon Network a few years back, many people were unhappy with the cliffhanger ending. Many people complained to Cartoon Network about the abrupt ending and CN persuaded Sunrise Inc. to make a sequel and CN helped produce 13 addtional episodes with Sunrise to conclude the series with 26 episodes. If you can get enough people to demand for more episodes to the companies, it may work.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:02 pm Reply with quote
The best way to do this in all honesty is to give into the man and fess up the cash for DVDs of that series. Then encourage all of your anime friends to do the same. Consider money as your way of voting, but your vote counts more than once. If you wanted a politician to win you'd keep revoting for him right? Same deal with anime. You can free load like I do and post your opinions online, but honestly that does nothing to keep the show going. Best bet is to go to a store and buy it.
Quote:
There's a first time for everything and sometimes all it takes to succeed is the motivation of a determined individual who hasn't yet become just another cynical do-nothing fan like so many of the rest of us.

Hoo rah.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Can't really add much except you're more likely to see an impact on fans wanting more and being successful in their demands in Japan than in the United States, for obvious reasons.

Naitron wrote:
Just to let you know the Animes I want finished is Twelve Kingdoms, Strange Dawn, and Berserk

If there ever will be more/another animated material of Berserk, it's going to be once the manga is finished or is wrapping up. And considering that it's about it's halfway point, don't expect that to happen anytime soon.

Nerv1 wrote:
Yes it is possible. When the anime series Big O premiered on Cartoon Network a few years back, many people were unhappy with the cliffhanger ending. Many people complained to Cartoon Network about the abrupt ending and CN persuaded Sunrise Inc. to make a sequel and CN helped produce 13 addtional episodes with Sunrise to conclude the series with 26 episodes. If you can get enough people to demand for more episodes to the companies, it may work.

Don't forget Hellsing Ultimate as well. Because of how well the thirteen episode television series of the original Hellsing anime went over here in North America, it apparently gave enough of reason to create the OVA to follow the manga as many of the fans wanted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1